PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Powder Measure Questions

What Cheer
08-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Can anyone tell me if the Hollywood powder measures were produced for dedicated uses, handguns, rifles, or shotguns?

Were there different size priming chambers and plungers, or was there a standard size used for all purposes?

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer

Duckiller
08-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Call Joe or Margaret Mueller at 818-842-8376. They are Hollywood Engineering and can answer your questions.

Pressman
08-17-2013, 11:18 AM
What Cheer? There is a town in Iowa by that name. Hollywood measures were made for rife/pistol powder and shot. Shot measures have a slight bevel on the drum opening to reduce the shot from cutting or jamming when dumping a charge. You would have to look onside the measure, at the drum to see it.
Ken

LUBEDUDE
08-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I've had to convert some Hollywood powder drums to shot drums by grinding that "Foxtail" bevel onto a regular powder drum.
Those drums are as hard as diamonds which is a great testament to the Hollywood construction.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Lubedude, I bought a Hollywood powder measure about two years ago that has been ground in such a manner as you described and I wondered what had happened to it. It is clear now with what you said in your post. The man who owned the reloading gear I bought had given up rifle shooting and gone to shotguns. I shutter to think what a new drum would cost.

What Cheer
08-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Duckiller,

Thanks for the information.

Pressman,

I have both a powder measure and a shot measure. Both came with a Hollywood turret press that I bought many years ago. The powder measure has always worked well for flake powders.

The metering plunger in the powder measure is .555 inch diameter. I was curious if Hollywood made a measure with a larger metering chamber, or if this size was used for rifle, handgun, and shotgun applications.

The gentleman who purchased the tools originally, probably in the 1960s, loaded 12 gauge shotgun, and .222 Remington.

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer

Pressman
08-18-2013, 09:36 PM
What Cheer, as far as I know there is only one size metering chamber. Gopher slayer has an excellent picture of the shot rotor drum.
Ken

What Cheer
08-19-2013, 03:05 AM
Pressman,

Thank you sir, I was just curious.

Best regards,

What Cheer