PDA

View Full Version : Broken Sprue Plate handle

jcobb651
08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
I was casting right along and SNAP! Broke the sprue plate handle clean off. Anyone know if this is common with the Lee molds? Lee .452 RNFP 6 cavity. I intend to call them in the morning and see if they will replace it as this is the third time I've used this mold and has dropped less than 1500 boolits.

ultramag
08-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Seems somewhat common. I think they are kind of a little on the weak side, however it does seem to be operator error a lot of times too. It's important to be sure that third handle is all the way closed when casting so you have the leverage of the camming action when cutting the sprue.

Lee seems to send the replacement handles out for free and take care of the issue well I understand. Give them a call.

08-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Cutting overly cold sprues with a cutter made of sintered metal equates a broken handle.

The solution is two-fold:
1. Pre-heat the mould to approximately 375 to 400-degrees.
2. Find the sticky "This is a Lee six-cavity mould", or some such verbiage, read it and perform the procedure.

As many times as this subject has been discussed, and the many times that Lee has replaced broken handles, one would think that Lee would make the handle of a more durable material.

dmclark523
08-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Your story sounds about as similar as mine was about a month ago. Shoot an email their way with a photo and they'll send you a new one for free. Mine arrived in about a week. Simple installation.

jcobb651
08-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies and constructive criticism on proper use of the mold. It is possibly user error as this is the third time I have used it, but not sure what the error was. Mold was hot enough...I had to slow down a tad as I had begun to get frosted bullets. Sprue handle was firmly closed...I close with my right hand then squeeze with the left. Now...allowing the sprue to cool too much could be the problem. When I get this fixed ill try cutting the sprue a little quicker.

Thanks

08-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Just one of boolit casting's many learning curves.

Bull Plate, from forum member Bull Shop, is an excellent mould lube, and will allow the sprue to be cut sooner.

Bad Andy
08-19-2013, 09:02 AM
This has also happened to me shortly after recieving mine, although I didn't have the spure plate clsoed engouh. I pryed on that handle to hard and snapo. Go to Lee's site and fill out there warranty form and submit it along with s picture(s) of the borken part and allow at least a week. They took care of me, no questions asked. My mould is a Lee 6 cavity .40 cal 401-175 SWC and I have dropped just over a thousand boolits out of it. I took a little more time to prep mine i.e. spure plate mostly, ans also sooted the cavities up which helped big time. You can't beat the price of lee. Most of my reloading equipment is Lee and I have am a happy camper so far.

GLL
08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
The solution is Red River Rick = KAL Tool & Die

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?97479-KAL-quot-Steel-quot-Cam-Lever-for-Lee-Moulds

Jerry

jcobb651
08-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the Link!

As far as Lee's customer service goes, no complaints here. Submitted the form online with a description of the problem, what I was doing at the time and supporting photos. Within 12 minutes of submitting the form I had a response from them telling me the replacement would be shipped in the morning.

Now to contact Rick and get a bomb proof cam lever ordered!

MT Chambers
08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
These parts don't have to be "bomb proof" but if they were at least made of steel, even a stamping, they would last for the life of the mold.

hanleyfan
08-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Ranch Dog recommends running your Lee molds at around 400-450 degrees when casting and you won't break the sprue handle, I was skeptical at first and so I tried it and I was amazed at the difference, its requires almost no effort to cut the spew, it cuts the sprue like butter, not only does the sprue cut easily but the quality of the boolits improved also. I find if you watch the last cavity you fill and as soon as it hardens cut the sprue and it will cut effortlessly.

leadman
08-21-2013, 03:13 PM
I posted photos of the new Lee sprue handle a week or so ago. The camming portion is redesigned to allow continued cutting all the way thru the sprue.
If you look in the instructions it shows how to place a flat tipped screwdriver to get extra cutting with the old style handle like you broke. The biggest thing is to stop pulling on the handle when the cam is no longer assisting the cut. The very front edge of the cam comes up against the mold block and then no assistance is given to the cut after that.

blackthorn
08-21-2013, 07:13 PM
On a multi-cavity mould, do you fill from the handel forward or from the tip back??

williamwaco
08-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Do not ever allow the mold to cool with metal in it.

When casting, open it quick.

It is not even nearly strong enough to cut sprues that have hardened.

fredj338
08-21-2013, 07:26 PM
The solution is Red River Rick = KAL Tool & Die

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?97479-KAL-quot-Steel-quot-Cam-Lever-for-Lee-Moulds

Jerry

^^THIS^^^ He makes a great machined handle, pretty cheap too. It turns the Lee 6cav mold into something decent. The Lee pot metal casting is gonna break, not if but when. As noted, fill half the cavs front, alternate front to back & when the mold gets to good casting temp, then fill all 6. I recently broke the handle on BTs core mold cutting 11cavs at once, nearly twice the force of the 6cav, snapped the handle clean off.

ultramag
08-21-2013, 07:53 PM
On a multi-cavity mould, do you fill from the handel forward or from the tip back??

I fill from the tip to the back, or toward the handles.

Goatwhiskers
08-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Broke mine the first time I used it casting outside on a cool day. O course RD made it good. I did repair mine by V-notching the break and gas welding using 5% nickel rod, a solid repair but on the other hand I've been very careful since then. In my case I'm confident that I was letting the sprue cool too long. GW

jcobb651
08-21-2013, 08:39 PM
As noted, fill half the cavs front, alternate front to back & when the mold gets to good casting temp, then fill all 6.

Would this be recommended even if I am using a hot plate to pre heat the mold?

alamogunr
08-21-2013, 10:01 PM
I've got a bunch of Lee 6 cavity GB molds acquired when Lee was the only game when it came to GB's. I bought a bunch of Snap Tite containers in a size that holds 4 molds with the sprue cutter handle removed. Thus I have a bunch of handles that can be pressed into service if one breaks. If I get too concerned, Red River Rick is a back up plan(if I don't wait too long).

Storing the molds like that saves a lot of space over storing in the original box.

Moonie
08-22-2013, 01:14 PM

I always preheat on a hot plate, I also start with 2 cavities, farthest from the handles and every few casts add the next cavity until I'm running all 6.

Thankfully (knock on wood) I've not broken a handle yet.

xacex
08-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the club! Many of us have broke 6 cav sprue plate handle cam off until we learned more about casting. Right after I broke mine I ordered a new one from Lee and got a hot plate. Problem solved.

fredj338
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM

Better safe than sorry. I preheat my molds too, but just set them on top of the pot as the alloy melts.

erikk
08-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Is KAL tool & die still making parts for the 6 cav LEE mold? Sent an e mail yesterday about ordering one but to date N/A

Thanks

AbitNutz
08-22-2013, 08:10 PM
They are still making them. It took them a day or so to answer me. They're in Canada so you have to mail them an International M.O. and wait. I just sent my order in Monday. The cost for a set of handles and sprue cutter to fit a Lee 6 cavity mold with Shipping to Ohio was $73.00. Unfortunately, they don't take CC.

I'll keep you all posted....

Springfield
08-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Preheat than they won't break. I like to dip the end of the mould into the melt, some prefer hotplates. I cast a few thousand every week with my 35 LEE 6 cavs and haven't broke a handle yet in 6 years.

erikk
08-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Got a nice reply & will be sending in an order today just in case. Got my new LEE 6 cav yesterday

AbitNutz
08-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Rick at KAL just replied that he received my payment Friday and will be shipping the order Monday.