PDA

View Full Version : Case damage in 45 rossi

fishnbob
08-17-2013, 09:26 AM
I loaded up some 45 Colt to run through my Rossi M92 and when I examined the cases checking for pressure, I noticed an inverted bulge in the cases about 0.30" above the case head. The fired case measured 0.4866" above the area and 0.4786" in the inverted area. Is this a flaw in the chamber and is this unusual? I don't think it is from pressure because I started at 15.0 grs of 2400 with a 250 gr cast rfp and went up 0.5 grs to 19.0 grs and all of the cases had it. I wish I could photo it but it won't show up on my camera. What's your opinion?
Thanks, Bob

snaketail
08-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Is your rifle a .45 Colt or a .454 Casull? I don't know that this should make a difference - I have a .454 and get the same results with .45 cases that are loaded well below high pressure levels. I'm curious to see what others add to your post.

Michael

PS: You camera may be too close to the case - back off then crop the photo to get a 'close-up'.

UNIQUEDOT
08-17-2013, 02:51 PM
It's just the sloppy chambers in these guns. Mine does the same thing...it's rough on the brass, but it sure is fun to shoot.

dagger dog
08-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey fish,

Mine does it too ! circa 2010, BrazTech Rossi 92 45 Colt 24". If you look at the feed ramp you'll see that it extends into the back of the chamber, it leaves the case unsupported at that spot.

I have shot 2 loadings through mine with the same cases but it won't be long until it starts splitting the brass there.

I'm pushing a 260 grain RCBS 452-255 LSWC that drops 260 grs with wheel weights with a case full of Trail Boss, and same boolit with 8.5 grains Unique, use those in my Ruger BisHawk too.

I've stocked up on brass, it don't look like it's gonna last too long !

fishnbob
08-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys, I kinda thought about the sloppy chamber and I hate to hear about the brass splitting, dang it! It sized out very well, checked good with the mic but I know it's not going to last long like that. I'll have to inventory my .45 Colt brass.

btroj
08-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Ruger and Marlin are no better. Seems everyone makes 45 Colt chambers huge!
I size just enough case to hold the bullet. Rounds look weird but it works. I do get some split cases but I can get over 10 loads per case easily.

Just the cost of doing business.....

fishnbob
08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Ruger and Marlin are no better. Seems everyone makes 45 Colt chambers huge!
I size just enough case to hold the bullet. Rounds look weird but it works. I do get some split cases but I can get over 10 loads per case easily.

Just the cost of doing business.....

Does this method make chambering difficult?

rosst
08-18-2013, 06:06 PM
my .45 Rossi 20'' is fine compared to my Winchester .45 trapper . . . first time i went to reload some cases i thought i had a lemon, was'nt sure if i was releived or shocked when i found out all winnies and Marlins are the same.

are the .454s the same . . .

cheers R

btroj
08-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Does this method make chambering difficult?

Not in my Ruger or Marlin. In multi gun situations either size to fit the larger chamber or segregate cases.

Green Lizzard
08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
yeah mine also, i screw in my die to just size the first 1/2 inch of the case

pipehand
08-18-2013, 10:09 PM
My "Interarms" marked Rossi in 45 Long Colt does the same thing. The chamber is larger than any of my revolvers, and the brass does expand quite a bit.

felix
08-18-2013, 10:31 PM
The worst chambering ever is in the 45 Colt guns, but most shoot surprisingly well with just about ALL loads, cold or hot. That being the situation, I load soft for about all loads I shoot, and only shoot the screamers (miniature 45-70 loads) for show and tell and (shoulder pain). Best loads to shoot keep the brass intact at the base, and that requires fast powders. Reason: case expansion first where the boolit resides and the boolit leaves the case PRONTO before pressure can build back into the case rear. It's a trick I use also for auto loaders normally requiring dies (small base) which make the brass go back into Saami dimensions as if the case had never been used. ... felix

JRR
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I always use a RCBS non-carbide steel die because it matches the TAPERED chamber specs. Lube and size like a rifle cartridge. Carbide dies can only size straight, which leaves the fit sloppy at the base. This also increases case life because the base area is not being contracted and expanded to the degree that a carbide die will do. Neck sizing will give good boolit tension without working the base but will be rifle exclusive.
Jeff

Grapeshot
08-21-2013, 09:09 PM
I bought a .44-40 Uberti '73 Carbine and had my gunsmith rebarrel it for .45 Colt and use a Clymer reamer to cut the chamber. I do not have any of the problems that you guys are talking about, and I do use RCBS carbide dies. I know that it is not financially feasible for you all to rebarrel your guns, but it is an option. Oh yeah, I did this in 1982.

John Boy
08-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Interesting - I have 2 Rossi 45 Colts when they were made by Rossi before the company was sold to Taurus and the '92 rifles now are made by Chiappa (Armi Sport). No bulges and the bores are very accurate.

jh45gun
08-22-2013, 09:48 AM
I do not have any problems with my brass with my Ranchhand.

UNIQUEDOT
08-22-2013, 04:03 PM
To those saying to only partially size the brass...it wont work for brass coming from these rossi's. The bulges are only on one side of the brass and they are very pronounced.

Green Lizzard
08-22-2013, 10:45 PM
it will even out after a few firings

HDS
08-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Interesting - I have 2 Rossi 45 Colts when they were made by Rossi before the company was sold to Taurus and the '92 rifles now are made by Chiappa (Armi Sport). No bulges and the bores are very accurate.

The '92 rifles from Taurus are still Rossis. The confusion here might be due to the fact that some american distributors swapped from Rossi to Chiappas without changing the names (prices doubled though).

EMF seems to be selling Taurus/Rossi rifles while Taylor and Cimarron seem to be selling Chiappas. You can tell by the pricing.

I got a Rossi 92 without a lawyer safety in .44 magnum and it's the smoothest cycling lever I got and has the nicest trigger (also real easy on the brass), after I got the tune-up kit with DVD from Stevesguns. Beats out my factory uberti 1873, at least until I get a tuneup kit for it....

dagger dog
08-23-2013, 11:11 AM
it will even out after a few firings

I'm with UNIQUEDOT, but I have resized each time. I can see why the early lever gun makers used bottle neck cases, that would place the bullet in the case on the lifter in line with the bore and the need to relieve the chamber mouth for reliability wasn't needed.

Green Lizzard,
Do you have any feeding prob's ? The bulge my Rossi inflicts on the brass almost reaches past the already thin rim, seems as this would cause problems with the case setting on the lifter, but as I said earlier I've full length resized after every firing.

KCSO
08-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Not exactly damage more like the after christmas bulge we all get around the back end. Ihave resized and shot the drass up to 6 times with no damage but I save new cases for hot loads. Just like a wife, enjoy her company and ignore the slight bulges.