PDA

View Full Version : best lube for hot weather..

Rio Grande
08-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Best lube for hot weather...carried in holster at over 100 F all day, and long term storage of ammo around 85 F????
I'm worried about powder contamination.
I'm behind the curve here on lubes, so be patient please.
I'll be pan lubing.
thanks.

gmsharps
08-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Take a look at whites lube. It's reasonable priced and works well. There are several folks on this site that make their own that work well also. Just a matter of time and preference. http://www.lsstuff.com/

Lead Fred
08-17-2013, 02:06 AM
powder-veggie wad-filler-boolit

A stiffer pan lube: 1lb bees wax, 1lb parafin wax, 4oz STP

In this state its illegal to carry reloaded ammo, let alone boolits

Had to buy a box of 45acp just to make the law happy

Rio Grande
08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
powder-veggie wad-filler-boolit

A stiffer pan lube: 1lb bees wax, 1lb parafin wax, 4oz STP

In this state its illegal to carry reloaded ammo, let alone boolits

Had to buy a box of 45acp just to make the law happy

You mean Washington State? Can't carry reloads?
Really?
Wow.
Anyway, you mean powder - wad - boolit? Like in a cap and ball? I could do that in heavy loaded Keith boolit, in .38/.357?

Where do you get veggie wads?

Jeff Houck
08-18-2013, 02:06 PM
"In this state its illegal to carry reloaded ammo, let alone boolits"

What state are you in? Can you site the actual law, I'd like to read how it's written. This really sounds like a urban myth. It's been a long time since I lived there, but my concealed carry course made no mention of this.

Jeff Houck

NineInchNails
08-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Best lube for hot weather...carried in holster at over 100 F all day, and long term storage of ammo around 85 F????
I'm worried about powder contamination.
I'm behind the curve here on lubes, so be patient please.
I'll be pan lubing.
thanks.

I don't know a lot about boolit lube, but you might check out 'microcrystalline wax'. It supposedly melts at 140F-150F. A lot of people use it to make wax slugs for shotguns. I don't know if that would solve the problem or not. There's other waxes like 'machining wax' that has a melting point around 240F.

357maximum
08-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Satans Lube=

*BY WEIGHT*
6 oz vaseline
6 oz Paraffin
6 oz Beeswax
1 ounce ivory soap

Melt vaseline and paraffin raise temp till it just starts to smoke....., add soap .....cook at the smoking point till soap froth is gone....remove from heat wait a few minutes...add beeswax.......enjoy.

Duckiller
08-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Lars Carnuba Red works real good in So Cal summer heat. Bullshop's green lube is supposed to do the same. Fred incuiring minds want to know is it true that you can't carry reloads. What do you do if you want to go hunting? I have very little factory ammo. Nosler makes a HP partition bullet for .44 Mag but I don't know of any factory ammo maker that loads it. Can't use in Cal anymore because of Condor. May not be able to move to Washington.

MattOrgan
08-23-2013, 10:36 AM
There is no law barring the carrying of handloaded ammunition regardless of the bullet type in Washington State. We have our issues here, but that is not one of them. We have one of the best state constitutions when it comes to firearms rights. Feel free to move on up D'Killer, we don't even have a state income tax (banned in our state constitution).

Matt

jonp
09-01-2013, 07:42 AM
I'd maybe move in west of the Cascades but east of them is another story. Too many wacko leftest's