PDA

View Full Version : one SFRB full of 10:1 alloy for free, I'll pay shipping.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-16-2013, 11:28 AM
This has been asked for by PM and will be shipped out to this person.

Do you need some tin...but don't have the scratch ?

I have a surplus of 10-1 (lead-tin) alloy in one pound ingots. There should be about 2lbs of tin ($36 worth per rotometals) in this one small flat rate box full of alloy, that I am offering.

This is an easy way to add tin to your WW alloy, or you can just cut it with some near pure lead, if that's what you have, to get a more economical and usable alloy such as 20:1 or 30:1.

OK, Tell me your true story [smilie=6:

I will choose the recipient in a week...on friday the 23rd :2_high5:
edited 8-23-2013: Since no one has requested this, I guess I'll leave this open ended, until someone in need answers here...even in a PM if you prefer not to be public...

This is open to "any castboolit member" (with a USA "ship to" address) who has joined the forum before the date of this post, BUT...if your join date is on or after this post date, I will still consider your story, but I request another member to confirm your legitimacy. So, if you wondered in here via a google search for free stuff, this is my attempt to weed you out.

Please post your story in this "open to the public" thread. I realize that can be a tough thing, but we are a generous bunch, and a person truely in need will probably get others to contribute needed items.
Have a good one !
Jon

PS, reminder...

Forum: Helping Hands
1. I am giving it away to someone that needs or wants what I am giving away. 2. "I'll take it" doesn't necessarily rule. The giver can "pass" on recipients calling "I'll take it!" 3. The person giving the item pays the shipping so the item is always worth the shipping. 4. The person receiving the gift is not obligated to give anything.

BrassMagnet
08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Real Cool!
Thanks for being a Helping Hands person!

M-Tecs
08-16-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't need it but that's a great offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remy3424
08-16-2013, 03:06 PM
He is one of the good ones! Nice gesture Jon.

plmitch
08-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Yes Sir! very nice!

NewbieDave007
08-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Very nice Jon!

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-20-2013, 07:54 AM
hmmm, no one yet ?
If no one requests the free box of alloy, I'll just keep this open ended til someone does.

Did I request too much in asking for the story ?

Baryngyl
08-20-2013, 05:11 PM
hmmm, no one yet ?
Did I request too much in asking for the story ?
I don't think so.
Probably most are like me and already have enough of this type of item so are not entering leaving it to someone who really needs it.

Michael Grace

USAFrox
08-20-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't think you asked too much in requesting a story. I would guess that most folks are like me, and could buy it if we wanted it, and are simply waiting for someone who actually is in a "need" situation who can't afford to buy it. This sure is a generous offer for you to make, and folks like you are one of the reasons why this site is such a great site.

NewbieDave007
08-20-2013, 06:35 PM
I also doing think it was too much. Maybe you will get more takers when it gets closer to the close time/day.

Hamish
08-20-2013, 09:25 PM
That is a very gracious offer! Now, if I *actually* knew what that silver stuff in my pot was, I would feel better about discussing "I need this", or "I have plenty of that",,,,,,,,,,(I think the scientific nomenclature for my alloy is "Dirt Berries".)

Besides, given enough time, someone who really need this will find this thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cag40Navy
08-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Ill be honest. If this can be used for Rifle Boolits, then ill take it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Cag40Navy,
This [10:1] isn't really much of a rifle alloy for modern rifles. BUT, If you were loading BP or shooting muzzle loaders, lots of those guys like 20:1 or 30:1, that's why I mentioned those alloys in my OP.

NOW, I've read your story in "student of the boolit" and seen some of your other posts and I'd like to offer you some alloy, How about some of what I use for a rifle alloy 94-3-3 ? when I measure hardness with my Lee tester, I get a BHN=16. You should probably discuss this with Brassmagnet as he is mentoring you.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-23-2013, 09:42 AM
I am leaving the offer of the 10:1 alloy OPEN, til some one in need answers here...OR even in a PM if you prefer not to be public...

Bzcraig
08-23-2013, 09:54 AM
John, you certainly set the bar for the rest of us with your generosity sir!

badboyparamedic
08-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I, like many others could always use more supplies, but I think this needs to go to someone that really NEEDS it, great offer hope someone that truly needs it gets a helping hand from this.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
I received a PM from a fellow member for the 10:1 alloy. He's been here for a while and lives on a tight budget and can surely use the alloy. I'll be sending it out next week.