PDA

View Full Version : laurel mountain browning and win 94?

nekshot
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Sitting here watching some metal rust away with laurel mountain formula and looked at my 1972 win 94 and got to wondering has anyone ever tried this laurel mt. formula on a winny with the wacky metal in the receiver? Not to brown it but to use the hot water turn it to black mode. I don't want to try it on this 94 as I stripped the receiver and polished it real good and it is nice to behold. If no one has tried it maybe the misses would agree I need to spend some dough on a r&d project and find out. You know your walking a tight line when you start making scientific approaches to spending money rather than "another gun, oh I had that one awhile now"! Really I am serious about this stuff on a winny receiver. It might work!

seagiant
08-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi,
Don't know about a Winchester but I reblued all the bare metal on my Green Machine rbuild! The LM is the best formula I have ever used. I do have a damp box though!

Charley
08-14-2013, 10:15 PM
As above, I don't know about the 94 receiver, but I use LMF for all my rust bluing. I don't need a damp box in my climate. Rust, card, boiling distilled water bath, repeat as needed. Neutralize with baking soda/water mix, and oil it up when dark enough.

seagiant
08-15-2013, 04:27 AM
As above, I don't know about the 94 receiver, but I use LMF for all my rust bluing. I don't need a damp box in my climate. Rust, card, boiling distilled water bath, repeat as needed. Neutralize with baking soda/water mix, and oil it up when dark enough.

Hi,
I live in Florida so summertime there's hardly anywhere jn CONUS thats hotter or more humid! Even then I will use the damp box because it gives a more even result. If you look at the pic above you will notice a humidity/ temp gauge! 85% humidity and 85 temp is perfect and gives a 3 hr cycle time!

MtGun44
08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
LOL! Summer in central FL would require an air conditioner to dry out to 85% and cool to 85F
pretty much any day!

Bill

seagiant
08-19-2013, 10:30 PM
LOL! Summer in central FL would require an air conditioner to dry out to 85% and cool to 85F
pretty much any day!

Bill

Hi,
Ha! Ha! You know of what you speak! The other fly in the ointment is that you can have TO MUCH humidity! Then you have a botched job and have to start over! Ask me how I know!

My advice still stands though if you will make the box and keep it 85/85 on heat and humidity,that will give you 3 cycles a day and by the end of the 2nd day you are done!

Jump in the waters warm!