PDA

View Full Version : Not so healthy Tater Soup.

LocoFixersbetterhalf
08-17-2013, 11:00 AM
3 lbs of bacon fried (save the fat, and crumble)
5 lbs of potatoes cubed and boiled
1 large onions (chopped)
2 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
1/2 gallon of milk
you'll need 1 cup of bacon fat
1 C. flour
1 brick of Velveeta cheese (cubed)

In a dutch over put bacon fat, garlic, and onions together and brown (on low/med heat).
Add 1 cup flour (or as much flour as bacon fat, You'll be making a rue)
Whisk in milk slowly as you want to make a thick consistency (make it as thick or thin as you would like).
Melt cheese into the soup, and then add the bacon and taters.

You can add peppers, and other things to this soup, but it's so yummy.

gbrown
08-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah, the AMA is all over this. Cardiologists would have a conniption fit reading that recipe. LOL. Does sound yummy. Sounds like something that would really go good on one of those cold nights at the deer camp. A lot of substance there, plenty of carbs and fat for body heat. Only food group I see left out is BEER!

DCM
08-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Sounds DEEEELICIOUS

rockrat
08-17-2013, 10:55 PM
BEER is what you use to thin it out, if its too thick!!!!

SeabeeMan
08-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Beer cheese potato bacon soup?! Yes please.

We're no health nazis, but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't even let this be made in the house...except maybe deer camp.

PS Paul
08-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh, MAN! That sounds not only delicious, but it's goin' to the top of the MUST TRY THIS WEEK list at the house.
Thanks!
p.s. we'll call it "Muzzie's Delight". he he

Love Life
08-17-2013, 11:47 PM
This sounds fantastic!! I love soup season and it is right around the corner.

6bg6ga
08-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I have a somewhat healthier recipe in which I use cauliflower, broccoli, and Velveeta cheese with the potatoes soup base

gbrown
08-18-2013, 10:34 AM
One thing I will add to this, just as a possible variation, not a must do, is that my old buddy used to boil 2 big potatoes to mush, add his milk (it seems he used Half & Half and milk in equal amounts) for a thick broth. After adding his other ingredients and letting it simmer for about an hour, he added the cubed potatoes and cooked until tender. A really thick soup. With some big chunks of ham in it, a beer on the side, it would engulf the food pyramid. (As well as the chloresterol, HDL and LDL counts)
Locofixersbetterhalf The brick of Velveeta cheese--is that the big one or the small one? Seems like one is 32 oz and one is 16 oz.

Gliden07
08-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah, the AMA is all over this. Cardiologists would have a conniption fit reading that recipe. LOL. Does sound yummy. Sounds like something that would really go good on one of those cold nights at the deer camp. A lot of substance there, plenty of carbs and fat for body heat. Only food group I see left out is BEER!

A beer and a little Hot Sauce!!!

gbrown
08-19-2013, 09:40 PM
A beer and a little Hot Sauce!!!

+1 on that, I missed that for some reason. My Bad.

MaryB
08-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Real close to my potato soup recipe, and one of my fall favorites

Lloyd Smale
08-20-2013, 05:06 AM
I do the same but also add a lb of cubed ham along with the bacon. A few stalks of diced up brocoli mostly for colar a can of mushrooms and a lg can of cream of mush soup and a small can of cream of chicken soup. I call it cardiac soup.

375RUGER
08-31-2013, 01:51 PM
If it tastes good, it's healthy.

ratitude
08-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Made some of this last night. Wow, awesome stuff! Next time I think I will add carrots and celery along with substituting some cream for some of the milk. Thanks for the recipe!

williamwaco
08-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Klunk!

That was me.

Fainting from hunger.

LocoFixersbetterhalf
09-01-2013, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=gbrown;2351378]One thing I will add to this, just as a possible variation, not a must do, is that my old buddy used to boil 2 big potatoes to mush, add his milk (it seems he used Half & Half and milk in equal amounts) for a thick broth. After adding his other ingredients and letting it simmer for about an hour, he added the cubed potatoes and cooked until tender. A really thick soup. With some big chunks of ham in it, a beer on the side, it would engulf the food pyramid. (As well as the chloresterol, HDL and LDL counts)
Locofixersbetterhalf The brick of Velveeta cheese--is that the big one or the small one? Seems like one is 32 oz and one is 16 oz.[/QUO

It's the 32oz brick sorry

bikerbeans
09-10-2013, 06:40 PM
better 1/2,

I'm kinda hungry, what time is dinner?:bigsmyl2:

BB

rondog
09-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Gaaah, my heart.....

gbrown
09-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Gaaah, my heart.....
Forget that, comfort food. When I want it, I eat it. Not that often, but every few months. Kinda like my visits to Chicken Express for the Fried Gizzards, French Fries, Roll and their gravy (along with a few packets of their spicy seasoning salt) AMA would not be pleased with me. LOL

TDB9901
10-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Add a little sliced, browned Polish sausage or left over bratwurst.. I can hear my arteries clogging!