PDA

View Full Version : Pan lubing qith Tac1

Lights
08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I have been pan lubing with Tac1 and needed to use a cutter to remove the boolits from the lube. Otherwise the lube would just kind of crumble and tear the lube from the lube grove. If I tried to just push them out with my finger. Does this sound about right for Tac1. I like how the lube performs out of my 1911 though.

treadwm
08-15-2013, 12:07 PM
I have similar experience with TAC1. The window for successfully pushing them out is very short and I'm terrible at judging it. I gave up and went the cutter route. It works but its messy. I end up with lube smeared everywhere. I found cleaning the cutter occasionally with a rag soaked in mineral spirits makes it cut easier and keeps down the mess somewhat.

MOcaster
08-15-2013, 11:20 PM
I tried dip lubing with TAC1 for about 150 boolits(Lyman 225450), decided it was too much work and gave in and bought a Lube-a-matic. Best $113 I've ever spent. Ok, not quite, but it's up there. But when I was dip lubing, I did use a cake cutter afterwards. It worked better than resizing them to get the extra lube off. But my best advice is to bite the boolit and buy a lubesizer.

Lights
08-16-2013, 03:48 AM
Yep that's what I thought. It is time to buy a lubesizer since I decided to stay with this cast boolit stuff. It is like an addiction.

Lead Fred
08-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Pan Lube: 1lb Bees wax, 1lb lard, 1 bottle STP

The little buggers slide right out of the puck.

Aint had no use for another fancy machine yet.

Beagle333
08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
I heat it using the condiment-cup-double-boiler system. Dip with pliers. (That green lumpy stuff in the cup is the lube melting, it's almost ready) and... it doubles as a nice potpourri!
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/downsized_0420132055_zps3c35ff57.jpg

Punch em out with whatever cake cutter you like. It's kinda messy and it does take a lot of wiping of the cutter during use.... but it's really darn cheap! ;-)
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/DSC03507_zps6f1e2bcd.jpg

It's best to run em through the Lee sizer again after cutting out.... it really cleans em up.
(Right is fresh dipped, left side is after cutting and sizing)
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture061_zps4ee32d02.jpg

Then..... Shoot em! It is a great lube!

Lights
08-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Pretty hard to hold on to my 200gr .45 Truncated boolits with out messing the lube grove area up. I made a pretty nice cutter today and just got done pan lubing 200 boolits. just need to clean the cutter every 10 boolits or so and it does just fine. There seems to be a window for using the cutter also but it is manageable.

God I like the smell of this stuff. Maybe I can use it a cologne too.:smile: Can I eat it? Just kidding, but it does have a pleasant smell. Wonder if it would make a good candle?

randyrat
08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Just a dab behind the ears, drives the women crazy. Keep a stick in your pocket all the time.

chuckbuster
08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Just a dab behind the ears, drives the women crazy.

You sure its the lube Randy?

waco
08-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Just a dab behind the ears, drives the women crazy. Keep a stick in your pocket all the time.

Well.....I might have to try some just for that factor alone!

Lead Fred
08-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Just a dab behind the ears, drives the women crazy.

Funny story:

A few years ago I asked a bee rancher how much for 10lbs of bee's wax. He asked me what I wanted it for.
Being downtown Olympia WA, the libtard capitol, I didnt want to say it was for boolits, so I said : Lubrication

His reply was, "Yeah man it works well, my wife & I use it all the time, a little dab will do ya !!!