PDA

View Full Version : NEI Quality

Morgan Astorbilt
10-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I know this is a bit late, I just ordered a 4 cavity #284A .451-180 in Meehanite, but I'm wondering if there was any change in quality between the molds made twenty years ago, and the present ones.
Morgan

Woodtroll
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Morgan,

I think NEI did suffer from some "transfer pains" when Walt died, and the daughter and son-in-law moved the company to their hometown and resumed business, but I think that their glitches have long since been worked out. I bought a mould from them about a year back, and quality was very close to the originals. I think you'll be pleased!

Hope this eases your mind! Regan

jtaylor1960
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
All the NEI molds I have were made after Walt's death and are all of excellent quality.I have both iron and alluminum.I'm sure you will be pleased.On the iron molds I reccomend the use of their graphite mold prep. It helps with bullet drop out when used in the cavities.

Char-Gar
10-16-2007, 03:50 PM
You will be pleased. I started trading with NEI when they were in El Paso. I lived in El Paso the last year or two they were there. I used to drop buy and Walt would talk your arm off. It is a wonder any molds got made, the way he liked to gab.

I have one mold since they moved back to El Paso and it is high quality. You will be pleased with your new mold.

When Walt died and Patty had the business up for sale, I tried everything I could do to win the lottery so I could buy it. Rob Applegate agreed to run the shop and I was going to run the front office and do some R & D. Rob is a machinist and mold maker par excellance, but dealing with people is a sore trial for him. His molds are the best every made in this country.

Talk about your perfect fantasy!!

Blammer
10-16-2007, 03:57 PM
I can't speak to the past but I can speak for the present quality of NEI moulds.

I have seen several copies of thier work, and it is not good.

Morgan Astorbilt
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the info, I knew it had gone through a change of hands, and as usual, didn't ask about them until after I had ordered. The same thing happened with Hoch molds when Dave Farmer took over. Quality same, although turnaround was horrible. Dave also seems to keep the Cerrosafe chamber castings I've sent him.

Morgan

Woodtroll
10-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Morgan, have you ordered a mould from Dave Farmer lately? I've got one, bought several years back; had to harass him to finally get it MONTHS after it was promised, but it certainly casts nice bullets.

Just wondering if this situation has improved. I'm not likely to ever buy another mould from him until I hear that he can deliver somewhere in the neighborhood of what he promises.

Thanks, Regan