PDA

View Full Version : i mixed in some tightgroup powder in with my bullseye. what should i do?

nixpap
08-13-2013, 09:43 PM
yea, got distracted and dumped about an inch from a 1 lb jug, of tightgroup into my bullseye keg.( shy of half a lb ). i hate to chuck it , but i like to stay safe more. any suggestions?[smilie=b:

MT Gianni
08-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Fertilizer. Seriously, count your fingers and eyes and ask which ones you would miss.

possom813
08-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Homemade fireworks :kidding:

or fertilizer, if you're un-adventurous:lol:

country gent
08-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Destroy it safely trying to use it isnt worth the risk to a firearm yourself or someone around you. WHile burn rates may be close what the two do together is a complete unknown. Use it for fertilizer spread it in a thin line and burn it. but dont try and load it for any reason.

williamwaco
08-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Fertilizer. Seriously, count your fingers and eyes and ask which ones you would miss.

Excellent exercise!

Which one would you sacrifice to save half pound of powder?

RobS
08-13-2013, 10:12 PM
light show at night........be care not to burn up where you live. Fertilizer yes, but I like fire. :grin: I can only imagine how pissed you are for doing it and I too have been there however like others have said.............it's just not worth it.

High Lord Gomer
08-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Always surprising to me how slowly it burns when not in a confined space.

303Guy
08-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Do you know anyone who smokes a pipe? [smilie=1:

fecmech
08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Some years back I was swapping back and forth between 700x and Red Dot in my 12 ga Mec Grabber, depending on what my LGS had in stock. Always swapped out powder when changing over. One day I'm shooting a round of sporting clays and I notice fire coming out the side of my 390 Beretta Auto when I shoot. That is something you would see when shooting the Remington promotional ammo on occasion but I was shooting my reloads and thought it was kind of odd. When I went to reload my next box of 12 ga. I looked at the powder hopper to see what I had been shooting and got a real surprise. In the powder bottle there were yellow dots(700x) and red dots mixed together! I had somehow screwed up and mixed the two powders so I ended up dumping the bottle of powder on the lawn. Luckily no drama or damage to the gun.

nixpap
08-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanx 4 all the replies people . Now i have to think about how to blow something to smithereens with it. He he

303Guy
08-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Well, it needs to be well confined to explode. Pipe bomb? Nah, too dangerous! I tried burying a trail of powder in a shallow groove which I lightly covered, leaving exposed powder on one side. Interesting how the flame propagates. Compare covered to uncovered and see the difference in smoke. The powder burning under cover (of sand I think) smolders and makes fountains of smoke and occasional flames. I didn't try any deeper covering. You could have fun with that powder.

MtGun44
08-14-2013, 12:11 AM
I'd load with it. The two powders are essentially identical in loading data for .45 ACP,
so I'd mix it well and start low, like 3 gr and try it. Work up a new load. It will be
fine.

If the two powders had dramatically different characteristics, the other comments would
be valid. You lucked into THE two powders that I know have almost identical
characteristics in 45 ACP, so if you have that cartridge, you are fine to back way off
and work up a new load. 4.8 BE and 4.8 TG are almost identical velocity, hard to
tell any difference. Normally mixing powders is a no-no, and I do NOT recommend this
for most situations, but I think this will be just fine.

Mail it to me, I'll load it, if you won't.

Bill

nixpap
08-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Well, it needs to be well confined to explode. Pipe bomb? Nah, too dangerous! I tried burying a trail of powder in a shallow groove which I lightly covered, leaving exposed powder on one side. Interesting how the flame propagates. Compare covered to uncovered and see the difference in smoke. The powder burning under cover (of sand I think) smolders and makes fountains of smoke and occasional flames. I didn't try any deeper covering. You could have fun with that powder.

Ill think of something. Sure wont search for ideas from my ap . address. Lol

Lead Fred
08-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Do you know anyone who smokes a pipe? [smilie=1:

I was thinking more like a pipe capped at both ends, wrapped in a dirty diaper

WallyM3
08-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Might make a good tooth paste.

I once knew a gal who brushed her teeth with gun powder and ate horse shoes for breakfast. But we weren't married very long.

jonp
08-14-2013, 05:05 AM

I once knew a gal who brushed her teeth with gun powder and ate horse shoes for breakfast. But we weren't married very long.
Did she move up to Newport cause I think I have her

jonp
08-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Make a nice Nobama sign in your driveway and burn it. Much cheaper than a hospital bill

Stephen Cohen
08-14-2013, 05:16 AM
about 20yrs ago a friend of mine had a problem with cane toads in his dam, enter the dreaded pipe bomb with a pound of powder. It rained toads they were in his water tank guttering and all over, the stink a few days later and he cracked the dam bed so it would not hold water. Not giving you an idea just a warning that not all good ideas are good.

smokeywolf
08-14-2013, 05:56 AM
How much did the powder cost? How much did your gun cost? How much does a trip to the Emergency Room cost?

MtGun44 is a very sharp fellow, but if it were me, I'd find a different use for that powder other than as a propellant.

smokeywolf

bobthenailer
08-14-2013, 09:36 AM
I think you should ask Shelby Stanga AKA the swamp man as what he would do ?

Nickle
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Did she move up to Newport cause I think I have her

I was thinking Hardwick, as she'd fit right in there.

Bristol here, guys. Our gals in the Notch (Lower Notch Road) are rugged and redneck, but not that far.

sirgknight
08-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I was just wondering.....if I were to ask you the same question, what advice would you have given me? hmmmmmm!!!!

Nickle
08-14-2013, 10:12 AM
The same thing I always say. Use it for fertilizer or burn it.

1/2 pound of powder would cost $20, if you paid a high price. Loss of body parts costs what?

Now, if you have a LOT of it, it might be worth blending, in some folks eyes. But, not mine. It just isn't smart economics, even if it was 20 pounds of it.

Using it is "penny wise, but dollar foolish".

dondiego
08-14-2013, 10:24 AM
I would load up some test rounds using the starting data for BE. I am real cheap. ...................can I borrow your pistol.....just for a few shots?

tyeo098
08-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I'd load it up for some 45 or 9mm loads that I would use in something beefier than a pistol, like my 995TS or M31 Suomi.

Make some nice light plinkin SMG loads :)

Then again I'm the guy that pulls rejected M1 carbine and 223 rounds with unknown powder and makes new ones :D

1Shirt
08-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Suggest pour and flush, or spread in the garden disposal! Not worth the chance of something going wrong.
1Shirt!

44man
08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
I'd load with it. The two powders are essentially identical in loading data for .45 ACP,
so I'd mix it well and start low, like 3 gr and try it. Work up a new load. It will be
fine.

If the two powders had dramatically different characteristics, the other comments would
characteristics in 45 ACP, so if you have that cartridge, you are fine to back way off
and work up a new load. 4.8 BE and 4.8 TG are almost identical velocity, hard to
tell any difference. Normally mixing powders is a no-no, and I do NOT recommend this

Bill
I will go along with this. There is just not that much burn rate difference. Shake it all through.

Gohon
08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Burn rate being close to each other does not make the two powders compatible. Tightgroup has a reputation of burning hot.....hotter than Bullseye and if one doesn't think so just fire a half dozen rounds through your gun and see which barrel heats up faster. Not to mention Tightgroup also will blacken the brass a lot more. I can't believe some are telling you to go ahead and load it up. Dump it in your rose bed and consider it a lesson learned to not have more than on type of powder on the loading bench at a time.

MtGun44
08-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Like I said, send it to me, I'll use it. It will be just fine, but will
require a bit of test loading to verify pressures.

Bill

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-14-2013, 01:57 PM
How much does a trip to the Emergency Room cost?

smokeywolf

that i can answer just got the bill, 300 just to be seen 7400 for a CT scan to make sure there was no internal head or neck damage besides all the bruising and blood.

MT Gianni
08-14-2013, 02:21 PM
fine.

Bill

The trouble with this is he had to askk what to do rather than arriving at this conclusion. That gives me concern. It may also turn out to be the most accurate load he has ever had and therefore unrepeatable.

subsonic
08-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Work up a load and run with it.

Think of it as a new powder with a similar burning rate to the 2 you started with and no known load data.

And he could duplicate this if he wanted to. Just mix again...:lol:

I burned about 3lb of trailboss mixed with Rex2. Shot just fine. No weird stuff, but was hard to meter, so I just used it for plinking loads that were nowhere near max.

waco
08-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Yup. Dump it in your garden. Better safe than sorry.

BBQJOE
08-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Mix it in with some tannerite???

303Guy
08-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Gohon has mentioned that one burns hotter than the other. That means that when mixed together, the two powders will likely not have the same burn rate, the Bullseye would likely have a much faster burn rate which will in turn speed up the Tightgroup. I'd urge caution with using it.

jonp
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
How much did the powder cost? How much did your gun cost? How much does a trip to the Emergency Room cost?

MtGun44 is a very sharp fellow, but if it were me, I'd find a different use for that powder other than as a propellant.

smokeywolf

Trip to emergency room? NOTHING! I got me Obamacare :kidding:

g5m
08-14-2013, 07:05 PM
If you use it for fertilizer spread it very thinly. It will surely kill grass if you don't spread it out.

Wayne Smith
08-14-2013, 07:17 PM
If you use it for fertilizer spread it very thinly. It will surely kill grass if you don't spread it out.

So THAT'S what happened! Two different powders are just that, different. There is NO research or data concerning the combination. You have no idea what will happen when you combine two chemistries. Unless you have a pressure barrel and can establish a data base use it for fertilizer.

Eddie2002
08-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Use it for light weight bullets with plinker loads in a bolt action rifle, maybe 5 grains pushing a 110 grain bullet in a .30 caliber. If not dump it. Don't try using it as a load in a hand gun you don't know what you will get for burn rate.

MtGun44
08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
LOL! The factories and many benchrest shooters have been blending powders for
a LONG time. Sure, it is unknown. How much different is this than buying some
unknown pulldown powder and working up a load with it? Beause some guy says
it is "like a slower version of XXXYYY, kinda." it makes it different?? Not much.
He is absolutely certain what he started with and the two powders are VERY, VERY
similar in performance in a .45 ACP pistol, I have loaded many tens of thousands
with both. Back way off and work up a load like it is an unknown powder. No
question this is advanced reloading and needs to be done with some thought.

If you think it is dangerous, then don't do it, send it to me.

Bill

geargnasher
08-14-2013, 07:38 PM
I would use that particular blend up in my .38 Special if it were me because I have a pretty good idea of how to go about it safely. Many of our modern powders are "blends" of sorts. However, I cannot predict anyone else's knowledge level or sensibilities, therefore I wouldn't automatically recommend trying to use it for shooting purposes.

Gear

303Guy
08-14-2013, 08:05 PM
I have blended H4227 and Varget and pretty much got what I was looking for which was more performance out of a 22 hornet. I did make some educated guesses. I'm with MtGun44 and agree with gearnasher. We can be pretty sure it won't go nuclear and reducing the charge sufficiently would surely work. I wouldn't know how much to reduce it so without experienced advice I'd tend to play with it or use it as reduced loads with cast in a rifle. I'd feel quite safe using the starting load for cast in a rifle (meaning just enough to ensure the boolit exits the barrel). But I still say use caution. With the hornet I increased the H4227 percentage in a full case until the Varget burned fully and stopped when primer indication said enough. I still wonder what velocity I was getting - more than was possible with H4227 alone. Then came Lil'Gun ....

Wayne Smith
08-14-2013, 08:40 PM
LOL! The factories and many benchrest shooters have been blending powders for
a LONG time. Sure, it is unknown. How much different is this than buying some
unknown pulldown powder and working up a load with it? Beause some guy says
it is "like a slower version of XXXYYY, kinda." it makes it different?? Not much.
He is absolutely certain what he started with and the two powders are VERY, VERY
similar in performance in a .45 ACP pistol, I have loaded many tens of thousands
with both. Back way off and work up a load like it is an unknown powder. No
question this is advanced reloading and needs to be done with some thought.

If you think it is dangerous, then don't do it, send it to me.

Bill

Bill, you make my point. The OP has all of 28 posts here when he first posted this. I have no idea how advanced or naive he is. You would not have posted here if you had done it, or you might have posted your research results for the rest of us to consider. The fact that he posted tells me he is not at the level to graduate to advanced studies. I may be wrong, but I'd rather be wrong and safe than right and unsafe.

Leadmelter
08-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Not as young as I used to be. I take some masking tape and label my hoppers if I leave powders in them.
Just and idea.
Leadmelter
MI

SyberShooter
08-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Just the other day I did something similar - first time I can remember in 45+years of loading. I had a weighed charge of AA-9 in my scale pan but at the last moment decided not to load any more of that powder. I put the AA-9 away and cleared the bench for the next load which happened to be Lil'Gun. I filled my dipper and dumped it into the scale pan (which sits just about standing eye level) and it went to the top.
I remember thinking - boy this stuff must be heavy. I picked up the pan and without looking dumped it back into my dipper cup and at that moment realized what had happened.
After the 0-s*** moment passed my first thought was 'can I separate it out and salvage the powder' but I realized I had no choice but to discard it.

Fortunatly long ago I had made a rule to never work out of a powder container. I always pour into a powder measure or if I am using a dipper to hand trickle into a scale pan, I have a little coffee scoop that I use as a dipping reservoir. As it was I only had to toss about 250 grains of powder. That's better than a pound container these days.

MtGun44
08-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Good point, Wayne. I have a tendency to think in terms of the folks on here that
I know well. Folks that routinely buy pulldown powder, get some rough idea of
what it is "kinda like" and are capable of working up safe loads with these relatively
unknown powders.

I HOPE I covered it by saying "If you think it is dangerous, don't do it."

Bill

762 shooter
08-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Surely you have a Ruger you could test the new powder blend in?:kidding:

I would be careful creating a destructive device. They usually make the papers, and not in a good way.

I would probably play with it, but that's me. They still make string and tires and trees.

w30wcf
08-15-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm with the load it fellows BUT SET YOUR MEASURE TO LOAD A STANDARD LOAD OF ONLY TITEGROUP. I say that because Titegroup is 40% more dense than Bullseye. By setting your measure as described, there will be no problems since the loads will be less powerful then normal.

w30wcf

Freischütz
08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
If the specific gravities are different perhaps you could stir the mixture and separate the two powders.

Echo
08-16-2013, 12:23 PM
fine.

Bill

+1, Bill. They are so similar that I would use it in a heartbeat. Maybe label it "Slow BE" (or "Fast BE", if TG is faster, which I don't believe). Use it for plinkers - I'll bet that you won't be able to tell the difference between the mix and straight BE.

Dale in Louisiana
08-16-2013, 02:22 PM
I dunno about using it for plinking.

Suppose it works REALLY well, accurate, clean, etc. and you want MORE? Then you have to try and replicate the screwup.

dale in Louisiana

Nickle
08-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Let me put this situation in perspective.

Blended powders have been around for a while.

NO, benchrest shooters aren't doing that these days (AMHIK). The current ones generally don't experiment much. THe old ones did.

If you were talking 8 pounds of powder or up, or even near it, I wouldn't suggest you blend it better and safely try it, but, that's EXACTLY what I would do.

But, we're talking a half pound of powder here. By the time you tested and figured it out, ask yourself how many components would you have used, plus how much risk of a good gun.

Let's say powder in your area is on the high side, say $40 per pound. Then we're talking $20 worth of powder here. Cost of primers? Lead (assuming you cast)? Jacketed bullets, if needed? A new gun, or repair of a blown up one?

Is testing it worth the risk and cost required?

For a half pound, very likely NOT.

Elkins45
08-17-2013, 03:48 PM
fine.

Bill

Same here. I would use it in low powered target loads for revolvers. I don't think there is a cannister grade powder ever made that would blow up an N frame S&W revolver when loaded at 3 grains under a 150 grain cast lead wadcutter. There isn't some sort of synergistic effect when mixing powders like there is when mixing booze and pills :)

dondiego
08-17-2013, 04:37 PM
If you can blow up a Ruger revolver with 4 grains of "TiteEye", we can scrap our nuclear weapons program and save a ton of money!

MtGun44
08-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Well, it may work out to be "Titeeye" but it could also be "Bullsgroup". :bigsmyl2:

Bill

RoyEllis
08-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, it may work out to be "Titeeye" but it could also be "Bullsgroup". :bigsmyl2:

Bill

I was gonna suggest it be named BullTitEye!

Roosters
08-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Famous last words "Hold my beer and watch this!" :shock:

MtGun44
08-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Not!

BILL

GL49
08-18-2013, 12:48 AM
Famous last words "Hold my beer and watch this!" :shock:

I'm sure you guys have a lot more knowledge than I have, so I wouldn't try it.
This says it pretty well from my point of view..... based on my own experience at mixing powders and understanding how they will react with each other. Pouring it out would just be a lesson well-learned at my house.

NSP64
08-18-2013, 09:14 AM
I would load it like MtGun said.
I once dumped some unique into about a half pound of 4227. The grass was very green for about a month. LOL