PDA

View Full Version : Front and rear sights for my 870.

littlejack
08-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Hey to all you slug junkies:
Now that I am in the shooting stage of these big 750 grain conical musket slugs, I would like to revert/reverse back to sights rather than my scope.
The sight needs to fit on a picatinny rail, that is factory furnished on my Hastings barrel.
I have been lookin at the flip-ups available, and some of them look purty good. I will need to get a front sight
installed also, as this rifled barrel was not equipped with neither front or rear. The rear will mount easily to the picatinny, but the front may take some head scratching. The barrel metal is too thin to drill and tap for a front sight.
I was thinking maybe a front sight ring around the muzzle??
Do any of you slug shooters have any experience with sights, and/or adding them to your shotgun barrels?
Need information fellas.
Regards
Jack

pipehand
08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Jack, is that the cantilevered rail that comes back over the receiver? XS makes a backup peep for weaver/pic mounts. Sounds like you'll have to build up quite the tall front sight to make it work.

littlejack
08-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Yes pipe, it is the cantilever weaver rail.
Thank you for the XS tip.
Jack

gfisher
08-14-2013, 01:59 PM
I did basicly the same thing you are trying to do, I used this as my front sight:
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/front-sights/remington-shotgun-tactical-ghost-ring-sight-set-prod19505.aspx

and http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-flip-up-rear-sight-prod21179.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

on the rear. At first I tried a plastic rear sight but it was useless in about 50 rounds, so went with an all steel model instead.

-George

littlejack
08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
gfisher, that is what I am looking for.
Do you know if a person has to buy the set, just to get the barrel band front sight?
I may have to call Brownells.
Thank you for the information.
Jack

gfisher
08-14-2013, 03:27 PM
gfisher, that is what I am looking for.
Do you know if a person has to buy the set, just to get the barrel band front sight?
I may have to call Brownells.
Thank you for the information.
Jack

You can buy just the front sight, Brownells part number is 006-000-118WB

-George

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Jack the XS Clamp- on Front Sight would probably be the easiest Front Sight to install. Many are sweated on (soldered) or Glued on with Epoxy. As far as a rear sight you obviously have to take the elevation into consideration, and one that clamps to the Picatinny rail would be a good option as long as you could match the elevation with the front sight.

Also look at NEGC sights, also available from Brownells.

Randy

littlejack
08-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Thank you fellas. You got me on a roll.
Regards
Jack

W.R.Buchanan
08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Jack: One last thing to consider. With your rail on the receiver you can also mount a Red Dot sight like a Bushnell TRS-25 ($90) which will give you instanious target acquisition.

Then you'd use the Irons for Back Up.

Or just go with the Dot period. That way you don't have to fool with the irons at all.

Randy

littlejack
08-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Another option.
Thanks Randy.
Jack