PDA

View Full Version : range report on the "Genesis Rifle"

milkman
08-17-2013, 02:44 PM
I finally got some time at the range with my new rifle. Goodsteel, who built it calls it the Genesis rifle. If you are interested you can find a write-up and pictures in the Special Projects section.
I can't brag enough on Goodsteel's abilities and craftsmanship. It's a beautiful rifle and my children's grandchildren will probably enjoy shooting it. It was sub79399 MOA with jacketed when I received the rifle, but I haven't been able to see what it will do with cast.
I dipped my toe into paper patching, with not too much success, but I ran about 100 PP through the barrel to lap it and not being able to wait any longer I loaded up 5 RCBS clones from a mold that I traded goodsteel out of and dumped enough 7383 in the case to fill it to the bottom of the neck and by guess and by gosh seated the boolits.
This is the result at 100 yd. 7/8" X 7/8" Mebbe I'm a smilin, and Mebbe I aint. It's just one group, but not too shabby for a first result.

MBTcustom
08-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Keep the barrel cool, and massage your loads. That rifle is capable of clover leafs at that range. Ya just gotta find what it likes.
Try a slightly compressed load of 3031, boolits sized to .360, and FWFL. Siete Leguas likes that one a lot, and is your rifles twin in many ways (they were both chambered on the same day with the same reamer).
Also, Siete Leguas didn't like that particular boolit for some reason. If you have the straight up RCBS35-200-FN, you might give that one a try.
You're boolit hardness needs to be about 10-12BHN with those loads BTW.

It gives me great pleasure to see you shooting that rifle! I'm always afraid something I make might be turned into a "safe queen" and that's not the purpose that it was built for.

Echo
08-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Wow. Squared.

milkman
08-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Goodsteel
Those last 5 shots were with the RCBS clone which casts at 215g out of 48% COWW with 2% tin 48% lead, water quenched lubed with BAC. I had just finished firing 40 of the paper patch loads, and I don't know if I could have held the rifle any closer than the 7/8" group that I got.
I really need to play with that load some, but it is approaching my skill level with that size group. I don't know if I am capable of holding much closer than that.
I really would like to get the paper patch to group like that. So far they are about 4" at 100yd. I know that it is my inexperience with PP'ing that is holding me back, it is obvious that the rifle is capable of much better. I would like to get 2200-2400 fps to enable 200yd+ shots on the large pastures that I have been hunting on.
Thanks again for a piece of eye candy that shoots better than it looks.

W.R.Buchanan
08-17-2013, 09:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with a 7/8" group. That is less than MOA and for Cast that's a pretty good result.

You look at it this way. 7/8" at 100 is 1 3/4" at 200 and 2 5/8 at 300.

I wish I could shoot anything that good!

I look for "Practical Accuracy," in a gun,,, that is repeatable and easy to make. For me practical accuracy is a 12x18 target at what ever distance your gun will shoot, and generally 300 yds. is a good limit, if you can hit a 12x18 target every time from 300 yds. you're good to go for just about anything you would need to shoot. Obviously tighter is better, but when the heat is on hitting a 12x18 target will deal with just about anything that needs dealt with.

I'd be damn proud of that group.

Randy

milkman
08-17-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm tickled to death with that group !! However, I would really like to have a cast projectile with a higher velocity for the long shots. I have always hunted in the Arkansas woods, usually regrown clear cut pine plantations where the vegetation limits shots to well under 50 yards. Now I have a chance to hunt on a cattle ranch where shots are possible to over 500 yards. I will not shoot that distance, but I would at 200 to 250 ( my choice, my knowledge of my limitations ) but a 200g boolit launched at 1600 -1700 fps is not traveling that fast past 200 yd. So, I am attempting to learn to paper patch.... 4moa at 250 yds... not good enough, even if aimed perfectly. Add in a couple of inches of shooter error and you have a gut shot deer.
I know the rifle will shoot. I have to learn to paper patch, and develop a load to fit my requirements or go to YUCK jacketed for pasture hunting.
My paper patch boolits LOOK good, and seem to fit well, but don't group worth a flip. I'm going to have to go seeking wisdom from those who paper patch and have the wisdom to pass along.
I have used the RD 190 and the RCBS clone, which has a bore ride nose, sized to .350. Wet wrapped with 2 wraps of green bar paper. sized to .360, lubed with BAC, recluse lube, and no lube. loaded over several powders with none of the above under 4" at 100 yd, some over 4" at 50 yd. I have played with seating depth and jacket depth, no joy.
Any ideas welcome.

dondiego
08-18-2013, 09:20 AM
I missed what caliber it is chambered for.

MBTcustom
08-18-2013, 09:40 AM
The venerable 358 Winchester.

Artful
08-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Nice group - It's a beautiful rifle you got there

sthwestvictoria
08-18-2013, 12:44 PM
dumped enough 7383 in the case to fill it to the bottom of the neck and by guess and by gosh seated the boolits.

This seems like an interesting powder - a triple base powder? Possibly surplus only from pull down of .50 spotter rounds? What velocity where you getting with the non-PP cast loads?

I have been using the CBE 250grain over 40.5grains AR2206H in the 35 Whelen and have shot a sub-MOA group, I was a happy fellow indeed. Congratulations on a great looking rifle and good luck with the load development.

W.R.Buchanan
08-18-2013, 01:02 PM
but a 200g boolit launched at 1600 -1700 fps is not traveling that fast past 200 yd.

A 300gr 45-70 boolit leaving at 1200-1300 fps will knock down a 500 meter Ram in the silhouette game with authority.

A 200gr boolit at 1700fps will too. 200 yards is no problem. Hell, 300 yards is no problem for that boolit as long as you can pull off the shot.

Yesterday I shot short range Silhouette, I shot .22LR out to 100 yards, but many shot the 200 meter course with cast boolits in Leverguns and full sized targets.

A .30-30 at 200 yards will still knock over a 55lb Ram easily with a hit almost anywhere on the target.

I doubt a 100lb deer would shake off a hit like that.

Go with what works. Deer season is already open out here.

Randy

Thumbcocker
08-18-2013, 01:51 PM
[smilie=1:Maybe someday you can afford an Asperly or Goodsteel could use his talents to revive the make

milkman
08-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Artful
Thanks, and I agree that it's beautiful, like my wife, but the only credit I can take is for bringing them home with me.
Sthwstvictoria
I don't know what the velocity on the non-patched boolits was. I had intended to finish shooting the PP boolits before starting any load development, but I couldn't stand it and shot that one group with lead. I would guess 15-1700 fps from the recoil and time to target. I plan to go back this week with several different loads and get serious with load development. If I can get these boolits above 2000 fps with accuracy I will be pretty pleased.
I still have the PP bug though and would like to get several hundred fps higher just to be able to say that I did.
W.R.Buchannon
I don't argue with a thing you have said. I don't have the slightest problem shooting at targets at any distance. I am just not comfortable shooting at deer with that load at over 200 yd. That's just me though. Maybe the chrono will surprise me with a higher reading than I am expecting and that could change my thinking.
Thumbcocker
YEAH, and maybe the easter bunny will just drop me one off next spring.