PDA

View Full Version : i mixed in some tightgroup powder in with my bullseye. what should i do?

nixpap
08-13-2013, 09:39 PM
yea, got distracted and dumped about an inch from a 1 lb jug, of tightgroup into my bullseye keg.( shy of half a lb ). i hate to chuck it , but i like to stay safe more. any suggestions?[smilie=b:

Sgtonory
08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Toss it. Would not risk it for $20.

dbosman
08-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Fertilizer or a really long fuze going no where. Been there, done that. Yes - it hurt even when powder wasn't scarce.
It isn't worth the risk no matter how careful you think you can be.
I'd rather you got mad at me or us, rather than wonder what happened some time down the road.

**oneshot**
08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
toss it, not worth the risks.

Ben
08-13-2013, 10:31 PM
nixpap

$20 loss vs. catastrophic failure of your handgun and the potential injury to yourself and others.

UUmm, that isn't too hard to pick , now is it ?

Ben

nixpap
08-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanx 4 all the replies people . Now i have to think about how to blow something to smithereens with it. He he.

ubetcha
08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
When in doubt, throw it out

Wayne Smith
08-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Did you really expect different answers here?

rhead
08-15-2013, 07:09 AM
If you have some fuse and a private fishing hole take it fishing. do not get caught at this.

grumman581
08-15-2013, 07:25 AM
If you are in Texas close by, I'll "properly dispose of it" for you. I like experimenting with powders and I'm not above experimenting with a mixture of just 2 powders. I would just mix it VERY well and then load to the faster of the two powders (Bullseye in this case). Sure, the *safe* thing to do is just to toss it, but where's the excitement in *that*? :)

Where are you located?

EDIT: I see from one of your previous posts on another thread that you are located in Columbus, OH. Oh well... So much for that idea...

Bent Ramrod
08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
I got a pound of Bullseye once (cheap) that had what looked like a couple ounces of Unique mixed into it. There was enough difference in the size of the flakes so I could separate the two with a sieve. I very carefully ran through my load development schemes with the two components, and used them up separately, as "Unique" and "Bullseye," rather than mixing them in with any other batches of the powders.

I never had any trouble with them, but of course, I cannot recommend that anybody else do this.

I would advise against using any mixture of powders. The blending of even what looks like the same shape and granulation of powder to get the desired internal ballistics is a process that takes hours of mixing, requires much sampling through the course of this blending, and needs a combustion bomb to check burn rates and pressures (and their homogeneity) before the "blend" is considered finished. Different particle sizes, shapes and densities have a tendency to settle out of the mixture, concentrating at the top or bottom of the container after handling. Your gun is a very inappropriate instrument for combustion bomb testing.