PDA

View Full Version : Ranch dog 25-20

simo99
08-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi there. I am in the process of buying a very nice model 53 in 25-20. Since NOE now look like picking up all the Ranch Dog Tumble lube designs I was hoping some of the members of the forum might be able to give me some advice. My understanding of Ranch Dog is that he designed his molds to be run at jacketed speeds. Certainly my TL 165 Lee RD will do that in my Marlin 30-30. My question is would the little 25-20 tumble lube be able to run accurately in the plus 1700fps zone? I accept that it may not be possible but would reckon the little bullet would be a great cowboy silhouette candidate if it could achieve these speeds. Mainly looking at high velocity in order to minimise sight adjustments on the silhouettes. Thanks.

Nobade
08-19-2013, 07:38 PM
I have the mould but not the gun. But I make boolits for a guy who shoots pistol caliber silo with us, also using a Win 53. Loaded with 4227 or 2400 he has no problem getting them to go that fast and still be accurate, and there is no need for sight changes from 40 - 100 M that we shoot at. My mould is plain base, so if you get the gas check version you should be able to load it as hot as the gun and cases can take and still be fine with the right choice of powder. I use water quenched wheelweights lubed with 45-45-10.

-Nobade

simo99
08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks Nobade. I think I'll go ahead and look into getting the GC version of the mold and start experimenting...