PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Whisky pork loin

Riverpigusmc
08-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Method: Indirect grilling. I use a smoker

For the pork:
1 center cut pork loin, 2-3 pounds, butterflied
3 tablespoons Tennessee Whisky (Jack Black)
3 tablespoons rub
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 slices of bacon
couple of feet of buthcers string

For the glaze:
3 tablespoons salted butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons whisky

Melt the glaze in a saucepan, boil until syrupy. Start brushing it on 30 minutes after putting loin on the grill, continue every 15 minutes

Open the roast. Sprinkle the inside with a tbs of whisky and let marinate for 5 minutes.Sprinkle a third of the rub over the inside of the roast. Spread the mustard over the top of the rub on the inside of the roast with a spatula. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the mustard. Sprinkle the remaining whisky over the brown sugar. Close the loin up (like folding a book) and sprinkle the remaining rub over the outside of the roast.

Start the grill. Let it get to medium heat. Pick which wood you want..I use pecan logs, but you can soak hickory chips and drain them too.

Cut 4 pieces of butchers string as long as the narrow width of your cutting board. Lay them across the cutting board equally spaced. About 2" apart. Lay one piece of bacon over the string. Set the roast on top of the bacon. Place a piece of bacon on each side and top of the roast. Tie it all together with the string.

After the grill is hot, set it to smoking with your wood. Make sure you soak the wood for an hour first then drain it before putting it on the charcoal. Place the roast on the hot grate, away from the heat. Cook for 1- 1 1/2 hours, basting as noted above. Use an instant thermometer to test for doneness..insert it in the side. Internal temp should be about 160 degrees when done

Let the roast rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes. Cut the strings and chunk 'em. I eat the bacon Drizzle the remaining glaze over the roast, slice crosswise, enjoy.

Lance Boyle
08-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Reminds me of the pork loin one of my duck hunting friends slapped together in camp. Put the pork and some onions in a turkey roasting bag, season with garlic and salt and pepper, and a generous dose of cream sherry. Seal the piggy up and roasted in the oven while we did the afternoon hunt.

Cream sherry and pork go damn well together. One of the best in camp meals I ever had.

Rick N Bama
08-17-2013, 06:53 PM
I cooked this recipe on the smoker one Sunday afternoon. It was really good, but I would suggest a bit more liquid in the glaze as mine came out a bit too thick. We used 1/2 of a whole Loin from Sam's.

Rick

Uncle Jimbo
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM
This sounds really good. Guess I'm cooking Tennessee Whisky pork loin tomorrow. ;)