PDA

View Full Version : Lube grooves and driving bands?

Naphtali
08-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I recently acquired a stash of older Rifle magazines in which are several articles on BPCRs and shooting by Mike Venturino. One factor stood out for me. Mr. Venturino's photographs show his plain base cast bullets all having more than three smaller lube grooves and narrow driving bands, plus very wide bullet base.

I have several built-to-order molds from Accurate Molds and LBT, all but one for my Marlin 1895s, the other for muzzleloading .72-caliber rifle. My smokeless powder (H322 and IMR3031) molds (LFN GC and LFN PB weighing between 415 and 450 grains) for my 1895s feature two large, deep lube grooves and three wide driving bands. I lubricate with LBT Blue.

My muzzleloading bullet has the same number and basic type of grooves and bands, front band being widest and largest diameter. Each band beneath has a reduction in its O.D. I pan lube this bullet with SPG. Propellant is Swiss FFg.

While all bullets are, by my standards, astonishingly accurate, my shooting is limited to 200 yards (at the range) for 1895s and 85 yards for the big bore double rifle. While I foresee no reason to dispose of any of these molds, am I leaving something on the table by choosing the band-and-groove configuration I have?