PDA

View Full Version : 473 rd Annivesary !

missionary5155
08-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Good afternoon
Yep today Arequipa, Peru celebrates 473 years as a chartered city. So to celebrate (while about 1 million people were watching the massive yearly parade along 6 kilometros of broad avenues) my wife and I were firing of whole strings off firecrackers as a primer.
After we had a good base of noise and smoke we got out the caliber 75 matchlock and touched off a resounding good boom of 3F powder. Nothing like a slow match rotating down into a small clamshell shaped pan of 3F to produce a fine Cha-Boooom down the walk space that leads to the backyard. Used a vintage piece of paper from a 1991 issue of the IHMSA newspaper for a wad holding the 40 grains of 3F in place till ignition. How satisfying !
The Inca Empire was stunned and taken by similar firearms, modern calvary and infantry weapons and tactics of the day.
We finished our personal tribute with some more strings of firecrackers thoroughly disturbing a very quit and peaceful morning. The city smells good again !
Mike in Peru

newton
08-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Very interesting. That's a big anniversary number.

felix
08-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Uncanny observation: 473 is the case head diameter of the large rifle case. ... felix

missionary5155
08-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Howdy Felix
And I just committed to buy a caliber 375 Whelen from JES today ! Now that is very interesting.
Mike in Peru

Pb2au
08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Wow, sounds like you kids had a good time!
I travel quite a bit for my job and I do like to get lucky and be part of another cultures festivals.
Be safe and have a good day