PDA

View Full Version : One way lyman 45 ?.. nose first ?

Digger
08-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Think I remember a while back somebody mentioning they converted a lyman 45 to one stroke only .. a la star ... or something as such .
Nose first would be appealing at that ...
has any one out there done this ?

digger

Jailer
08-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Not sur ehow you would get this to work with constant pressure on the lube. The Perfessor makes a conversion for Lyman dies so you can use them as a push through sizing die on your press ala Lee but they don't lube and size, just size.

357maximum
08-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Not sur ehow you would get this to work with constant pressure on the lube. The Perfessor makes a conversion for Lyman dies so you can use them as a push through sizing die on your press ala Lee but they don't lube and size, just size.

If you have perfect timing and a surgeons feel on the chapman wrench... you might be able to make it work.....pull your plunger out of your die and give it a whirl....please record your results....I wanna see it on YouTube :mrgreen:

Jailer
08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
No surgeon precision hijinks here. I'd end up with loob goobers all over if I were to try.

alfloyd
08-18-2013, 07:19 PM
It will work for sizing only, no lube applied.
If you are powder coating your boolits, it will size them in a push thru way.

Lafaun

357maximum
08-18-2013, 09:17 PM
No surgeon precision hijinks here. I'd end up with loob goobers all over if I were to try.

What no sense of adventure? :lol: .....me neither, that is why there is a SanDiego Star bolted to the bench. :mrgreen:

geargnasher
08-19-2013, 12:10 AM
I did that once, sorry, no videos. It does sorta work if you plug all but one row of holes in the H-die, make a positive stop for the linkage that aligns the lube groove with the lube holes, and use a lube that contains little or no metallic soaps (they are spongy). Use a plain wrench so you can back off the piston screw before pushing the next boolit down the hole. I never saw a good reason to do it that way, base first and out again was good enough for me. As was mentioned, a certain tool company has THE solution for nose-first, one-way sizing.

Gear