PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down Factory Ammo for Components

Taylor3006
08-18-2013, 08:15 AM
I was digging thru some ammo boxes and found 5 boxes of 380 ammo that I held onto after trading my 380 pistol for a 9mm some years ago. A couple of the boxes are 95 gr JHP that I can make into 9mm rounds if I break them down. One box in particular is some Winchester 95gr SXT rounds which are fairly decent self defense rounds. I plan on using the bullets and primers, tossing the powders, and selling/trading the never fired brass off for something I reload. Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or advise? I have broken down ammo before, but only stuff I reloaded and wasn't happy with. Is reusing the powder something to consider? I thought about trading all the ammo for calibers that I have but no one I know shoots a 380 and shipping it seems absurd because of hazmat fees.

Riverpigusmc
08-18-2013, 09:16 AM
problem reusing the powder may be determining which powder it is, and determining if all the powder is the same IMHO

williamwaco
08-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Around here 380 ammo is worth its weight in gold.
Surely you could find somebody to trade it to for the 9mm.

dudel
08-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Selling components limits your market. Around here, 380 costs more than 9mm. Trade 5 boxes of 380 for 6/7/8 boxes of 9mm.

As a reloader, I'm not sure I'd be interested in scavenged primers that I have no idea of the brand or condition. I certainly wouldn't pay going primer rates for them.

last time I bought 22lr by mail, there was no hazmat charge. Heck, there's no hazmat on primed cases; just component primers and powder.

MattOrgan
08-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Assuming all of your .380 is factory you'd probably do better to sell or trade it for what you want. Shipping is no big deal via UPS standard highway robbery rates. The only additional requirement is an "ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition" label. If you need to ship the ammunition charge for the actual cost of the shipping, most people understand that. These labels can be downloaded and printed. I've broken down ammunition in the past and used the powder when I had at least a thousand rounds of it from one lot. Otherwise it doesn't seem worth it. I'd never salvaged primers before the last few years. Now I do, using them in low pressure cast rifle loads with complete satisfaction.

Dale in Louisiana
08-18-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm in the 'trade it' or 'sell it' camp here.

Might ask around the local shooting community and see who might be interested. Some local gunshops are amenable to posting 'buy-sell-trade' notices on a bulletin board, and some may even offer you a swap, your stuff for store credits or cash.

dale in Louisiana

clownbear69
08-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Around here 380 ammo is worth its weight in gold.
Surely you could find somebody to trade it to for the 9mm.

This, .380 is hard to find around the country then just about any round right now. Trade it breaking it down is pointless because even if you use the bullet they are typically to light for a 9mm and you just made your self a "shot-gun" load. You will be all over the paper

Taylor3006
08-18-2013, 08:36 PM
I appreciate the input, I did not know 380 was hard to find. It's all factory ammo so it looks like its a trading/selling to someone who needs it. Now all I need to do is write 20 more posts so I can list them in the swap area. Thanks again y'all!

williamwaco
08-18-2013, 08:39 PM
I appreciate the input, I did not know 380 was hard to find. It's all factory ammo so it looks like its a trading/selling to someone who needs it. Now all I need to do is write 20 more posts so I can list them in the swap area. Thanks again y'all!

Take'm to a gun show if you can find one.

look here:

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/

texassako
08-18-2013, 09:33 PM
There are no hazmat fees, just the potential that UPS will charge for an adult signature for a non business address and a residential delivery charge.

zomby woof
08-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Put an ad on Armslist. You'll be surprised how fast they'll sell