PDA

View Full Version : Remington recall for .22LR ammo

Swamp Man
08-19-2013, 05:16 AM
http://www.remington.com/en/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice-Remington22-Thunderbolt.aspx

WilliamDahl
08-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Hell, I don't even *remember* the last time I even SAW a brick of .22s for sale.

bikerbeans
08-19-2013, 06:26 AM
I bought 2 boxes but I can't find the lot number. Anybody know where it is on the box?

BB

Hickory
08-19-2013, 06:35 AM
I bought 2 boxes but I can't find the lot number. Anybody know where it is on the box?

BB

I believe it is on the inside tab.

It's bad enough that you can't get 22 ammo, now the factory wants it back.

Sasquatch-1
08-19-2013, 06:39 AM
It is embossed on one of the end flaps.

2wheelDuke
08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Bass Pro Shops had some within the last month, limit 3 50 round boxes per person. It was flying off the shelves for $2.50 a box.

After passing on it a couple times I bought a few boxes. I'll have to check the lot numbers now.

jcwit
08-19-2013, 08:37 AM
After all, it is Remington.

Lights
08-19-2013, 09:10 AM
I just picked up a brick at Cabelas this last Thursday. I'll have to check the #'s

shdwlkr
08-19-2013, 09:22 AM
22 rim fire ammo do they really even make that anymore?
the last time I saw a brick of 22 lr was last fall before the December, January rush. So that would be around 9 months ago now and all I have seen in the last few months is 3 boxes I was able to get by just dumb luck of being in the store when it was there. I have not seen any since.
The last remington I bought was over 3-4 years ago more like a decade ago when I had a firearm that liked their product. A long time ago they were a good company now I am not so sure since they took the Cuomo bribe to stay in NYS.

TCFAN
08-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Just got a 500 round brick from Midway last week. 20.00 dollars for the brick and 18.95 shipping plus tax. Don't think I will do that again. Got to go out and check the lot number...............Terry

Well just went out and looked at the lot number and mine is S31BA1234. So I guess I will go out and shoot some steel plates. 500 rounds don't last very long.........Terry

BBQJOE
08-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Safety First
Always observe the Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety and wear approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting.

Ten you say?

Blacksmith
08-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Ten you say?

1. Always buy Remington.
2. Never complain.
3. Pay the price and shut up.
etc.

dragon813gt
08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Ten you say?

Remington developed the ten commandments because of the 700 model line that likes to fire by itself for no reason ;)

Swamp Man
08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I think we will see more of these types of things from different co's before it's over. Due to them rushing production to fill orders. That's why I plan to wait for a while after stock returns before buying. I'm still setting on a few bricks of good 22lr ammo so I have enough for small game hunting this season. I've only fired about 10 rounds of 22lr this year to preserve the ammo I have for hunting. I just switched to doing all my plucking with my .22 cal air rifles this year.

popper
08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Someone was asleep at the wheel. But it is Thunderbolt - same problem always.

Swamp Man
08-19-2013, 04:07 PM
I think my son bought 3 50 count boxes of those a while back I'll have to ask him if he still has them and check the lot number. If he still has them it won't be worth the trouble to send them back in so I'll just pull the bullets save to lead and trash the rest.

bikerbeans
08-19-2013, 07:15 PM
It is embossed on one of the end flaps.

Found it, thanks! My 2 boxes are from Gander Mtn, Toledo, OH and were bought about a month ago. THey are not part of the recall.

BB

mroliver77
08-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I believe it is on the inside tab.

It's bad enough that you can't get 22 ammo, now the factory wants it back.
I don't care who you are, that there is funny!
J

Sweetpea
08-20-2013, 12:07 AM
I don't care who you are, that there is funny!
J

Put your tin foil on...

Maybe they just realized they could've sold them for more...\

Repackage, and sell at twice the price???:Bright idea:

FYI... I'm just joking around, but you kinda have to wonder...

Brandon

R.Ph. 380
08-20-2013, 12:30 AM
I think my son bought 3 50 count boxes of those a while back I'll have to ask him if he still has them and check the lot number. If he still has them it won't be worth the trouble to send them back in so I'll just pull the bullets save to lead and trash the rest.

Don't trash the brass, those would make great jackets for .223. pull the bullets for lead, put the brass in a tumbler with SS pins, dawn and lemishine to clean out the priming cpd. Then derim and coreswage them to 150 .224 hollow point bullets. Surely someone in your vicinity would like some 22lr without firing pin strikes.

Bill

Swamp Man
08-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Don't trash the brass, those would make great jackets for .223. pull the bullets for lead, put the brass in a tumbler with SS pins, dawn and lemishine to clean out the priming cpd. Then derim and coreswage them to 150 .224 hollow point bullets. Surely someone in your vicinity would like some 22lr without firing pin strikes.

Bill
If I pull them and I'll save the brass if there bad shells. But at this time I don't reload anything planing to start for 410 may move to rifle rounds later down the line.

Lead Fred
08-20-2013, 02:59 AM
Remington developed the ten commandments because of the 700 model

I have one rule for my 700:

Dont be in front of it, out to a mile

Glad I only collect Stingers and Aquila 22 ammo

Swamp Man
08-20-2013, 03:54 AM
I have one rule for my 700:

Don't be in front of it, out to a mile

Glad I only collect Stingers and Aquila 22 ammo
I only buy Stingers,CCI mini mag for the most part. I have a few hundred CCI standards bought because they didn't have Stingers or M.M. I'm glad I bought a few bricks of Stingers last years because I haven't seen any since then. I'm still doing alright with a few bricks of Stingers,few hundred CCI M.M.,few hundred CCI standards and 2 or 3 50 counts of old odd ball shells.

WilliamDahl
08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I only buy Stingers,CCI mini mag for the most part. I have a few hundred CCI standards bought because they didn't have Stingers or M.M. I'm glad I bought a few bricks of Stingers last years because I haven't seen any since then. I'm still doing alright with a few bricks of Stingers,few hundred CCI M.M.,few hundred CCI standards and 2 or 3 50 counts of old odd ball shells.

I have a few hundred .22s in various brands, but I don't think that I've taken any of my .22 rifles or pistols out to the range since .22 500-round bricks were selling for $9. At the current price, I figure I can reload other calibers for cheaper.

WilliamDahl
08-20-2013, 09:44 AM

I have a few hundred .22s in various brands, but I don't think that I've taken any of my .22 rifles or pistols out to the range since .22 500-round bricks were selling for $9. At the current price, I figure I can reload other calibers for cheaper.

Dale in Louisiana
08-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Never have been really picky about .22 except when I was playing with a smallbore match rifle. Then I tried all the expensive stuff.

Funny how I'm asked to pay almost the same price for the 'buy it by the gallon' .22LR now.

I walked into Walmart last week in Cleveland, Mississippi to buy some extra clothes when my two day trip expanded to three days. While I was there, I thought 'What the heck! Since I'm here, I just as well check ammo."

I caugth the girl at the counter with a little pile of ammo including four 325-round cartons of Federal .22LR. I asked how many I could buy. She said "One." There were to local guys there arguing about the kind of things people argue about at gun counters. Finally, they just walked off, arguing. I guess she thought they were going to buy some. When they left, she asked, "You want two?"

I imported them back to SW Louisiana.

dale in Louisiana
(and Texas and Mississippi and Arkansas and Tennessee)

WilliamDahl
08-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Never have been really picky about .22 except when I was playing with a smallbore match rifle. Then I tried all the expensive stuff.

I bought a .22LR conversion kit for a M1911 and quickly learned that it did not like the Remington and Federal standard velocity "promo" loads that you find in the $9 500-round bricks. It definitely preferred Stingers and Mini Mags if you wanted the slide to reliably operate. On the other hand, I have a Ruger Mk-II that will feed anything and it is a tack driver.

Sasquatch-1
08-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Must have gotten to large of a response. The link takes you to Remington but tells you that the document doesn't exist. I checked it this morning and it was there.

roscottjr
08-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Has the recall been lifted? I tried the link because wife found 200 rounds of these the other day but it says Document not Found.

As for the recall, did everyone forget, the factories are having a shortage on ammo just like us, they just found an easy way of locating ammo.. :-)

Swamp Man
08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
The main reason I haven't got into reloading and casting for rifles is due to a health issue. I can't risk getting brunt and getting an infection. At this time I don't have anyone that can do the casting for me. So as for now I'm stuck with factory rounds for all my rifle calibers. My plans to reload for 410 shells were put on hold because I picked the worst time to start looking into reloading gear and supplies right about the time the shortage got going good. I started saving lead a few years back was planning on pouring my own sinkers for fishing then my health issue came into play. Now I have lead,a health issue and a wife that will kill me if she catches me messing with hot lead,so I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. LOL

Lloyd Smale
08-20-2013, 03:16 PM
the correct address to send it back is

Lloyd Smale
E8088 Jinglebell ln
Munising Michigan

Bad Water Bill
08-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Lloyd Smale
E8088 Jinglebell ln
Munising Michigan

LLoyd I googled that address.

On the shore of lake Minnie Tonka.

Only a single T PEE there and the mail box reads MINNIE HAHA.

I notified the postmistress (Minnie) to send them boxes to me and Girty said she was sure she could find your place with the used brass.:bigsmyl2:

mroliver77
08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Lloyd Smale
E8088 Jinglebell ln
Munising Michigan

I had the same idea Lloyd but a different name and address. ;)

WilliamDahl
08-20-2013, 07:22 PM
The main reason I haven't got into reloading and casting for rifles is due to a health issue. I can't risk getting brunt and getting an infection. At this time I don't have anyone that can do the casting for me. So as for now I'm stuck with factory rounds for all my rifle calibers. My plans to reload for 410 shells were put on hold because I picked the worst time to start looking into reloading gear and supplies right about the time the shortage got going good. I started saving lead a few years back was planning on pouring my own sinkers for fishing then my health issue came into play. Now I have lead,a health issue and a wife that will kill me if she catches me messing with hot lead,so I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. LOL

Well, there's always bullet swagging, I guess. I haven't gotten into it, but I don't think there is any heat involved in it.

Swamp Man
08-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Well, there's always bullet swagging, I guess. I haven't gotten into it, but I don't think there is any heat involved in it. I never gave that much thought because I thought it would take a lot to get started. I'll check into it and check some prices on presses and dies.

WilliamDahl
08-20-2013, 08:01 PM
I never gave that much thought because I thought it would take a lot to get started. I'll check into it and check some prices on presses and dies.

I think that it is a bit more expensive than casting, but the bullets that I've seen produced sure do look nice.

Are you concerned with burns from smelting or casting?

Swamp Man
08-20-2013, 08:15 PM
I think that it is a bit more expensive than casting, but the bullets that I've seen produced sure do look nice.

Are you concerned with burns from smelting or casting? Both,I'm on meds that make it easy for me to pick up infections and it causes me to heal up a lot slower then I use to. Getting old sucks,now I have to be careful all the time weather I'm fishing,working or whatever.

starmac
08-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Getting old has done all that for me without any meds. lol

WilliamDahl
08-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Both,I'm on meds that make it easy for me to pick up infections and it causes me to heal up a lot slower then I use to. Getting old sucks,now I have to be careful all the time weather I'm fishing,working or whatever.

I see smelting as more dangerous for you than casting since you are working with a larger quantity of lead and unknown impurities. I don't think I've ever had a major burn from casting or smelting. I wear welding gloves, a leather apron, along with a a sweat shirt, jeans, and boots at the very least. Since I'm usually smelting in the winter, I'm probably wearing a knit cap also. I've never worn a face shield, but I do wear glasses. If you wear proper protective clothing, you can minimize your chance of being injured even if you do get a visit from the tinsel fairy. I'm more likely to get burn marks on myself if I'm arc welding than smelting or casting. Those globs of liquid steel will burn right through even heavyweight t-shirts.

rr2241tx
08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
\\Now I have lead,a health issue and a wife that will kill me if she catches me messing with hot lead,so //

so...teach HER to cast your bullets for you! Problem solved. Please send your nickle to: rr2241tx.

Swamp Man
08-21-2013, 02:25 PM
so...teach HER to cast your bullets for you! Problem solved. Please send your nickle to: rr2241tx.
Now that's the funniest thing I've read all day. I'd have better luck getting her to buy factory ammo by the case for me. LOL