PDA

View Full Version : New store for Oz

Ron
10-17-2007, 06:39 AM
A TV program tonight announced that a USA company called "Costco" was about to come to Australia. Apparently it is a bulk purchase type of store. Anyone got info on them, good or bad.

No_1
10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
We have a few types of those places over here. In my neck of the woods we have: Costco ( www.costco.com ), Sam's Wholesale Club ( www.samsclub.com ), BJ's Wholesale club ( www.bjs.com ) and a few more I am sure. I have been a member of Sam's in the past and am currently a memeber of Bj's. They offer better prices on some product because of bulk purchasing power. The products are ususally packed in larger containers. Toilet paper is in 24 packs, soap is in ~12-24 packs, shaving cream is 3 packs, laundry detergent is 1 gallon containers, cereal is HUGE boxes and so it goes. With 3 kids there are some items we buy in bulk but find that their prices on most items are about the same as the other "smaller" places. Membership at Bj's is about $40 US per year and that get's you 2 picture ID cards with the option of adding more family members for $15 per card per year.

YMMV,

R.

dustinfamily
10-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I like costco they have good products and prices, I think membership is 35.00 a year. When its built, at the grand opening go for the tour, if its good for You join.
Hope this helps,
Mark

NVcurmudgeon
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
We shop at Costco about once a month, mostly for those things that we buy in quantity. The place looks like a warehouse, and one can save quite a lot. Often there is only one choice of brands of say, coffee because that was the brand Costco was able to buy a trainload of. Particularly thier own brand things are a good buy. (Paper products, laundry detergent, etc.) Some things are packaged in too large a quantity for small families.

My wife and I have a private joke from when we were first married about Costco. We hoped that we would someday be wealthy enough to shop at Costco. We never manage to get out of there for less than $200.

9.3X62AL
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Costco hot dogs........best part of the whole shopping trip.

Old Ironsights
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Not that it matters in Oz, but Costco is 100% anti Gun. They post "Victim Disarmament Zone" signs at the entrances in the US.

But then, what do you expect from a bunch of Seattle Latte suckers?

NVcurmudgeon
10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Not that it matters in Oz, but Costco is 100% anti Gun. They post "Victim Disarmament Zone" signs at the entrances in the US.

But then, what do you expect from a bunch of Seattle Latte suckers?

Doggone you, OI! I haven't ever seen a "Sheeple Shearing Zone" at a Costco in CA or Nevada. Now I'll notice one the next time my wife drags me there. Oh, well, like the man said, "concealed means concealed."

JeffinNZ
10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Why do they only want to disarm the victims? What about the perps?

mooman76
10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I belong to Sams and Costco. They are basically the same as far as mechadise with small differences. I am going to let my Sams card go though because I don't need 2 and every time I go to Sams they have too few lines open for check out and they don't open more cash registers untill the lines are backed up to H3ll and back. At costco I am in and out quick.
One thing though you have to be carefull not to buy too much and then you end up wasteing allot.

Old Ironsights
10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Why do they only want to disarm the victims? What about the perps?

No way to. Not allowed to. That would be "self incrimination" doncha know... :roll:

Old Ironsights
10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Doggone you, OI! I haven't ever seen a "Sheeple Shearing Zone" at a Costco in CA or Nevada. Now I'll notice one the next time my wife drags me there. Oh, well, like the man said, "concealed means concealed."

http://www.jpfo.org/alert20061031.htm

Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:43 PM
To: Investor Relations
Subject: RE: Banning guns

Dear Mr. xxx,

This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
. . Joel Benoliel - SVP-Legal & Administration
. . Paul Latham - VP-Membership, Marketing & Services
sabradley@costco.com

9.3X62AL
10-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Disarmament will guarantee that their status as victims is assured to all predators. "Gun free zone" = "pre-plowed killing field".

I prefer being a weed in any such field, and have been a weed on many occasions in their stores. What a shame I didn't know this when Ron and Jen visited last summer--both he and I could have "suited up" and doubled the pariah quotient. I have lots of loaners that work perfectly for just such occasions.

Their hot dogs are still great, and I'll ignore the signs. If the signs show up in CA. Stephanie can "G.I. Jane".

Buckshot
10-18-2007, 02:01 AM
............Pretty common in stores. If you have a CCW, carry and damn them. If they catch ya they can't arrest you. Nor can they detain you. You didn't break a law, just one of their rules. What can they do, demand their membership card back? HA!

OTOH, if you have a CCW and don't because of their stupid corporate rule,and something happens, won't YOU look foolish?

.................Buckshot

Ron
10-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info. They have not said in which state their first store will be, only that they will be opening July next year and that membership will be AUD$100.00. Might have to have a look on their open day to see if it suits us.

Hey DepAl, I hope the hotdogs are better than the burritos!!!!!!!!

Mike C
10-23-2007, 01:20 PM

It DOES matter to me. I vote with my wallet. Too many other businesses that do not take such assanine attitudes.

MT Gianni
10-23-2007, 07:56 PM
They don't post them at their Montana stores.