PDA

View Full Version : My latest lube concoction

Deep Six
08-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I started casting about a year ago. My first lube recipe was a mixture of roughly 2/3 paraffin to 1/3 Vasoline, plus a couple green crayons for color. This results in a pretty hard lube that has served me well, with no leading in .44 Spl, .45 ACP, and mild .45 Colt loads. I had no problems with it melting and contaminating the powder charge and accuracy was as good or better than with any commercial bullets I tried. Unfortunately, it just wasn't cutting it in my .44 Magnum (A 7.5" Redhawk). This revolver would lead up bad enough to ruin accuracy in somewhere between 50-100 rounds of 250 Gr Keith Bullets over 18 Gr of #2400. This despite the fact that the bullets are sized at .431 to match the .430 bore and .432 chambers.

The other day I made a new batch of lube. This batch is about 50% paraffin, 35% high-temp moly EP grease, 10% Vasoline, 3% Carnauba paste car wax, and 2% mineral oil. I had to heat it up HOT to get the moly grease to melt, but once it did everything combined nicely (there were no grease fires either!). At room temperature it's much softer than my old lube - you can shape it with gentle finger pressure. At 50% paraffin it liquifies enough for use as a pan lube.

I just got done lubing and loading a batch of the 250 Gr Keith bullets. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping this will cure the leading problem.

I know there are some pretty accomplished lube experts around here. How does this recipe sound? Did I make any major mistakes? I know a lot of people like beeswax but that stuff is $$$$ around here and paraffin is free if I collect the remains of my wife's candles.

357maximum
08-18-2013, 06:56 PM
That lube will definately NOT have any serious cold weather/ cold barrel flyer issues. The Ep grease proably helped fix your leading issue if it was not a mechanical/fit issue. It would proably not be a STAR/Saeco sizer friendly lube due to the waterfall drop point, but who cares right?...................At this point all you can do is go ask professor GUN and see what he thinks.

Calamity Jake
08-18-2013, 07:05 PM
"waterfall drop point" What the heck is that???????????

btroj
08-18-2013, 07:28 PM
When it melts, it melts right now! No slow transition from solid to liquid with a mush type phase. Added to a sizer with heater and use too much heat- you are now forcing liquid lube into grooves. Can you say bloody bit mess?

That stuff should be good in cold but I wonder how it will handle heat. Ammo may be greasy to handle on a 95 degree day.

Lube either works or it doesn't. See what happens Ina variety of loads, guns, and conditions.

Deep Six
08-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Actually you really have to heat it to get it to melt, due to the high-temp moly grease. I don't think it will be an issue in hot weather. It actually doesn't really get to a full liquid stage until probably 250 F. I was trying to heat it in a double boiler and the boiling water really wasn't hot enough to get it fully liquified.

btroj
08-18-2013, 08:26 PM
The grease or the resultant lube?

Often the end product melts at a totally different temp than the melt point of the individual ingredients.

A lube doesn't need to melt to get too soft at higher temps either. Look for unexplained flyers as temps to up. A wet, gooey lube star in high temps can also be a sign of potential high temp issues.

Deep Six
08-18-2013, 08:58 PM
The resultant concoction. It's kind of weird - instead of smoking when it gets too hot, it starts to foam up. This is how I know it's hot enough to pour in the pan. As for how it works, there's only one way to find out I guess!

357maximum
08-18-2013, 09:07 PM
The resultant concoction. It's kind of weird - instead of smoking when it gets too hot, it starts to foam up. This is how I know it's hot enough to pour in the pan. As for how it works, there's only one way to find out I guess!

I am willing to bet you are gonna like it, proably work everywhere except Texas and Tennesee :lol: , but as Btroj has said the "plastic FLEXY range" will be "ABRUPT".......might not need heat for a lubrisizer anyway depending on how warm you like your cave.

Deep Six
08-18-2013, 09:51 PM
No lubrisizer. Yet. My only complaint with the pan lube - Lee sizer system is that I inevitably end up with lube in the crimp groove and bullet nose. This extra lube requires manual removal so it gets kind of time consuming. Not a big deal on 50 .44 Mag rounds but not fun at all when I'm trying to do 1000 .45 ACP.

I was just working with it tonight and you can take a ball of it at room temp and mash it flat with moderate finger pressure. It might work in a lubrisizer without heat. And like I said before, it has to get HOT before it melts. I'd say it has quite a large "mushy" phase - probably between about 100 - 175 F the consistency doesn't change much.

Big Z
08-18-2013, 11:38 PM
I haven't been there/done that, but I'd imagine you could disregard the lube in the crimp groove for 45 ACP and taper crimp wherever you desire.