PDA

View Full Version : Meet a member

archmaker
08-18-2013, 09:10 PM
So I purchased a gun from Skimmerhead here on the site and instead of doing the mail it thing, I decided to do a roadtrip.

Made the drive from my house to his (about 790 miles roundtrip), and had a nice afternoon visiting. Learned some things I did not know and made a friend. :)

(Like how they know what year an alligator hide is taken from, Some of the history of the cajun country, somethings that they DON'T teach you in the History book, and other items both shooting and not)

There is some good members on here, and if you get a chance to actually meet them in person you should do it, never know how things will turn out.

Hopefully, I will get a chance to do some work, over near him again, and see him. Otherwise I think another roadtrip might be in the works.

jmort
08-18-2013, 09:21 PM
I met a member FTF for primer trade and to pick up some solder. Had a nice visit and saw an interesting smelting set-up and a really nice shot-maker among other things. Sounds like it was well worth your time. I only had to go about half an hour from where I work during long lunch break.

Adam10mm
08-19-2013, 11:00 AM
I've met four people from the forum in person. Redneckdan, ovendoctor, ktw, and Lloyd Smale. Maybe one more that I may have forgotten. All local or within a 2hr drive one way of me.

Hardcast416taylor
08-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Finally did a FTF with a man that I`d been talking to both on the computer and on the telephone. I`d known him for 10 years, we started back and forth talking after I bought some cast boolets from him on Evil-Bay. He has MS and is almost wheel chair bound. Wife and I stopped in on the way back from Va and a granddaughters graduation. We spent the entire afternoon talking with him and his wife about everything, almost as if we had known each other for decades. Both he and I have been there for each other when tragedy struck each of our families for support and just an ear for listening. He looks in on this site for many reasons, shooting is pretty much not an option any more. I plan on seeing him next Summer when the other granddaughter graduates. It`s about most of a days drive to get to his place, my medical problems of late have limited my driving any distances. His memory is fragile at times, I tell him when on the phone and he forgets something "you didn`t write it down - did you"? It`s a sort of insider joke between us.Robert

USAFrox
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
I'd love to meet some folks from this forum if'n any of you are in the Central Texas area. I'm still a newbie, and would love to have someone who actually knows what they are doing show me the right and wrong of how I'm doing things. I've had to learn by reading or experimenting, and I'm really much more of a "learn by seeing" guy.

Dean D.
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Usafrox, start a new thread with something in the title asking to meet folks in your nearby vacinity. I bet you'll be surprised at how many responses you get!

USAFrox
08-19-2013, 03:05 PM
I may just have to do that!