PDA

View Full Version : separating .22 cases from stainless media

Capt. Senile
08-13-2013, 09:09 PM
What are you guys using to separate the .22 cases from the stainless media? This last batch I did by hand, but the batch turned out to be 2800 cases and that took waaaay too long to separate. The commercial squirrel cage arraignments look good, but the slots look too big for .22's. It might just be the pictures, though.

I've got just under two and a half 5 gallon buckets of .22 cases left to do, and will take all the advise I can get.

Thanks,
Brian in VT

BT Sniper
08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Dillon!

Large or small offering. The smaller one should work out for all needs. I got the large one and run it with the 40# tumbler and it is almost too big.

The slits in the side are small enough that the 22 cal jacket do not fall threw. I was the same as you, separated first batch by hand. I don't think I even finished before I was online ordering the Dillon!

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23662/catid/8/CM_2000_Case_Media_Separator

BT

Nickle
08-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Hi, Brian. I'm in Bristol, but get around the state some.

I've looked at that Dillon, and it might be on my list as my next media strainer.

Although, I generally clean my brass with an ultrasonic cleaner, Kool-Aid (citric acid) and Dawn.

supe47
08-14-2013, 12:32 AM
I've found a couple of different colanders at my local 99 cent store. Mix cases around under the rinse water, helps let the SS pins fall out. Can't beat the price.

ricklaut
08-14-2013, 07:33 AM
I've found a couple of different colanders at my local 99 cent store. Mix cases around under the rinse water, helps let the SS pins fall out. Can't beat the price.

This is what I do as well. The holes in mine are a little small, but I'm running the HF tumbler & relatively small batches (500ish). I run a magnet through to double check and pick up any strays.

DukeInFlorida
08-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I use the small Dillon media separator and fill the bin with water. That causes the rotating basket to rotate through the water, allowing the pins that would otherwise stick to the brass cases, to be released. They quietly and easily fall to the bottom of the bin. I tried it both ways (with and without the water), and found that the WITH water method worked much better.

It loses the least amount of pins. That's a bonus.

Sitzme
08-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I picked up a salad spinner at the grocery store for $7 because they didn't have a collander with slots. I don't use the crank but just spin it by hand and/or shake it. I really like the stainless pins. I use Dawn and vinegar followed by several rinses.

onomrbil
08-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Now you know why I use an ultrasonic cleaner on them . . .