PDA

View Full Version : Harrell's precision

DeanWinchester
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Anyone use their press and measure?

I'm looking at consolidating a lot of reloading stuff soon. Their C press looks awesome and if its as rigid as it looks would suit my purposes perfectly.

Their measure looks very nice too.

Is there another option for a compact high quality press that I'm overlooking? I've had a Lee c press and it was a turd fit for .....not much.

I'm building a portable reloading bench and plan to boil down a lot of the superfluous fluff I've accumulated. I'd like everything to fit tightly together as its all going into a camper.

Thoughts?

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2013, 05:11 PM
dean I started out with Lee loaders and then up graded to a RCBS Rockchucker. It was mounted to a 2x3' piece of 3/4" plywood and clamped to a B&D workmate. This made for a very solid reloading bench that was completely portable and had more than enough room to do anything I needed at the time.

I still have the Workmate but gave the plywood to my Bro in Law when I got him into reloading. He had his own Workmate. He has a Rockchucker mounted on one side and a Dillon 550B on the other side. It works for him as well.

It will fit into a camper if broken down and I guess you might be able to work like that inside a camper with the dining table removed. Outside under the awning might be a better option.

As far as the Harrell tools are concerned their PM's are pretty good stuff and their C frame press is pretty stout too, however I don't think it has a very big opening and may limit the length of cartridges you can load.

They are kind of directed at Bench Rest types of loading so they may not have the mechanical advantage to do FL resizing.

Randy

country gent
08-14-2013, 05:43 PM
While I dont have a Harrels press I do have 2 Harrels measure the small one and the redular/standard size. Both are excellent measures very well made and very accurate. If you write down the number of clicks when done you can reset very easily. The hoppers are screw on and adapters are available to use the actual powder cans.

DeanWinchester
08-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Ha!!! That's funny because I just got a second hand B&D workmate. I tore it down, painted it and made a new top for it today.

Not too bad for free. It seems to be very rigid. I got rid of the screw clamp work top in favor of one solid top. I think it's gonna work very well. I've got another one coming that is going to be my casting table.

A far as the press,I shouldn't need much. From this whole set up I'll need to neck size 308s and full length size a couple different pistol calibers. They make a 308 length press that should serve for both I would think.

jsizemore
08-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Harrel's measures are like Star lubesizers. They require a certain learning curve to get the desired result, but once you got it, it's great. I bought the pistol/schutzen and standard measure for what it cost to buy a Neal Jones measure. I use a Co-Ax press to handle the longer magnum cases.

W.R.Buchanan
08-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Dean: what you do is screw a piece of 3/4" ply about 4-6" wide lengthwise to the bottom of the 2x3' top piece. Then you clamp the jaws of the workmate to that.

It holds tight and doesn't move at all. Used mine for along time before I finally got the bench I have now.

I'd go back to it in a second if I had to downsize.

Randy

DeanWinchester
08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
This is what I come up with. Before anyone laughs, yes I know I SUCK at wood work. But it's really solid, 3/4 birch plywood and everything is glued and screwed. The whole thing is held down with (4) 3/8 bolts and I doubt it's going anywhere.

Folds up pretty neat too.

Why purple? There were two cans of it here and it cost me nuthin'. That's why. Lol.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC02933_zps0d414b82.jpg

EDG
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
I have the Harrel's magnum size press. The black frame is aluminum. I do not consider it rugged enough for heavy use for FL sizing. I bought it for range use mainly to seat bullets.

jsizemore
08-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Why purple? There were two cans of it here and it cost me nuthin'. That's why. Lol.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC02933_zps0d414b82.jpg

You didn't sneak that paint from JeffinNZ?

DeanWinchester
08-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I have the Harrel's magnum size press. The black frame is aluminum. I do not consider it rugged enough for heavy use for FL sizing. I bought it for range use mainly to seat bullets.

Good to know,thanks. I doubt I'd ever FL size on it but if I were inclined to........
My rifle brass only ever sees the FL die one time. Sometimes to even then. When I get range brass, I check to see if it'll chamber, if it does, I neck size and roll on.

So what are some compact options? The CoAx press is nice but not for that kinda money.

country gent
08-15-2013, 10:31 PM
If weight isnt going to be an issue then any press will do. The coax is expensive and harder to get, but those that use them become very loyal to them. A rock chucker is good any of the Lees o frames. If weight is going to be an issue the the aluminum lees will due a good job. Id see whats available used and new, whatch swaping and selling here, Local gun shows and gun shops.

DeanWinchester
08-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah, weight and size matter here. I have a cast iron Lee O press, a Lee turret, some junky old lyman press and a weird looking Eagle that is aluminum and its not like any press I ever used. Kinda looks like a cobras hood.

W.R.Buchanan
08-15-2013, 11:25 PM
dean: here's my old bench in it's new application, and in the "loading configuration."

When he needs to break down cases or load only a few he just unclamps the vise and turns the table top around into the "single stage configuration."

Your's looks nice. I love the purple! It probably matches your eyes. :kidding:

Here's some pics if someone else wants to do this type of table top.

Randy

Wayne Smith
08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Fred Huntington makes a 'portable' press. It can be used on your lap but it is better bolted to a piece of wood. I have had no trouble full sizing brass with it.