PDA

View Full Version : Chip beef gravy, whats your best gravy recipe?

Changeling
08-13-2013, 05:53 PM
This is something that I really love, raised on it, maybe thats why.

What is the best recipe you have for taking the chipped beef and going from there (not stoufers). I don't need biscuit information, hell thats easy!:smile:

Outpost75
08-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan over low heat.

When melted stir and blend in 2 tablespoons of flour and keep stirring until the flour is well coated.

Add your chipped beef, 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, sage and cayenne.

Add 1 cup of whole milk, turn heat to high, and stir vigorously until smooth and well blended. Add a bit of water and stir until blended if you like a thinner gravy.

You can vary this recipe using hamburger or sausage instead of chipped beef and leave out the butter, using the pan dripings instead for "SOS."

OK to use a teaspoon of Tabasco, Chulula or Texas Pete, instead of ground cayenne, but don't leave it out, it needs a bit of heat to taste correctly.

If you don't like it spicy, I will forgive you for substituting Paprika for the cayenne, just don't serve it that way in a Navy mess!

ashhoe
08-13-2013, 06:52 PM
When you said Texas Pete, you had me.

I think this is my first post too, odd that it's about food. Well, I guess not super odd since my wife knows about min/max levels for Texas Pete.
Texas Pete goes in coffee up here.

Outpost75
08-13-2013, 07:00 PM
If you like Texas Pete in your coffee, sometime try a double expresso with a good dash of Tabasco and a shot of grappa.

KYShooter73
08-14-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm not a chipped beef aficionado, but I made some dang good gravy tonight. Sorry, but I made it with leftovers, so no measurements whatsoever. I had a couple slices of beef, basically bun, beef, and Swiss. Then a little corn starch and water. Don't heat it, swish it around until you have no lumps. Corn starch goes a long way. Once it is dissolved, add a couple beef broth cubes and half a grilled onion. Bring to a simmer, that starch thickens quick so be careful. Pour it over your sammiches, or dip if you must. Mmmm, wonderful.

imashooter2
08-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Tear the beef roughly. Place in pan with butter. Saute lightly, do not brown the butter. Add flour and toss until the beef is coated and all flour is wet by the butter. Add milk and black pepper to taste. Heat constantly stirring until gravy thickens.

The simple act of sauteing the meat before making the gravy produces a meal so superior, you will weep for having missed out for so many years.

DougGuy
08-14-2013, 06:57 AM
I tried some quickie gravy mix last nite but it was all flour and black pepper. Bleh.. Tried again with tossing together a recipe actually not too far off from Outpost75's recipe, but the Armor dried beef just wasn't cutting it at all. They have changed it to some ground and stamped looking mess that has nothing in common with their older product that I have used in the past. What to use for chipped beef?

I used to like the Stouffer's, it wasn't bad at all but now I don't see it in the stores anywhere.

imashooter2
08-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Carson's makes excellent dried beef.

08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
I dry chip my venison for creamed chip venison. 3 - 4 tablespoons of butter, 3 - 4 tablespoons of flour, warm and stir 'till the flour is well mixed, ground pepper, then the chipped meat & milk. Stir, stir & stir some more. Use the milk to get the consistency you want. Over toast-----------yummmmmmm.

waksupi
08-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Try substituting a teaspoon of corn starch for flour in gravy. Put it in with some milk and water in a small bowl, blend, and pour into the skillet.

Changeling
08-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Outpost that sounds awesome and different! I only have the Eskay brand chipped beef commercially around here, not bad, not great. I have been making it just about like the other guys suggested.
I am going to give your recipe a go this weekend and see how it go's (over biscuits). Thank you very much.
I am definitely going with the Tabasco/Texas Pete since the cayanne seems to choke me for some reason.

When melted stir and blend in 2 tablespoons of flour and keep stirring until the flour is well coated.

Add your chipped beef, 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, sage and cayenne.

Add 1 cup of whole milk, turn heat to high, and stir vigorously until smooth and well blended. Add a bit of water and stir until blended if you like a thinner gravy.

You can vary this recipe using hamburger or sausage instead of chipped beef and leave out the butter, using the pan dripings instead for "SOS."

OK to use a teaspoon of Tabasco, Chulula or Texas Pete, instead of ground cayenne, but don't leave it out, it needs a bit of heat to taste correctly.

If you don't like it spicy, I will forgive you for substituting Paprika for the cayenne, just don't serve it that way in a Navy mess!

RoyEllis
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Pretty good recipe Outpost, except for a few things it's made same as mine. I start with 4 hot & spicy brat's sauteed in bacon grease, add 1/4lb dried chipped elk meat, then handful of flour with a splash of cornstarch. Get the flour turning color slightly then add whole milk, stirring till starts to set (thicken) and get the pan of buttermilk biscuits out of the oven.

redneckdan
08-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Made chipped beef one time with left over jerky and a packet of white gravy mix, put it over white toast. Tasted pretty good as I recall but it was probably drowned in hot sauce and I may have been hammered out of my ever loving mind at the time... It's hard to recall.

Changeling
08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
A few guys talked about having chipped meat made from venison/elk. Now I had some made from venison and it was fantastic (beat the store stuff hands down).
Then a friend of mine gave me some made from "elk round, bottom I think" that had been smoked. Now right here and now I'll have to tell you that was the best I have ever had in my life, however that was a couple of years ago, and now just a culinary dream of something that was fandamtastic!
I can't even imagine how it would have been with Outpost75's recipe!!