PDA

View Full Version : Setting my 30-30 dies

cabezaverde
08-18-2013, 02:42 PM
I want to get my 30-30 dies set just right for my Marlin lever gun, in order to get maximum case life.

I am thinking about running a 38-55 case into them and sizing until the rifle will just chamber the case, maybe adding 1/8 to 1/4 turn after that.

Anything wrong with this plan?

Pb2au
08-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I have to admit, I'm a little confused. Why would you run a 38-55 case into your 30-30 resizing die?
Is your intention to just size the neck?
Hang in there, I'm just a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

cabezaverde
08-18-2013, 03:00 PM
By starting with a larger case, one would be setting the die to the minimum setting that best fits the chamber. Then the 1/8 - 1/4 turn ensures all rounds should chamber. Same concept as that used for setting dies for the T/C single shot pistols.

woody1
08-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Frankly, I use cases that have been shot in the same rifle and just neck size using a neck sizer that doesn't over size the neck. Often a 32 auto carbide sizer will work just fine. This gives me give many, many reloads with no more sizing if you're not loading max. loads.

If using a FL size die, make sure you're not setting the shoulder back after each firing, otherwise you're going to begin getting case separations just ahead of the web at the base. Regards, Woody

Zymurgy50
08-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Take a case that has been fired in your gun (preferably a full power load), and after lubing the case smoke the neck with a match or candle.
leave a bit of space between the shellholder and the sizing die and size the case. Now look at the neck of the case and you will see where the die stopped sizing the neck. adjust the die down so that the sizing on the neck is just above the shoulder and then lock the locking ring on your die.

popper
08-19-2013, 05:21 PM
You will need to FL size. I just use a marker to paint the shoulder area. Keep sizing the fired cases until it just chambers then a couple thou. more.

BCRider
08-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Granted a lot of 38-55 brass has a pretty thin wall but by the time you form it in that far I'm thinking that the brass will be too thick around the mouth. Or that the thin 38-55 brass will simply crumple.

Why not just use 30-30 cases you've shot from the gun and which are now fire formed and neck size only? Or if required full length size just enough to ease the shoulder down that couple to four thou you're already thinking about. This plan would appear to be far easier and less risky.

Lead Fred
08-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Yup, shootem, neck size for the same rifle and...

Anneal them every 5 reloads, and they should last for years.

I bought 120 RP loaded 06 rounds 12 years ago.

I load them very hot, and anneal them every 5th time.

I still have 78 of them, a lot of them were lost at the range (dang Garand)
Ive not found one bad neck yet.

I have blown out most the the primer pockets from super hot loads, but none of the necks have cracked yet.

Char-Gar
08-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Take a case that has been fired in your gun (preferably a full power load), and after lubing the case smoke the neck with a match or candle.
leave a bit of space between the shellholder and the sizing die and size the case. Now look at the neck of the case and you will see where the die stopped sizing the neck. adjust the die down so that the sizing on the neck is just above the shoulder and then lock the locking ring on your die.

Yep...that is the way I would do it,

Roosters
08-20-2013, 08:31 AM
I set rifle die to full length size. When I want to neck size I use the spacer from a 44 special 44 mag set under the die, no adjustments.

Dan Cash
08-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Zymurgy50

Yep...that is the way I would do it,

+1 on this method. Further, keep close watch on your case length. The brass fired in lever guns grows. If it gets too long, pressure goes way up, quickly.

nhrifle
08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
I tried converting 38-55 brass to 30-30 once and came to the conclusion it just wasn't worth it. I didn't want to buy several reducing dies, which would be needed to do this properly (reduce the neck in steps), and tried just running it into my 30-30 sizing die. The case failure rate was very high, with crumpled necks and poorly formed shoulders. Try it if you'd like, but I would suggest just getting a supply of proper brass give it good care, as others have stated above. However, it can be done and I have also made workable .303 Savage brass starting with 38-55 cases.