PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba Red for handgun loads?

rvpilot76
10-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Calibers will be mild to wild 45 Colt, 45 ACP, and 40 S&W.

Can anyone see why this lube wouldn't work? I really don't want to have to change lubes between rifle and handgun. Thanks fellas.

Kevin

BigSlick
10-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Calibers will be mild to wild 45 Colt, 45 ACP, and 40 S&W.

Can anyone see why this lube wouldn't work? I really don't want to have to change lubes between rifle and handgun. Thanks fellas.

Kevin

It works well for me in handgun applications. I've used it with straight clip on ww's, 50/50 mix ww's with pure, almost pure (45 ACP), up to pure lino and stereotype metals.

Zero leading, just too sticky, but that's in the process of being worked out with some good results.

Lar's Carnauba Red is an excellent lube for pistol/revolver bullets. I've run it from 700 fps up to well over 2000 fps with no problems at all, other than the sticky.

It's the only lube I use any more, and I have passed quite a bit on to friends who are loving it too.

I'd say, based upon my experience, you're good to go.
________
HOMEMADE VAPORIZER (http://homemadevaporizers.info/)

44man
10-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Yes, works very good. It is not so hard to cause any problems and is very accurate.
I made one mistake with it by rubbing it into some boolits by hand because I didn't have it in my lube sizer. I wore a blister on my finger. :roll:

trickyasafox
10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
I emailed Lars a while ago to see what lube was recommended for very similar applications to what your doing.

here is the response:

How many bullets per stick:
I weighed and lubed several different types of bullets to get an idea of how many bullets can be lubed per stick. The hollow sticks are about 1.5oz of lube. You should be able to get atleast 500 bullets per stick. It does depend on the size of the lube groove, so you could get more or less.

It looks like you'll be shooting lots of auto pistols, so you probably don't want a lube that will smoke when shot?? The traditional Alox lubes do have a tendency to smoke. My 50-50 and Xlox 2500+ lubes fall in this catagory. They are great lubes and will work for any except the most extreme velocitys.

My Carnauba Red and BAC lubes do not smoke. The C-Red does need a heater, the BAC does not. Either lube will work great for the calibers you have listed. The bullets will probably stay cleaner with the C-red when stored in a box or shipped.
When lubeing, I sit the bullets on a plastic coffee can lid until the lube has cooled and then put them into a can or box to use later. The C-Red is also 100% Non-Toxic , the BAC does have some Alox in it.

I had asked about 9mm, 38spl, 45acp, and 44 mag up to about 1300 fps.

Joel Chavez
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm running my 38spl and 45acp to +P pressure, but they do smoke quite a bit. I was told that the lube was the culprit. I'm using Lar's C. Red. I load my 38spl with 3.8grs of Bullseye and 5.0grs for my 45acp. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.:castmine:

AlaskaMike
10-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Joel, are you wiping the bullet bases after you lube them? If there's lube on the bullet bases, that'll cause more smoke.

Mike

Crash_Corrigan
10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I have it loaded in my Saeco Lubrisizer and everything gets it. From my .223 and 8 MM Mauser to my .380 38 Spcl and .45's. Both LC and ACP. I use a heater and after there is an accumulation I throw them into a coffee can with a tablespoon of Corn Starch and shake 'em up. The corn starch coats the boolit and prevents any stickyiness or yucchhy stuff. It does not effect my Dillon 550 press a bit and make my job a lot less messy.

GrizzLeeBear
10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I've started using Lar's BAC lube, which I understand is half Carnuba Red and half 50/50. Works great in light 38 Bullseye loads all the way up to 1800 fps 357 Herrett loads. I haven't used it on anything faster than that yet, but I have no doubts that it will work at any speed you want to shoot cast boolits at. BAC does not need a heater, although I have noticed it is a little stiff in my Lyman 450 since we finally started having cooler weather. My loading room is in the basement, so it doesn't get below about 65 degrees. During the summer when it was like 80 degrees in the basement the BAC goes through the 450 easily. But it is WAY less messy than the Javelina (50/50) that I was using before. It is stiffer than the Javelina and it stays on the bullet better. This stuff is great!

quickshot
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
i pan lube with CR in 9/38/357/45acp/.308 and really like the stuff a lot!!! Little to no smoke and gread accuracy with no leading!!!

rvpilot76
10-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Well, looks like I did OK ordering a good amount of this awhile ago then. Thanks for all the input, fellas.

Kevin

Cayoot
10-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Does Lars have a web site we can order from?

Joel Chavez
10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
AlaskaMike, I do wipe the bases, but the issues continues. I'm not sure what it may be; lube, powder, boolits etc. It's the only lube I have so I can't compare with anything else. Thanks for the input. Later.:castmine:

mtgrs737
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Cayoot,

Lars, or White Label Lube co. has a websight, it is: WWW.lsstuff.com He is also on ebay, google "Bullet Lube".

Cayoot
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks much! I've purchased the 50/50 from him on Evil Bay before, but I'd rather just go to his web site than soil myself with Evil Bay.

Bary

Adam10mm
10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I use a little bit of Lar's Red.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/Reloading10507033.jpg

Scrounger
10-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Joel, have you tried Lee Liquid Alox? Other than that, maybe someone will send you a sample of Felix's miracle lube. If I had any, I'd be glad to, but so far I'm strictly Alox. But I do have a luber and I will start using other lubes soon.

Scrounger
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Most of the members here, like Lars, Ranch Dog and others with web sites, have them listed on their Member Profile here. Just click on "Member's List" near the top of any page here, find the name and click on it; it will take you to short profile of that member and his website address if he has one.

Cayoot
10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks Scrounger! I never noticed that before. It's really handy.:drinks:

dromia
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
The link to Glenn Larsen's White Label lube is right here at the bottom of this boards pages under Shooting Links along with the other Gunboard links including Dan's Bullshop.

Glenn's link is called Lar45's LsStuff (http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html)

Scroll down, click and order.:drinks:

Cayoot
10-17-2007, 02:45 PM
The link to Glenn Larsen's White Label lube is right here at the bottom of this boards pages under Shooting Links along with the other Gunboard links including Dan's Bullshop.

Glenn's link is called Lar45's LsStuff (http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html)

Scroll down, click and order.:drinks:

Ok Ok!!! That's enough making me feel dumb!!!!:mrgreen: I do that enough with-out anybody's help!

Thanks anyways!

dromia
10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Just trying to be helpful there me old soup tureen, me old cruet set, me old pith helmet polisher. [smilie=1::-D[smilie=1:

Joel Chavez
10-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks Scrounger. I'll be traveling up to Cabela's soon and see if they have something different to try. I'm happy with the C. Red in that I get no leading what so ever. Not even a hint, but the smoke is a pain.:( However, I'm not sure if it's the lube or not. Only some investigating will solve this problem. Thanks guys. Later.:castmine: