PDA

View Full Version : My Best Off-Hand Shot With A Cast Boolit In A Revolver...

enfieldphile
08-15-2013, 05:47 PM
We all have had one of those "Wow! :) Did I really manage to pull that off?" shots w/ a cast boolit in a revolver.

This is the thread to tell the story. Please describe the circumstances, distance, gun, boolit, load, etc.

I'll begin...

Couple of years back I got one of the limited (5000 piece run) of S&W Model 625, stainless 4" tapered barrel, black sights, Mountain Guns, .45 Long Colt.

I was already casting the Lee 452-230-TC, single lube-groove, bevel-base Boolit (6-Cavity mold) for my .45 auto. I loaded that boolit in front of 9 grains of Herco, Wolf standard primer, Winchester .45 Long Colt brass. I know that Boolit is really an auto boolit. but I had a bunch sized, lubed, so I loaded them up.

I drove to the range and pulled up @ the centerfire Silhouette range. There was this young (20's) couple there. The guy was showing the woman how w/ his poly-frame semi-auto gun that he could hit the 25 yard steel targets.

I was about 15 yards to the right. I put 5 rounds in the S&W, pointed it @ one of the rams, a full 220 yards away. I raised the front blade until it was well above the top of the ram and fired single action.

There was a faint "clank" sound in the distance. We all looked and the ram slowly fell over!

The young couple, both their mouths fell open and their eyes were the size if dinner plates! I just gave a faint smile. I was thinking to myself: YOU DOG! YOU LUCKY DOG! ;)

I switched to the easy 100 yard plates after that. Ray Charles could bang those over every time.

After they left, I tried the 220 yard plates again. I was able to hit them, but not take any more of them down. The load was light and @ 220 yards, almost out of power. I think on that first one, I must have just hit the top and 100% of the energy was expended on the plate; taking it over.

There's my story. Let's here your stories now.

Rick N Bama
08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
A couple months ago I was over at the Daughters shooting with 2 of my Grandsons. One of the G-sons had hung two clays on a piece of plywood at a range of about 100 yards. I picked up my M64 Smith loaded with a RCBS 38-150SWC, lined up, elevated the muzzle a bit & pulled the trigger. Much to my surprise the clay I was "aiming" at busted:) I was going to hand off the gun to the 9yo, but he was awe struck & still looking downrange at where the clay used to be. I haven't tried the shot since!

Rick

TheDoctor
08-16-2013, 12:32 AM
My youngest son. Was 9 at the time. Handed him my 25-5, and was going to let him shoot it at a 15 yard target. A fly landed on the target, so I told him to hit the fly. He did. And to top it all off, that was the first round he EVER fired through that revolver.

Lefty SRH
08-16-2013, 08:07 AM
I was at a local 3 Gun match last year. We just got done with a 115-120yd rifle stage that involved steel plates. A few of us had been jaw jacking about try the steel from that distance with our pistols, so a few of us decided to try. At this time, not many of my buddies knew, I had already done a good bit of 100yd handgun work with my heavier revolvers.
The 1st guy steps up with a 1911 .45 and pops off 3 rds but misses all 3.
I stepped up with my Glock 24 with XS sights, a 155gr RN cast, and rang the plate on the first shot. I was quite suprised myself especially from that gun. The other heckled me a bit saying "I bet you can't do that again...." I politely said "I wasn't sure but you are more than welcome to try...." and proceeded to hand them my unloaded G24. Nobody took my offer.

Ithaca Gunner
08-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Some years ago while at the range with my brother, we put up 2 round sticky circles about the size of a silver dollar up at 50yds. I took the first shot with my 1904 Colt .45 New Service, just lined up the sights at 6 O'clock and squeezed one off. The Ideal 454424 smacked the circle almost dead center! He dropped the magazine from his Gold Cup, racked the slide and said I cheated, using a gun sighted in at the factory for 50yds! I'm glad I didn't have to repeat the shot!

35 Whelen
08-16-2013, 06:56 PM
In the last year I've become enamored with big bore single actions, specifically chambered in .44 Special. I shoot quite a lot and in fact just walked in the house from an evening 30 round session. I usually shoot offhand at 50 yds at a steel target and am happy just to hear the "clank" of the bullet hitting. A few weeks ago I was shooting my tried and true Uberti like I usually do and in this particular 5-shot string all of them hit the target, not too unusual, but as I approached the target to paint it saw this:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/4450ydsoffhand_zpsc57c5a07.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/4450ydsoffhand_zpsc57c5a07.jpg.html)

Good enough!

35W

waco
08-17-2013, 11:26 AM
On a dare, I had one round left in my Smith 14-2 K-38, 6" barrel. There was a broken piece of a clay target about the size of a silver dollar up on the bank about 60 yards away. I had one shot and had to shoot it one handed, with my left hand!
I'm a righty by the way. Pulled the hammer back, aim, sent the 158 grain SWC flying and connected! lol
Sure I could never do it again!

rintinglen
08-17-2013, 11:40 AM
I broke a clay pigeon on the 100 yard line with my old 6 inch Colt Python.

I was being heckled by a friend of mine who was a real 1911 fan. He was teasing me about my low capacity, slow to reload, archaic firearm, and bragging on Browning's wondergun. I lined up the front sight with top of the little orange dot, cocked the hammer, and let fly with one round. That Speer 146 grain half jacketed SWC HP blew that pigeon to smithereens. I turned to him and said, "you don't need a bunch of bullets, if you can hit what you aim at."

I wouldn't have tried another shot for a hundred bucks--cause I doubt I could have made it.

Lloyd Smale
08-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Brother in law and myself were tracking a 6 point buck my son gut shot. It was dark and he was carrying a light and i had my 500 linebaugh in my holster. My brother in law all of of sudden said theres eyes and we could see them at about 60 yards. The deer jumped up and took off running straight away from us. Brother in law had the light on it. I quickly drew my 500 and just took a hail mary shot and dropped it right in its tracks. I dont even remember aiming and doubt i did. I hit it right in the but hole. I saw the deer fold and my brother in law looked at me and i holstered the gun like it was no big deal. He still tells all his friends about my matt dillion shooting ability. Told him later it was nothing but pure stinking luck but he still thinks im a pistol God of some kind.

**oneshot**
08-18-2013, 07:52 AM
My Dads 357mag Ruger Blackhawk, the one that I brag to all my shooting buddies on it's accuracy. We were shooting at various targets ranging from steel plates to bowling pins to grapes at various yardages with rifles and handguns. I had one cylinder of 357's left and most of the targets were down. My buddy said, hit the bowling pin in the tire track(150yds). I picked up, aimed, bang--thump rolled it up the hill and it rolled back. Again, bang-- thump rolled up rolled back. 4 out of 5 shots hit and rolled it up the hill. The 6th shot hit under the pin in the mud, bounced the pin upward and stood it back up in the tire track like we set it there. I just turned, smiled and said to my buddies " OK, your turn". I wish I could have kept a straight face when I said it.

huntrick64
08-18-2013, 08:22 AM
About 30-some years ago a few of my high school buddies and I took a "long lunch" away from campus and ended up at the local river bustin bottles and cans with 22's. (Remember when we could take guns to school as long as you kept them in your truck?) I had my "extremely inaccurate" 45 cal percussion muzzleloader pistol that I finished from a CVA kit. If you stuck your finger in the end of the barrel and shot the gun, you would miss hitting your finger 4 out of 5 shots, it was that bad. Anyway, my friends wanted to shoot it. I loaded it up and was going to shoot it first to show them how cool I looked at the time. The river was bank full and there was a lot of wood and other debris floating down the river at a pretty fast clip. I said "see that tree floating down the river about 50 yards away?" I pointed the gun somewhat in the direction of the floating tree and fired. I couldn't see for the smoke, but the others saw me shoot off the only leaf left on a little branch sticking straight up in the air from a moving target 50 yards away! Of course I acted like that was normal and reloaded it for them again and again just to watch them to fail again and again. I never shot that pistol again, should have sold it on-site to one of those suckers. I found that gun just last weekend stuck down in a box of stuff. It still looks good.

waksupi
08-18-2013, 11:31 AM
At one of our BPCR shoots, some of us were playing with our revolvers during lunch break. We were shooting at the 950 yard target. After we walked the shots in, we could put one or two on the target for each cylinder. Lots of luck involved, for sure. I remember aiming two mountain ridges over, and aiming at the top of a lone pine tree on the ridge to be on.

W.R.Buchanan
08-18-2013, 02:24 PM
I once was shooting at the range sighting in a rifle at 100 yards and while looking thru the spotting scope I saw a fly land on the target.

I picked up my S&W M29 and sent a round downrange nailing the fly and this was verified by my friend who was spotting and the fly guts all over the target.

I'm so FOS! :kidding:

Randy

Fishman
08-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Pig hunting with my super redhawk with a 2x leupold on it. I had a small boar coming past me on a sendero about 25 yards away as I sat up against a tree. I put a round through his ribs and he jumped straight up and when he hit the grounf he was headed right for me! I had no time to think and all I remember was seeing his forehead in the scope and I pulled the trigger. He dropped and slid to a stop about 30 feet away. I dont think he was intentionally charging me but Im sure glad I got that lucky shot off.

It was a .44 mag loaded with H110 and the Lee 310 grain gas checked boolit

1Shirt
08-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Must have been over 40 years ago, but I saw my brother with a 357 double action colt kill a p-dog at a bit over 200 yds. Took him 3-4 shots to walk it in, and he shot laying down Kieth style with his gun hand along side of his knee. Only tried it once at that range. He also took a few at under 100 with 2-3 walk them in shots.
1Shirt!

EMC45
08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Was shooting the Model 30 I frame Smith in .32 S&W-L the other day at just paper targets and fired off 6 it a tight little cluster at around 15+ yds. Went to check on the target and found that 4 went in one ragged hole and the other 2 were stacked one on top of the other off to the left. Couldn't do it again (I tried), told my Dad "I guess I got all the wiggling just right between shots. There are other shots, but that one is of most recent memory.

RPRNY
08-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Just last week at our place in VT we had a little gathering and a fellow was rightly showing off a new Ruger in .357 MAG and getting a little boastful about his abilities (albeit making the shots to back the claims) He got a little above himself and started trying to shoot clays tossed in the air (with a high bank behind it - no fliers) about 10 yards out. He couldn't hit one. When the sixth went up, he shot and missed. Before it hit the ground, I broke it with a .454 round ball from my 1858 Remington cap and ball over 30 grs Swiss. Cool as can be, I holstered the revolver and walked back up to the house through the smoke without saying a word.

The next day when everyone had left, I shot 24 times at clays tossed up in the same place and distance. I couldn't touch one of them.

1Shirt
08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Like the lettering on the pregnant ladies tee shirt says "poo-poo occurs"!
1Shirt!

NLS1
09-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Last fall I was shooting with a buddy at his place, and we quite ambitiously set clay pigeons way out to hit with rifles hoping we would have a chance at them.

After awhile I pulled out my 1911 Kimber and started having a go at some of the closer pigeons out to 50 yards. Decent success rate. But then it occurred to me that I had never shot handguns past about 50 yards ever.

There were two pigeons left at 150 yards, measured with a wheel. I told my buddy I was gonna see if I could walk one in. Now this was standing, with handloads, I shot and let each one surprise me. After a few shots I had walked it in pretty close with clods of mud flying up. Maybe a foot or foot and a half radius from the pigeon so I knew how to hold for elevation, not too much wind.

Suddenly after about 2 magazines, it exploded and disappeared! I jumped up and down like I had won some Olympic event. Told him what happened and we walked out there. Sure enough, just little pieces left. What a way to burn some ammo! Fun stuff.

Dan

NLS1
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Last fall I was shooting with a buddy at his place, and we quite ambitiously set clay pigeons way out to hit with rifles hoping we would have a chance at them.

After awhile I pulled out my 1911 Kimber and started having a go at some of the closer pigeons out to 50 yards. Decent success rate. But then it occurred to me that I had never shot handguns past about 50 yards ever.

There were two pigeons left at 150 yards, measured with a wheel. I told my buddy I was gonna see if I could walk one in. Now this was standing, with handloads, I shot and let each one surprise me. After a few shots I had walked it in pretty close with clods of mud flying up. Maybe a foot or foot and a half radius from the pigeon so I knew how to hold for elevation, not too much wind.

Suddenly after about 2 magazines, it exploded and disappeared! I jumped up and down like I had won some Olympic event. Told him what happened and we walked out there. Sure enough, just little pieces left. What a way to burn some ammo! Fun stuff.

Dan

TCLouis
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Llyod Small et al

I really think if a gun points well for a person they can be surprisingly accurate shooting and hitting where they are looking/concentrating.
No aiming involved at all.

Win94ae
09-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I had just filed my sight on the Pieta replica of the Remington New Model Army 44 cal to get the horizontal POA to match the POI; and here was the longish distance test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6gojrtqY5A

I had 2 misfires so there were only 4 shots, but it made a pretty good group. I need to better prepare the flash-holes for shooting.

I just started casting for my 686 so I really haven't shot it using cast, other than when load developing. I might try some long shots tomorrow.

BigboreShooter
09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Last fall during the Sept. doe season. I dropped a doe at 72 yds standing with my right forearm resting against a tree, using my FA 97 44spl. Lyman 429215 and 17.5grs of 2400.
BigboreShooter

RPRNY
09-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I had just filed my sight on the Pieta replica of the Remington New Model Army 44 cal to get the horizontal POA to match the POI; and here was the longish distance test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6gojrtqY5A

I had 2 misfires so there were only 4 shots, but it made a pretty good group. I need to better prepare the flash-holes for shooting.

I just started casting for my 686 so I really haven't shot it using cast, other than when load developing. I might try some long shots tomorrow.

Nice shooting! Great revolver.

taco650
09-07-2013, 09:36 PM
It was in the early 90's. I was at a local private club range I belonged to and was shooting with some friends. I was shooting my Dan Wesson 44mag with a light load and 240 hard cast SWC (store bought). I was shooting at a 16" round plate (affectionately called "The gong") from the 100 yard line using a two-handed standing hold. I had been shooting and loading a lot back then and was able to hit 4 out of 5 shots. After that, my buddies were standing there silently. None of them ever accused me of being a bad shot after that either. Needless to say, those days are gone because I'm out of practice. Good memories!

Win94ae
09-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Nice shooting! Great revolver.

Thank you!

I took my S&W 686 out with 38spl cartridges using the Lee 158gr SWC today. I didn't do so well but I did hit an 8 inch target at 150 yards 1 of 4 shots offhand. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT--Ky-GO6U

I had one heck of a time finding my POI... but I now realize that I probably have enough sight adjustment to hit at 200 or maybe even 225 yards with that load.

Thanks again!

Rick R
09-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Once upon a time in deer camp. ;) One of my co-workers was trying to hit an empty 20 oz soda bottle that was sitting on a pile of logs at about 40 yards using his 10mm 1911 with a picnic table as a benchrest. After watching him burn thru a magazine or two I walked up and asked "what-cha-doin'?". Then proceeded to draw my S&W Mountain Gun, squared up in an isosceles stance and dead centered it with a 240gr SWC driven by 10.0gr of Unique.
One shot = dead bottle, the only acceptable comment is to holster and walk off (smiling).

ironhead7544
09-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Many years ago I found a Lyman 4 cavity mold in a gunshop. It was covered in a thick layer of dust and the owner said no one had looked at it for years. It was a RFN 205 gr GC 44 cal. The bullet had no crimp groove. I think the number was 431098 but dont really remember. I still have some of the bullets around here, but the mold is gone.

I worked up a max load of WW296 for my S&W M29 8 and 3/8 inch nickle with a 2x Leupold scope. Was very accurate. Crimped over the ogive a little.

Went out to shoot one day at a friends farm where a range was set up. Put out some targets at 200 yards. We found a 12 inch section of 4x4 so I set it up on its end. With two people watching through scopes, I shot offhand and hit the wood on the first shot. Must have hit just right as it sent the piece spinning. Pure luck but it looked good.

smkummer
09-09-2013, 01:27 PM
100 yards, 16" metal plate and the first shot firing a Colt 2" detective special 38 double action. Bang then a "ting". I can't remember if I put the gun down or kept trying.

akajun
09-09-2013, 02:20 PM
When I shot Smallbore in competetion regularly in the 90's, we had practice every saturday morning. When a new kid would show up and start running their mouth, we would shoot the thumbtacks holding up their targets while they were shooting, causing their target to fall. They would then begin complaining that the thumbtacks were no good, but then we would point out that they were pushing the tacks in too far and tearing the paper and prove that fact by pointing out the .22 caliber hole where the tacks used to be and that the bullet's "pressure wave" was driving the tacks in too far. Then we would tell them they just need to barely press them in, which they would do, so then the targets would fall on their own.
When we felt they had been humbled enough, we would tell them the truth, stop running their mouth and listen, and they might be able to learn to shoot well enough to shoot out thumbtacks with an iron sight .22 from standing, like we just did to them.

redneckdan
09-09-2013, 07:29 PM
I knocked the head off a grouse at 30 yds one time with my model 19 and an RCBS 150 KT over 296.

My then fiancé and I were returning from a camping trip and there were three birds dust bathing in the road. I stopped the truck, stepped out and zinged the closest one with the first shot. Knocked the head off an inch above the breast meat. Probably will never accomplish that again.

RPRNY
09-10-2013, 01:15 AM
I knocked the head off a grouse at 30 yds one time with my model 19 and an RCBS 150 KT over 296.

My then fiancé and I were returning from a camping trip and there were three birds dust bathing in the road. I stopped the truck, stepped out and zinged the closest one with the first shot. Knocked the head off an inch above the breast meat. Probably will never accomplish that again.

Classic Elmer Keith shot! Well done.

NoZombies
09-10-2013, 06:22 AM
I don't know if it's my best revolver shot ever, but it's probably my favorite;

A few years ago, there were some kids who couldn't have been more than about 20 at the local public range. Thy were trying to get their magical black rifle sighted in. It had flashlights, a laser, a bipod and a ridiculously large scope attached along with who-knows what all else. Yet, in-spite of all that, they couldn't get on paper at 100 yards.

After giving up on the paper targets, they set out some 20oz water bottles at the 100 yard line the next time the range was cold. I don't know why they thought that they would hit the relatively small water bottles when they couldn't hit a 12x18 inch paper target, but they continued their fruitless attempt. After they gave up and started packing, I asked if they would mind me shooting at their water bottles. The ring leader laughed and said "If I can't hit it with my 'sniper rifle' you'll never hit it with 'that thing'." I smiled and with my elbows propped on the bench, proceeded to hit all 3 of the water bottles with 3 shots from my .32 target revolver.

To be fair, if I can see it, I can hit that size target about 50% of the time at that range using that revolver with the load I was shooting that day. I was just lucky to get all the hits without a miss.

After some huffing and puffing, the ring leader asked if I could help him get his rifle sighted in. I still see him occasionally at the range, and he's become a much better shooter. His rifles have become significantly less "tactical" as well.

44MAG#1
09-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I think everyone has had an all time lucky shot. I don't pay any attention to them myself. It is what I can do most of the time that counts.
So I try to put them out of my mind. I don't bring them up when talking shooting. No point in it. Unless the subject is a talk on pure luck of some type, not necessarily shooting.

35 Whelen
09-10-2013, 01:46 PM
I think everyone has had an all time lucky shot. I don't pay any attention to them myself. It is what I can do most of the time that counts.
So I try to put them out of my mind. I don't bring them up when talking shooting. No point in it. Unless the subject is a talk on pure luck of some type, not necessarily shooting.

Nice post. You should change your handle to "Wet Blanket"[smilie=l:

BruceB
09-10-2013, 02:06 PM
In the Northwest Territories, once a non-resident fills his tags he is no longer allowed to carry a rifle.

Since our stream fishing was VERY good, successful hunters in our Barren-Ground caribou camp thus became fishermen, and needed a guard against grizzlies.

I was performing guard duty with one of my TRW M-14s, and when we broke for a shore lunch a South African gent asked if I could "hit that rock out there" in the water. It was an easy shot pf about 100 yards, so I hit it with the M-14.

Then I drew my hidden S&W .44 Mountain Revolver, and said, "Watch the middle rock in that group of three over there." My first shot threw water on the rock.... the range, scaled off later on a good map, was 550 yards. Some astonished hunters then had to try it themselves. The revolver has "Elmer Keith" gold bars on the ramp front sight for distance work, and they work extremely well (with practice).

I must add that we were many, many miles from any other people, if anyone is concerned about my shooting at water.

HABCAN
09-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Back in the 80's my then BIL was next to me on the 20 yd. line shooting his brand new Redhawk .41 Mag for zero and having trouble, asked me if I'd check it out for him. He loaded one round in the cylinder. I had never fired a Redhawk, (nor ever have since.) One hand, offhand. BANG! We couldn't see a hole but I was sure it was a good shot. We walked up and found it had perfectly centered the X-ring, without touching the white perimeter line. I handed him his gun , smiled, and told him "Yup. It's good." You don't try to repeat those shots.

God has allotted to each shooter a certain number of 'lucky' shots for his lifetime. You have to shoot a huge number of rounds to make sure you use up all of your 'allotment'.

44MAG#1
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
"Nice post. You should change your handle to "Wet Blanket"

I didn't mean it that way regardless of how you took it. I have heard people try to use one exploit of pure luck marksmanship to foster the belief they are actually that good. Not saying any of the esteemed on here does that but we know how humans are. Maybe not on here but who knows where else.
Just because I try to stay rooted in actuality doesn't mean anyone else needs to.
I shot a group this morn at 25 yards offhand with a Springfield Micro Compact 45 ACP 230 FMJ that was better than the gun would more than likely shoot from a Ransom Rest. Does that prove anything? Not at all.
Now how did that happen? Skill? Luck? Can't be skill now can it?

taco650
09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I didn't mean it that way regardless of how you took it. I have heard people try to use one exploit of pure luck marksmanship to foster the belief they are actually that good. Not saying any of the esteemed on here does that but we know how humans are. Maybe not on here but who knows where else.
Just because I try to stay rooted in actuality doesn't mean anyone else needs to.
I shot a group this morn at 25 yards offhand with a Springfield Micro Compact 45 ACP 230 FMJ that was better than the gun would more than likely shoot from a Ransom Rest. Does that prove anything? Not at all.
Now how did that happen? Skill? Luck? Can't be skill now can it?

I agree that there are some who equate their "luck" with skill and they usually end up eating humble pie eventually even though their ego refuses to admit defeat. However, I think the point of this thread is simply to share some of our "holes in one" (to borrow a golf metaphor). Everyone has these from time to time and I enjoy hearing and as I've read through the posts, I haven't gotten the feeling anyone is bragging about how good a shot they are. We're just swapping stories around the internet campfire if you will, nothing more.:-)

blademasterii
09-11-2013, 09:02 PM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn276/blademasterii/IMAG0258.jpg (http://s306.photobucket.com/user/blademasterii/media/IMAG0258.jpg.html) Granted it was only 7 yards, but it was the first shot with my first handloads for a .44 magnum. It was also my first shot ever with that gun.

brstevns
09-11-2013, 09:29 PM
When I was a lot younger I was shooting a Old EIG 36 brass frame navy almost every weekend. I would carry it along on rabbit hunts if a finish shot was needed. On one hunt my cousin knock over a running bunny at about 30 yards with his single shot 20ga. I had a old 20ga pump in my left hand and walked out into the cotton field to retrive his rabbit. (no dog at that time to hunt with) When I bent over with the shotgun still in my left hand the rabbit came back to life and took off a hard run. Not thinking I jerked the Old 36 from its holster with my right hand ( I am right handed) and shot from the hip, gunfighter style. The rabbit cartwheel shot thru the head.
I am not sure who was more surprise of the three of us. My cousin still tells people of that shot.
The same cousin was with me and a friend as well when I drop a flying crow from the air with one shot and knock the feathers from another on the second. Like it is said that was then and this is now. Those days are gone. The old EIG 36 is gone as well.

Reloader06
09-12-2013, 11:29 PM
In the spirit of "It's better to be lucky than good" (not really).

I was at the club I belong to with a friend that I usually have my better days with. We had been shooting for an hour or so and needed a break. We went into the club house to use the facilities and get a cold drink. He found some chop sticks left over from some ones lunch, and he takes them with us back to our range. He had been playing with his Range Finding Laser and he puts the 2 chop sticks "17 yards" away. He challenges me to hit the one on the left as he shoots the one one the right. He's shooting an AR-15 with a 22 rf upper and a 4X scope of some sort from the bench. I'm shooting my Ruger MkII Government model that has a nice set of grips on it, that's it. I'm shooting off hand. Well we start of and I can barely see the darn thing and hes calling our misses and hits. He shattered that stick near the top. Probably hit it 4-5 times. I hit mine twice. First shot just brushed the top of the stick, the third center punched it like a 22 cal hole punch. Decent shot, just not really repeatable. Try it some time, I'm betting some of you could do much better.

Matt

dvnv
09-13-2013, 02:18 PM
5-6 of us were practicing for a the next day's homespun, field condition, rifle competition. One stage was a 20X12" plate hung on the horizontal at 500 yards. After we finished I asked if I could try it with my revolver (FA 454, 7.5" barrel, iron sights). I had never tried that far so, with my butt against the truck but otherwise unsupported, I held a bunch of front sight up and squeezed one off... about 15' high. Made the guestimate adjustment and fired the second...clang! Not wanting to prove to the rest what I already knew (luck), I put in back in the holster. A later look by me showed it less than 1/2" from center.

44MAG#1
09-13-2013, 04:49 PM
I am going shooting in the morn. If I can I will tell about my worst shot to balance all this out.

Reloader06
09-13-2013, 06:26 PM

You can narrow it down to just one??? Wow!!:shock:

Matt

44MAG#1
09-14-2013, 08:57 AM
My report on my worstest not bestest shot.

I got back from the range. I should have stayed in bed. I would have been better off.

Michael J. Spangler
09-14-2013, 10:51 PM
i can't say this was my best but i did use a S&W 642 with some of my 358156s to ring a 12" steel at 30 yards the other day. 5 shot 5 rings
not that amazing, but considering when i had my 637 2 years ago i couldn't hit ****e this is pretty cool to me

i think the best part is that it's all because of cast boolits and the fact that i can comfortably bring 400 rounds to range each week, blast through and get some real practice only because i cast my own. if i had to buy jacketed there is no way i would be able to practice as much.

brtelec
09-15-2013, 03:47 PM
I was at the range which is about 10 minutes from my house with a brand new T/C Encore in 22-250. I had loaded some moderate loads to fireform my brass before the serious work started. I had used a laser to adjust the open sights to about 100 yards. I dropped the first round in the chamber and took a half a sight blade hold over on a 21" square plate at 300 yards off hand, pulled the trigger and nailed it. I then heard someone behind me say" I would leave." i turned and it was the rage master. He then said, " this would be a good time to pack up and go before we are not as impressed." I busted up laughing. That particular load has been the same load I have been using in that pistol ever since. Lucky on two fronts.