PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 50 caliber Plains Pistol

Junior1942
08-16-2013, 04:46 PM
I installed a set of Lyman European muzzleloader rifle sights on my Plains Pistol this afternoon. It's the # 3090106 Lyman 16AML rear and 37ML front. They fit like a charm after a little safe file work. And, wow, do they ever improve the sight picture! The front is a white bead which you set on top of a white triangle point on the rear. It's adjustable for elevaton. I'll try to zero it in the morning. I like it!

Junior1942
08-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Here's a photo looking down the barrel at the new sights. I like them! Best of all, with eyeglasses on I can see the target and both front and rear sights. Notice the front bead off a tad to the left. Notice how precisely I could set it atop the white triangle. Groups tomorrow maybe.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/photos/plains/pp14.jpg

izzyjoe
08-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Very nice Junior! nuthin' like high tech stuff for old tech pistol's.

rodwha
08-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Mind giving a side view of the pistol and sights?

I've been eyeing one of those pistols for a while now. The mild powder charge isn't an improvement over my Old Army, though the ball is a little bigger. I'd want it for hunting.

Junior1942
08-18-2013, 12:02 PM
The new front sight is too short. Replacement on order.

rodwha Google "Lyman Plains Pistol" for pictures galore.

rodwha
08-18-2013, 07:51 PM
I was curious what it looked like with the new sights.

Junior1942
08-18-2013, 08:05 PM
I was curious what it looked like with the new sights.I'll post one when I get the new, new sights working.

rodwha
08-18-2013, 09:17 PM
:awesome:

OnHoPr
08-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Junior, just for the heck of it info, how would that recoil in comparison to the SBH with 300 gr and a full heavy dose of H110 if you put like 60 gr volume of PDex and a 300 gr conical? The grips have similar angle configurations but different actual grips. For me a heavy loaded SBH is still comfortable to shoot.

Junior1942
08-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Junior, just for the heck of it info, how would that recoil in comparison to the SBH with 300 gr and a full heavy dose of H110 if you put like 60 gr volume of PDex and a 300 gr conical? The grips have similar angle configurations but different actual grips. For me a heavy loaded SBH is still comfortable to shoot.The recoil of a 177 gr RB with 42 grs RS or P doesn't come close to the recoil of my SBH with a 310 gr Lee @ 1100 fps. Not even close. Maybe 1/3. Besides, Lyman says max is 40 gr with a RB and no conicals due to the danger of the bullet sliding down the barrel while you're carrying the pistol barrel down. However, I THINK the pistol could safely shoot a 60 gr + conical load--except for the barrel slide part. I'd much like to hear about that from someone with TVOE.

Junior1942
08-19-2013, 08:30 AM
I was curious what it looked like with the new sights.Here you go. Same new sights. I think I didn't have the rear sight lowered all the way yesterday, so more shooting is in order. Due to the white background in this photo the white front bead doesn't show well.
http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/photos/plains/pp014s.jpg
Hey, if someone knows where I can get a brass drop-in forearm cap for this pistol let me know.

OnHoPr
08-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Good to know, maybe 60 gr and a paper patched 250 gr would keep it next to the powder. Maybe a lee 250 gr real and ball combo mold and paper patch the real with 50 - 60 gr volume should be able to punch a hole in the ribs of a deer at 20 - 40 yards with at least a little womp.

Junior1942
08-19-2013, 09:55 AM
I would really worry about bullet-slide. I'll carry mine via the belt hook, which is on the other side of the pistol in the photo. It works great hooked not in my belt but in my right hand pocket. That means the barrel is pointed straight down for maybe hours. That also puts the butt/grip right beside my hand. If I down a deer with my rifle, and it is acting like it wants to get up I'll drop the rifle--literally--and quickly put another round through through the deer via the pistol.

As far as hunting with it, I see no reason not to take 50 yd max shots on a deer with a 177 gr RB going 1100 fps.

OnHoPr
08-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I have a Uncle Mike's shoulder holster for a 2x7 scoped SBH that I had a while back before being stolen. I thought that would fit in it and under the hunting coat maybe with a bit a modifying and away form the weather. I would probably only use it sitting in a blind in case a deer came up on my left and back side and under 50 yards when movement would be not wise since I'm a southpaw. The gun would be just lying in the blind somewhere for the ready. When I got to the blind I could take the ramrod and make sure the boolit was seated before the actual hunt. Or even possibly a tree stand where bow ranges would be in effect.

Junior1942
08-19-2013, 12:26 PM
I have a Uncle Mike's shoulder holster for a 2x7 scoped SBH that I had a while back before being stolen. I thought that would fit in it and under the hunting coat maybe with a bit a modifying and away form the weather. I would probably only use it sitting in a blind in case a deer came up on my left and back side and under 50 yards when movement would be not wise since I'm a southpaw. The gun would be just lying in the blind somewhere for the ready. When I got to the blind I could take the ramrod and make sure the boolit was seated before the actual hunt. Or even possibly a tree stand where bow ranges would be in effect.A RB would work fine for that. A heavier conical would give more momentum, yes, but from hanging around muzzleloader forums a RB out to 50 yds, at least, would go through 'n' through a deer on a side shot.

By the way, I got the old/new sights working. If you'll notice in the picture above of the sight picture you'll see a thin black line above the point of the triangle. I took a 1/8" chainsaw file and filed the notch a little deeper. It's a mite wider, too, which is a good thing maybe and not a bad thing for sure. Anyway, I stopped filing when the triangle point touched the new notch. It is now zeroed exactly 1 1/2" above bullseye center at 20 yds. There it will stay.

Junior1942
08-19-2013, 02:19 PM
I just shot one-only conical in my Lyman Plains Pistol. The bullet was a 320gr Lee REAL lubed with Junior Lube--of course--and pushed with 25 grs by/v or 1.7cc RS. Est velocity = 700 fps. No change in felt recoil from a 177 gr RB @ 1100 fps. However, there was a big change in POI. It hit 4" above and 4" right of the 177 gr POI. This @ 20 yds.

I also tested bullet slide. With the 320 gr REAL seated firmly and with the barrel vertical, I tapped the muzzle against a wooden chair arm. Just a tap. The bullet slid forward about 3/8". I repeated the test. Again the bullet slid forward about 3/8". Lyman knows what they're talking about when they warn not to load conicals in a Lyman Plains Pistol.

izzyjoe
08-19-2013, 09:58 PM
years ago, me and a freind had talked about putting a pistol scope on his. we thought it would be good for thick brush huntin' during ML season. he had the scope, but we never got it on there.

Junior1942
08-20-2013, 07:05 AM
years ago, me and a freind had talked about putting a pistol scope on his. we thought it would be good for thick brush huntin' during ML season. he had the scope, but we never got it on there.That's probably why it is NOT drilled and tapped for scope mounts :-)

Seriously I can see this pistol as very useful in the thickets where I like to deer hunt. I practice odor and movement control, and I've had several come within touch range. As they would lash out with a sharp hoof at such a touch, to touch one would be foolish. Usually I softly say something and watch them go ballistic. They also go ballistic when they're munching along on acorns and cross my scent trail. This Lyman Plains Pistol is going to be handy! I can see it sometimes becoming my first-shot gun and my rifle for a second shot if needed.

These new and basically white dot sights are easy to aim, and I see a scope as added weight and no advantage. And they work with my 70-year-old eyes.

OnHoPr
08-21-2013, 06:17 AM
You might find something here Junior. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Junior1942
08-21-2013, 07:07 AM
You might find something here Junior. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Yep, that's my go-to site for muzzleloader stuff. I found it couple of months ago.

JeffG
08-23-2013, 11:08 PM
I have one of the Lyman Plains Pistols in .50 cal that I bought as a kit in about 92. I love that gun. I browned the barrel on mine and have always loaded a .500 rb patched .020 ahead of 30 gr FFF. Yeah, it is tight getting in the muzzle, but man does it shoot good! I think the browning suits the gun better.

enfield
08-24-2013, 06:34 AM
next it will be a rail for a lazer sight and a flash light Ha.

Junior1942
08-24-2013, 08:52 AM
next it will be a rail for a lazer sight and a flash light Ha.Not. My choice was either install sights I could see or sell the pistol. How old are your eyes? Mine are 70.

MT Gianni
08-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Mine was super accurate @ 27 grains FFFG + PRB.

Junior1942
08-27-2013, 11:56 AM
I've been running .490" RBs over the Chrony this morning using both Pyrodex RS and P. Looks like P is the hands-down winner in both velocity consistency and velocity. Looks like RS and P both started giving good V consistency at the 2.2cc/32 gr b/v level. P gave the highest V @ 1010 fps with 2.8cc/41.2 grs b/v. Lyman's recommended max load of 40 gr b/v is spot-on due to circa 40 grs b/v being the point of diminishing returns for the pistol's 8" barrel.

Also, there was very little to no difference in V using felt wads or 1/8" card wads. I used 1/16" and 1/8" felt both pure felt and recycled felt. The card wad was Circle-Fly's .510" nitro wad. T'would be nice if I could say my felt wads gave much better results than the elcheapo Circle-Fly wads, but I saw no difference in performance. But the wads were all dry, and the barrel was only 8" long. It might be a different story in a 3X+ longer rifle barrel.