PDA

View Full Version : Lee has improved their two bangers?

Patrick L
08-15-2013, 09:59 PM
I haven't bought any new Lee molds in a few years at least. I just picked up their 155 gr 7.62 x 39 boolit and was impressed with the changes I noticed. Most obvious was their use of the alignment pins off of the six bangers as opposed to the "V" ridges and flat pins that all my older Lee two cavity molds have. How long have they been doing this?

375RUGER
08-15-2013, 10:01 PM
several months at least

08-15-2013, 10:16 PM
The new design has been much discussed and it seems that as many people have complaints with the new as with the old.

I want to buy a new one, but have been holding off and giving them enough time to sell through all the old ones.

dromia
08-16-2013, 03:22 AM
Not sure about improving the design but they have changed it.

chboats
08-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Recommend temp cycling, up to 450 and back to room temp, the mold several times like NOE recommends to set the guide pins. It help to prevent the pins from moving.

Carl

mikeym1a
08-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I have one of the new models, in that caliber. The mold works great, after you finally get it hot. The boolits that come out hardly have a seam. However, they removed some of the metal from the bottom, and I think it allows the mould to cool too quickly. I intend to get some 1/4 or 5/16, or 3/8 stock, and add to the bottom for better heat retention. Further, the sprue plate seem to have a lip in the bottom of the hole which retards lead flow into the cavities. I used a dremel stone shaped like the hole to polish it, and open it a little. Now the lead flows in without a problem. Had to do the same to a 6 cav .30 mould that I just got. For the two cavities, the sprue plate is punched out, and had a lip all the way around. I took mine off , used a file on the edges to get rid of the lip, and then put the plate on a new oil stone, and gently checked it for flatness. That makes it work so much smoother, for me. Of course, your mileage may differ, as they say. I do like the new alignment pins, much better than before. JMHO :D

Uncle Jim
08-16-2013, 10:32 AM
I also like the new alignment pins over the v groves!

Beer Hunter
08-16-2013, 05:01 PM
As per my other post, I am only a newbie, but my new style Lee 452-252-SWC 2 bullet mould is not the best bit of kit by a long way!
It is producing nice clean bullets, but after only a hundred or so rounds, the sprue plate screw has completely stripped all its threads an no longer stays snug. This results in bullets with a small "nipple" on the base of each bullet where the sprue is no longer cleanly cut.
I noticed it coming loose while casting and did tighten it a few times - not tight, but just enough so that the sprue plate cut cleanly and still opened and closed under its own weight.

I guess I can fix it by drilling in from the side and tapping a screw to lock it down. However, I doubt it will work forever.
Sad to say, it is another of Lee's products... so nearly right, but not quite.... and I'll end up replacing it with the much more expensive mould I should have bought in the first place.

Kev.

mikeym1a
08-16-2013, 07:06 PM
As per my other post, I am only a newbie, but my new style Lee 452-252-SWC 2 bullet mould is not the best bit of kit by a long way!
It is producing nice clean bullets, but after only a hundred or so rounds, the sprue plate screw has completely stripped all its threads an no longer stays snug. This results in bullets with a small "nipple" on the base of each bullet where the sprue is no longer cleanly cut.
I noticed it coming loose while casting and did tighten it a few times - not tight, but just enough so that the sprue plate cut cleanly and still opened and closed under its own weight.

I guess I can fix it by drilling in from the side and tapping a screw to lock it down. However, I doubt it will work forever.
Sad to say, it is another of Lee's products... so nearly right, but not quite.... and I'll end up replacing it with the much more expensive mould I should have bought in the first place.

Kev.

The sprue plate is one of the shortcomings. Just remember, they are built for profit. Like I stated earlier, I have started taking the raised edge off the bottom of the sprue plate, and polishing it with an oilstone to make sure it is flat. Using a set screw to lock down the sprue screw is one thing others do. When I need a mould, I go to lee first. They are cheap, and usually readily available, at a low price. With that, I have to accept certain tradeoffs. I have learned to live with their shortcomings. When funds permit, I will buy purpose made dies. That only happens occasionally. I have about 10 Lee moulds, and they have made me thousands of boolits. If things go wrong, and I get upset, it is time to turn off the pot and go have a cold drink, and play a mindless computer game.

melloairman
08-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Kev.
When this happens to a mold . It is more than likely due to lack of lubrication to the pivot bolt . Not the mold design . I have 14 Lee molds and for the money they are the best buy out there . Marvin

Pb2au
08-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I just completed my first session of casting with one of the new styles of lee molds.
The alignment pin arraignment is good. I did not struggle to close the mold at all.
The sprue cutter needs a final smooth on the underside. It is a stamping and has some burrs.
I gave it a wash in the sink, dried it off and then with a matchstick, checked the cavities for burrs on the edges. Cleared for take off, started casting.
Over all, thumbs up.