PDA

View Full Version : Crazy (maybe) .22 Hornet H and R Project Idea

birch
08-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Well, I have always enjoyed trying to figure out new things. The other night I was thinking about breechloaded blackpowder guns of the past and had an idea that I am thinking about. However, I don't want to blowmyself up in the process!!

O.K.--since the .22lr scare I bought a cz527 that I just adore. I bought one of the NOE 37gr molds, but I think there is too much space between the lands/grooves and the point of the boolit when it is seated properly.

My idea--a breech loaded H and R break barrel! In my mind, I am thinking about breech seating one of those 37 grain boolits, using a custom stop, with the boolit actually lodged in the barrel itself. My plan is to cut down the neck of the case by 1/4 inch, filling with powder, and placing a wad to keep powder in place. Will this work?

Even further--why not seat the boolit, pour the correct amount of powder directly into the chamber, and seat what amounts to a .22 hornet case cut down to roughly a 1/2 inch overall length into the breach with a primer.

Breach plug (cut down case), Powder, semi-barrel seated boolit?

My concerns: will there be too much pressure against the breechplate without any of the case to grab onto the side of the chamber? Will there be too much of a pressure spike for the chamber to handle without the thickness of the case? Do I have to worry about gasses excaping around the very short .22 hornet case?

What about a proper charge of blackpowder?

I know this is a strange idea, but I love firearms that have a hint of strangeness!

fouronesix
08-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Pure conjecture here but the first option is probably better- similar to any number of breech seating techniques used nearly as long as BPCRs have been around. Just breech seat the bullet so the charged case with wad pushes up against it when fully chambered. If it is a regular HR break open they are plenty strong for any amount of BP you want to use. However they have no special gas deflecting features I know of. Leave a little neck on the Hornet for better gas seal and anneal the shoulder/neck area.

Option 2- my guess would be as you guessed- pretty good chance a bunch of gas would blow back around the stubby case body. The slightly thicker body wall would have to expand tight against the chamber walls instantly to prevent blow by. Might do better annealing and sizing for a very tight fit. Still, I'd sure put it in a tire and fire with a string to see how much gas gets by. Are these thing doable and workable- sure. I'd just be mindful of the potential for gas blow by and use the tire and string thing to check first.