PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on cast boolits in an AR-15.

clong
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I have an AR in .50 Beowulf. What is your opinion of shooting hard cast boolits from it? My only real concern is the gas operation of it. Additional cleaning of the gas port? Frequent replacement of the gas port? or No problem, blast away!!

Old Ironsights
10-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I would say as long as you are shooting hard cast AND you have a removable gas block (to aid cleaning right at the barrel) and use a good hard lube you should be OK.

Buckshot
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
............The M1 carbine has no problem with it, nor does the Garand. I've fired lots of cast in my Grand without any issues. While mine is a fine shooter, it isn't setup as a match rifle with a gas cylinder that has to be driven on. I've dismounted mine only a couple times. Once after my first shooting of about 60 cast rounds. The second time was after several hundred over a period of time. No issues or problems.

.................Buckshot

redneckdan
10-17-2007, 08:45 AM
I've been tweaking with my ar-15 in .300 whisper, Last night I tried shooting without gaschecks, big mistake....groups opened way up and barrel is crapped up. However, this gun has over 1k gas checked rounds through it with nary a problem. The carbon build up in the action is heavier but softer, carburator clean softens and blows it right off.