PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Holster

GaryN
08-15-2013, 02:14 AM
I just got a new Ruger SR1911. I was just wondering what you guys are using for holsters. I have used nothing but shoulder holsters in the past. So I kinda want one of those. I was looking at the Galco Miami rig and was wondering how they got the gun out of it. It doesn't look like the pistol side has a strap that goes around your belt. Anyway, what do you like?

Zim
08-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Holds full size nice tight to the body.

Kull
08-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Holds full size nice tight to the body.

That one or a Summer Special II. Love mine, totally worth the wait.

Zim
08-15-2013, 12:59 PM
I meant to mention, get a good gun belt also. You will not be happy with any holster on a floppy belt. I sprung for the Sparks belt also and was amazed at the difference it made. Lots of good ones out there, I am told.

joec
08-15-2013, 02:13 PM
I have basically the same rig by Galco however mine was originally called the Jack *** rig which they now call something else. It has a verticle holster for a 1911 and the way it works is it has strap that holds the gun in place and covers about a 2/3 of the length opening. Only the muzzle end of the gun, about 1/3 of it fits in what would be a typical holster. Simply pop the strap and lift a bit and gun comes straight out in your hand with out much lift. I not only holds very securely but is faster to draw from. It is actually faster than the shorter gun holster I have that fits it also that hangs horizontally. Probably the best should rig I've ever used and had a few through the years.

km101
08-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Any thing by Sparks is good. If you get a belt holster, get a belt also. A good heavy, thick belt at least 1 1/4" or better yet, 1 1/2" will support the rig and make it more comfortable to wear. And a good heavy belt will last, where a thinner floppy one will stretch and break. A good belt will make any good holster better.

MtGun44
08-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Another vote for VM2 from Sparks, although I have actually switched to a Watch Six from
them which is essentially identical but horsehide (thinner than cowhide, and NICE) and
does not have the steel liner at the top to keep it open for reholstering. Reholstering is
slower with the W6, but it is thinner and flatter and I am a great believer in thin and
flat in a CCW holster.
These designs carry the gun extremely comfortably, easy to carry all day. VERY
high quality holsters, unfortunately long backorder but well worth the wait.

Summer Special and Executive Companion (have used both extensively) let the gun
rotate around the two, closely spaced straps too much for my taste. The wide
base of the VM2 and W6 are super stable and the gun sits where it is supposed to
be and the load is spread wider on the belt. SS and EC are extremely well made
and GOOD holster designs. VM2 and W6 are extremely well made and GREAT
holster designs.

+1 on a good belt.

Bill

Jupiter7
08-16-2013, 02:15 AM
+1 on milt sparks SS II.

big dale
08-16-2013, 06:24 AM
I have an old Bianchi Askins Avenger that has served me well for a few decades now.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

PbHurler
08-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I use an Alessi CQC-S. It's a non-retention holster, but the fit is so good it's damn near one. You'd have to wait to have one made, but it is one well made, fine holster. Their gun belts are a natural fit for their holsters as well.

Alessi's got a wide variety of configurations too. Good stuff.

Jammersix
08-16-2013, 09:51 AM
I have a few VM IIs from Sparks. But he's getting weird attitudes. They're affecting his website and the way he does business.

KCSO
08-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I've carried in a Roy Baker pancake since 1973 and it's my go to rig. I also ue a Banchi inside the belt clip on or a Bianchi hi ride on occason. For field use I use and Uncle Mikes flap holster.

novalty
08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
My favorite leather craftsman is Andrew's Leather (http://andrewsleather.com/). He makes amazing holsters, and his Monarch rig is one of the finest shoulder holster's made--priced accordingly. I have his Wrap-id model for my 1911 range holster.

makicjf
08-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Not a shoulder rig, but I CCW carry my full size 1911 in a mernickle medium rise. I carry behind my right hip. The end of the holster I tuck into my pocket. Fits snug and hides under an untucked shirt easily. The only issue is the top of the leather backing can and has unclick the thumb safetey-- moving safe condition one carry one click too close to condition zero... I ALWAYS check the slide safetey after holstering now. I also check it periodically. This 1911 has an ambi extended saftey and I caught it on a hog panel once and moved it. This was not the holster but a result of the oversized ambidexterous safety. ( this was the last 1911 in the shop... i did not seek out the safety... I bought the pistol inspite of it). For open/woods horseback carry I actually use an old school 1916 flap holster... It ain't fast but the slabside stays put!
Jason

Love Life
08-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Mernickle.

Tatume
08-16-2013, 06:06 PM
My favorite holster for the M1911 is the Mitch Rosen USD Slimline. It is by far the most comfortable inside-the-pants holster for the M1911 that I've ever used.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

+1 on getting a good belt. Without a solid belt you're wasting your money on a good holster.

Take care, Tom

GaryN
08-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks.

TXGunNut
08-16-2013, 10:08 PM
El Paso Saddlery. Believe it or not they make a nice concealment holster for the 1911, hides my Guv'mint model better than my Bianchi hides my little Defender. Don't be put off by the order process, it only takes a week or two to make a holster that you'll probably use the rest of your life.

Charley
08-16-2013, 10:29 PM
I design and make my own holsters, couldn't find anything that concealed well, was comfortable, and affordable, so I make my own.

Moonie
08-21-2013, 08:55 AM
I have 2 currently, I have a Serpa for open carry of both of my 1911's (full size and compact) and I also have one of these for concealed carry:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

I also can't say enough about a good belt designed for the task. I made due for years with just a standard belt but recently purchased a good 1 1/2" gun belt, bull hide with stiffener, HUGE difference in comfort with both my holsters:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Kraschenbirn
08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
I have an old Bianchi Askins Avenger that has served me well for a few decades now.
Big Dale

I've had my "Askins Avenger" for over 30 years and, on a good belt, it's still the best all around carry rig I've ever worn.

Bill

Char-Gar
08-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I would not choose a shoulder rig for concealment. But, if you want an outdoors holster, take a look at the El Paso Saddlery 1942, which is their version of the old USGI "Tanker". It is a very usable and practical holster for the outdoorsman. It works well on your feet, in the saddle on the seat of your vehicle. It does not do well, if you are going to carry a bale of hay or something that contacts your chest. But, if you are going to be doing that kind of work, it is best to remove your pistol anyway.

Oh yes, these holsters do well if you are going to take a nap and still want your pistol close at hand. Just don't roll over on your chest.

Crash_Corrigan
08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
I had the ambi safety on my Taurus 1911. It came that way. I did not like it. I had it replaced and I have never looked back. I use a spring steel clip attached to the grip screws for my holster. It is available from Midway for about 20 bucks and it does the job well. This is a very strong metal spring steel clip that attached to your belt provide a very solid attachment to your body in any position. I usually place it just aft of my hip on the right side when walking around or when driving I move it over to the left side and cant it forwards for an easy draw. Cheap and reliable. You must have a heavy duty belt for this rig. A thin leather belt just does not do here. So figure on $20 for the clip it rig and another $80 or so for a decent belt.

Jammersix
08-21-2013, 01:13 PM
A system that does not completely cover the trigger is a bad idea, bad advice and a dangerous rig.

Arctic Blues
09-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Just get Steveo on here to fix ya up with what ever you want.

He is a member here and a great guy to do business with!

Clay M
09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I have a Bianchi shoulder holster and a Bianchi Cyclone #111 .Also an inside the pants clip on holster.

pacecars
09-06-2013, 06:05 PM
http://www.kelleygunleather.com/IWB_Holsters.html

I have tried a whole bunch of holsters from Rosen, Milt Sparks, DelFatti and a whole bunch of custom makers and Kelley's C-Flex is my hands down favorite. He is a great guy to boot.