PDA

View Full Version : Where are you getting the lead

glockky
08-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Those of you who have magma master casters where are you getting all you alloy. I assume there is a big discount buying in bulk from a wholesale.

ReloaderFred
08-15-2013, 11:00 AM
My casting partner and I spent about 6 hours with shovels and screens and took over 2,400 pounds of bullets from our club's pistol berm last summer. We only scratched the surface and only took what was in the loose soil, which was about 5" on the face of the berm.

If you decide to do this, you'll have to separate the jackets from the cores by smelting. The last time I took the jackets to the scrap yard, I got $3.00 a pound for it as #2 copper. That was with no lead and I used a large magnet to remove the steel jackets.

It takes some work, but recycling bullets is what it's all about.

Oh, and make sure you put the dirt back up on the berm or you'll never be allowed to mine it again...

Hope this helps.

Fred

shootinfox2
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Local indoor range. They smelt and flux, and sell 40 pound ingots $1 pound.

glockky
08-17-2013, 12:44 AM
I figured these commercial casters were getting lead like by the ton at a discount price. Seems to me you would need a supplier to deliver a consistent product.

jmort
08-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Mayco Industries
http://www.maycoindustries.com/alloys.htm

Lead Fred
08-17-2013, 02:12 AM
My lovely daughter is the service manager for a local car dealership. I get a bucket from her every other month.
My local scrap yard and I have a working relationship. They get stuck with lead, I relieve them of having to deal with the state @ 21 cents a lb.

Life is good

jonp
08-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Mayco lists no prices. Have you ordered from them lately?

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Yesterday, I was at a gunshow in Buffalo MN, one vendor was selling COWW alloy for $1.25 for a Lee ingot, he had lots availble. I suspect that ingot is less than a pound...not the cheapest, but it's nearly the easiest.

jmort
08-18-2013, 11:57 AM
You should be able to get your alloy delivered for $1.90 +/- if you are buying by the ton. I have never bought by the ton, but one of the member has purchased from Mayco and I believe he paid around $1.92 per pound delivered for a ton.