PDA

View Full Version : Traditions 32 ca crocket rifle

BUSHMASTER
08-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Had baught this rifle about a year ago but now really getting to know it and lovin it,im here to tell you all if your un the market for a small game rifle try the crocket rifle out you will not be disappointed, im going to find out how she does squirrle hunting.

Junior1942
08-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Had baught this rifle about a year ago but now really getting to know it and lovin it,im here to tell you all if your un the market for a small game rifle try the crocket rifle out you will not be disappointed, im going to find out how she does squirrle hunting.I love mine, too. Re: squirrels. I shoot around 10 grs by/vol Pyro P for 1100 fps or so. If you shoot the recommended start load you will have exploded squirrels. Also, it has a patent breech/powder cavity. I clean mine's breech with a 30 cal brush.

BUSHMASTER
08-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Yes i had learned that the hard way so far were tied squirrels 10- me 10 but having a blast doing it

John Allen
08-14-2013, 04:25 PM
How is the accuracy? I would love to have an affordable small caliber smoke pole

Junior1942
08-14-2013, 04:49 PM
How is the accuracy? I would love to have an affordable small caliber smoke poleIron sights, 3 shots
Group size = 3/8"
Range = 25 yards
11 grs Pyrodex P
.310 Hornady round ball
.015" patch
Velocity = 1063 fps
Ex. Spread = 87
Stan. Dev. = 36
Lard lube

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/3202.jpg

aspangler
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Had baught this rifle about a year ago but now really getting to know it and lovin it,im here to tell you all if your un the market for a small game rifle try the crocket rifle out you will not be disappointed, im going to find out how she does squirrle hunting.
I want one but can't seem to find one.

curdog
08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Good shootin Junior. I have a Crockett too and they are a very accurate little rifle and a squirrel gun deluxe.

John Allen
08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
i am going to have to put one on my wish list.

starmac
08-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I wish they came with the lock on the right side. lol

Boerrancher
08-17-2013, 10:28 AM
I love my Crockett rifle. I shoot 23 grains of goex fffg with a 50/50 alloy .311 Lee RB. I get groups like Junior's. He is also correct about exploded squirrels with a pure lead RB. I have no idea what kind of velocity I am getting with my load but I do know that if I do my part I can take off a squirrel's head at 40 steps no problems.

Best wishes,

Joe

BUSHMASTER
08-17-2013, 02:50 PM
thats good shootin im pretty close at 1/2 inch or so with the same loads and distance

BUSHMASTER
08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
happy shooting and hunting stay safe

BUSHMASTER
08-17-2013, 03:56 PM
ok so i went hunting the squires won just cant seem to get the moving target down i either shoot in front or well in the back, and i know no one can help me with that this i got to do on my owne they sure keep you on your toes for sure pratice makes perfect...

Junior1942
08-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Hey, trying to shoot moving squirrels with a muzzleloader is a good way to go slap dab crazy.

starmac
08-17-2013, 08:55 PM
I got to agree with junior on this. lol

Green Lizzard
08-17-2013, 10:13 PM
what jr said

Fly
08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Junior you ole coon a$$ that's some great shooting my man.I really want one of those squirrel rifles, bad.
The last gun I bought was my 1863 Sharps, & moma put her foot down AGAIN & said enough, (wink).

Now I got to figure out a new plan??????
Fly

mooman76
08-18-2013, 04:21 PM
That's easy. Don't tell her.

twotoescharlie
08-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I have one also,don't shoot as much as I would like due to vision problems. thinking about putting a peep sight on it. ML's just don't look right with scopes on them. also have one of the 32 cal crockett pistols. it is a handful weight wise but very accurate.

TTC

Cosmiceyes
08-18-2013, 04:50 PM
I want one but can't seem to find one.

I believe Traditions has their own web-site. https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/
Check Dixie Gun works too.

mooman76
08-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Bass pros were selling them.

Green Lizzard
08-18-2013, 09:24 PM
fly sneak it in when she aint home, then calmly drag it out and start cleaning it, why honey ive had this ole thing for a long time you just now noticing it

Fly
08-19-2013, 04:07 PM
fly sneak it in when she aint home, then calmly drag it out and start cleaning it, why honey ive had this ole thing for a long time you just now noticing it

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think that might just work!

Fly

dondiego
08-19-2013, 05:47 PM
I have done that on a few occasions! It worked great! I am divorced right now but I have a lot of firearms!

Boerrancher
08-19-2013, 11:02 PM
ok so i went hunting the squires won just cant seem to get the moving target down i either shoot in front or well in the back, and i know no one can help me with that this i got to do on my owne they sure keep you on your toes for sure pratice makes perfect...

Hey, trying to shoot moving squirrels with a muzzleloader is a good way to go slap dab crazy.

Guys the best way to shoot a running squirrel is to wait until he gets to the end of a limb. They always hesitate for a half second or so. If you are following him with the sights, it is easy to drop the hammer on him the moment he hesitates to set himself up for the jump to the next limb.

I only wish the Crockett came in a flint lock. I have enough caps to last a life time but I have found that my flinters are a bit more reliable in the damp mornings. As far as that life time supply of caps, if I keep running into hornets nests like I did today my kids will end up shooting all of those caps.

Was out with the trade gun working my way through some scrub brush and stuck the barrel about 12 inches deep into a huge hornets nest about 2 ft off the ground. Got stung over 20 times. It really sucks when they get stuck up under your glasses. That was over 12 hours ago and I am still sick as a dog.

Best wishes

Joe

rodwha
08-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Hope you get to feeling better! And hope the kids put an end to them hornets soon!

Curious what a max charge is for a Crockett.

Boerrancher
08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Hope you get to feeling better! And hope the kids put an end to them hornets soon!

Curious what a max charge is for a Crockett.

Thank you and to answer your question around 30 grains of 3Fg. Any more than that and you are just blowing it out on the ground. 23 grains is what I consider max for mine. It will handle more but accuracy starts falling off at that point. Maybe if I used a tighter load it wouldn't but it shoots great and loads easy. I start the ball with my thumb, and ram it home with the rod no short starters to mess with and it shoots groups like the one Junior posted. I use a 50/50 alloy of pure lead and clip on WWs so it doesn't rip the squirrels in half at the velocity I shoot, and it has enough punch to put the hurt on a coyote when one happens by.

Best wishes,

Joe

Squeeze
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
The crocket MUST be a good gun..they rarely come up for sale used, so the owners must keep them. Over the last few years I've developed a .32 cal borderline obsession, and the crocket is probobly the only one missing from the pile. But I DO have a few CVA, (squirrel, and varminter rifles)also in a 1-48 twist. Good shooters, but in my opinion a faster twist is better in a .32 I'm convinced the TC cherokee with a 1-30 twist is a better shooter, especially if looking for accuracy with the lightest loads possible. all my 1-48 twist seem to want more powder for good groups (usually 20-25 grns real black) I also have a Knight Mountaineer I had made into a .32 with a 1-36 twist I have only had out 1-2 times yet, but a Win. W209 primer alone will push a dryball out ( at about 320 fps) so it may be my new fav toy, soon as this summer heatwave dies off ill be back on the range with it, or looking for tree rats :bigsmyl2:

Boerrancher
08-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I have only seen one used Crockett for sale, and I was going to buy it but by the time I got back to the shop it was at a few hours later it had sold. This thing was like new. There wasn't even any nipple marks on the hammer so I doubt it was ever fired. Asking price was $250. I am still kicking myself for not whipping out the credit card when I first saw it, but I thought maybe I could get it for less if I had cash.

Best wishes,

Joe

Fly
08-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Ya every good deal out there some one else get's it not me.It is I,m short on money at the time
or a hour late.
Fly

Boerrancher
08-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Ya every good deal out there some one else get's it not me.It is I,m short on money at the time
or a hour late.
Fly

It really sucks to be us at times doesn't it my friend. I just read where a fella bought a like new Rossi 92 twenty inch barreled rifle for $200, and it looks to be one of the pre safety models as well. I had to pay big money for mine.

Best wishes,

Joe