PDA

View Full Version : My toggle clamp swage press.

marvelshooter
08-18-2013, 06:07 PM
7954079541795427954379544I was asked to start this thread after a member saw a picture of my press in another thread. So here it is. It is based on a Destaco #650 in-line toggle clamp that is rated at 16000 pounds of force at the end of it's 3" stroke. It sits on a piece of 3/4" x 4" steel with several sets of mounting holes for different tasks. I made two tool holding plates also from 3/4" material - one steel that I mount my swaging tools to and one aluminum with a 7/8-14 tapped hole for tools with this thread and also commercial reloading dies. I didn't feel like threading the tool steel swaging dies so I tapped the ends 6-32 and use socket head cap screws to hold them to the mounting pate. I have a length of 7/8-14 threaded rod that I made some tools from that don't need to be hard. The tool plate is supported with two 1/2" steel gussets. The base plate was flexing a little so I welded it to a piece of 3" square mechanical tubing and put a couple of feet under that. No more flexing. The trick is get it set up so it very near the end of it's stroke when you need the most force. There is a 5/8-11 hole in the end of the ram that gives a lot of adjustment and lets me use a piece of threaded rod or a bolt to make tool or punch holders. I machined a bolt to accept standard shell holders and I use the press for things like gas check seating and neck expanding. In the picture of the press the aluminum tool plate with the 7/8' tapped hole is mounted. In the picture of the tools the steel plate that I use for swaging is at the top left and the ejector set up is to the right. The bottom row left to right is the de-rim punch and die; point form punch and die and below that the core seat die; .30 caliber gas check seating tool; .377 diameter sizing die and punch; a .311 diameter neck expander and the bolt I made to fit a shell holder. I think that about covers it. If I think of more I will edit.

Cane_man
08-18-2013, 06:13 PM
that is b@d *** :2gunsfiring_v1:

303british.com
08-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Well done! Practical, portable and pretty!