PDA

View Full Version : Ideal #1 Sizer restore (pics)

JohnFreeman
08-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I started with dies and bullet punches that looked like the pic of the box, and after some therapy sessions in the garage , I've de-grunged an old Ideal #1 sizer and dies. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Any idea how old this might be?

John7940179400

Green Frog
08-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Not quite as old as dirt, but almost. ;)

I've got the same model and was very excited to find it until I noticed there was no wrench. :( Fortunately I found one on flea-Bay for a reasonable price and was in business! BTW, it's good to see you got both the wrench and the clamp. They are frequently gone and can be awfully hard to find!!

I will warn you not to try to do any seriously heavy resizing or use those super stiff lubes... not only is that thing close to 100 years old, but the basic design is nowhere near as stout as later variants. Just my 2¢ worth.

Froggie

mold maker
08-17-2013, 07:54 PM
There have been lots of those scrapped with a broken handle casting. I started out with one and traded it to Lyman for a brand new 450. At the time they were stocking a museum and didn't have a #1. I also traded my cast iron Ideal powder measure for a new one.
I'm glad they have the old pieces to display, but now I kinda wish I had them back. At the time I was afraid I'd damage the sizer and didn't have funds to replace it.

JohnFreeman
08-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Judging from the dies and bullet punches this thing has seen a ton of usage. It's held up pretty well considering it probably hasn't been touched in decades (the dies were getting rusty and the whole thing was gummed up with prehistoric lube).

I actually got some very old tubes of Lyman bullet lube that came with it also

John

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a couple #1's
I use them for 22 boolits exclusively.

I mount them on a board at a 90º angle to the bench, because I like that angle better, the same angle the 45. Yeah this one has been repaired a couple times...who ever did it, did a nice job as the alignment is as near perfect as I can tell.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/bubbadfullview.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/bubbadfullview.jpg.html)

I also added spring return of the handle.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/springcloseup.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/springcloseup.jpg.html)

GOPHER SLAYER
08-18-2013, 02:12 PM
John, the sizing dies and nose punches you got are worth about as much as the sizer. I obtained an Ideal #1 with a collection of reloading gear I bought about two years ago. It came with a sizer that measures .450 and I have no idea what you could use such a size bullet in.

mold maker
08-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Apparently some of the early ones had a longer and skinnier handle casting. I was casting for a 44 mag and my mold cast big. I was putting more strain on the thin handle than I thought prudent.
Several years ago I traded for another one, less the wrench cap, and clamp. Til this thread brought it up, I forgot I had it.

KCSO
08-19-2013, 09:56 AM
The oldest #1's had the water faucet handle IIRR and date to the late 1890's? I wil have to look in the old catalog to make sure of the date. The straight handle was a little later, IIRR post 1900? I have an old one and still use it for 45 Colt bullets. They don't handle hard cast too wel if the bullet if more than 2 thou over size, and they aren't real strong. The dies and the cavities are more finly machined though.

Green Frog
08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
JonB, yours looks like a product of Gorilla Engineering, Inc. You've certainly added some stout-ness to the handle, etc, but I would have to wonder what's going to give way next! I guess we all overdo things from time to time, but IMHO you are really pushing the envelope with that one. The log for a pull handle is an interesting touch, though!

Froggie

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Frog,
the #1 in the photo came to me as you see it...except for the added spring and the ugly Oak knob that I added [that ergonomic knob makes all the difference]. I'm well aware of it's physical limitations, it works great "as is" for 22 cal boolits that I use it for. I've never had a hankerin' to change it, as I have another #1 that is original and in real good condition.

johniv
08-20-2013, 09:27 PM
I have one similar to that but it bolts directly to a bench , doesent have that clamp affair. It works but as noted is not too sturdy. I took mine down before I screwed it up.

John Allen
08-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I love to see old stuff rescued and put back into use. I have a blacksmith blower that I am going to redo this winter.