PDA

View Full Version : Horse riders foil kidnapper

762 shooter
08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
We have all read about the horse riding couples that saw something "not quite right" about the Idaho camping kidnapper and his 16 year old victim and called when they saw the Amber Alert. They are to be commended for their observations and willingness to get involved.

A friend of mine said he saw on TV that they commented about being openly armed. I cannot find the link to verify this and would like some help if anyone has information. If this is true I would think that the kidnapper would have thought double twice about attempting to silence the riders. I can't imagine that the riders were not armed.

It would not surprise me if one of the riders were not a contributor here. Just saying.

onceabull
08-12-2013, 06:51 PM
The odds of four riders being unarmed where those people saw that gent. are so high that a powerBall ticket looks like a layup....Onceabull

jcwit
08-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Frankly, I wonder slightly about the "victim". Said on the news today she was a frequent visitor at his house.

762 shooter
08-12-2013, 08:00 PM
A sixteen year old has about ten years before one can make a competent decision. Bad on the 40 year old.

jcwit
08-12-2013, 08:42 PM
A sixteen year old has about ten years before one can make a competent decision. Bad on the 40 year old.

True, but many 16 year olds make very bad decisions. That does not excuse them.

And yes the 40 year old was a predator.

waksupi
08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
A flatlander in the mountains sticks out like a sore thumb. I would imagine all the local boys had a rifle in a scabbard, or a revolver on the belt. That was down in Elmer Keith's old neighborhood, I think it's a law there.

smokeywolf
08-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Even in the mountains adjacent to the California suburbs you can cut an occasional cougar track. Riding without a pistol (on your person) is just plain ignorant. I haven't come across many equestrians that weren't blessed with a fair amount of common sense.

onceabull
08-12-2013, 09:34 PM
One of the male riders involved was a retired Sheriff(age 72) from a rural county...If the nutjob had messed with them, there wouldn't be any need for us taxpayers to fly in a Team of FBI experts from Seattle to "investigate a firearms discharge incident"... Onceabull

onceabull
08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Waksupi: It's true Elmer K.cast a wide loop, but I never hear tell of him being within 100 air miles of that area,,closest would be when He ranched near Durkee,Or. Either Gibbonsville ,or Salmon,is even further away...As far as I've read/ heard all his activities west of the Sawtooths was pre WWII. The country hereabouts was far to tame for him later,, Onceabull

x101airborne
08-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Even unarmed, a man on a horse is well armed with 4 hooves.
Ride em down, rope em, and hang em.
A man has no business with a girl.

I am more afraid of a horse than a gun pointed at me. That may be just me, but I was bitten by a horse somewhere sensitive after being bucked off. Havent been on a horse since and that was, almost 20 years ago.

smokeywolf
08-12-2013, 10:40 PM
x101airborne, I hope you bit the horse back.

mroliver77
08-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I have bit more horses than have bit me!]
J

Bad Water Bill
08-12-2013, 11:13 PM
When my daughter was 16 she and her 50 + daddy took many a hike in the back country from Wisconsin to Oregon,California etc and I still cherish those memories.

Just because an older man is hiking with a 16 year old whos mom has passed on doesn't make him a pervert.

Blacksmith
08-12-2013, 11:17 PM
x101airborne

That was just a "love bite", the horse was saying he was sorry you fell off. :kidding:

oscarflytyer
08-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Even unarmed, a man on a horse is well armed with 4 hooves.
Ride em down, rope em, and hang em.
A man has no business with a girl.

I am more afraid of a horse than a gun pointed at me. That may be just me, but I was bitten by a horse somewhere sensitive after being bucked off. Havent been on a horse since and that was, almost 20 years ago.

guess I would rate a horse and gun pointed at me about equal, with maybe the edge to the horse... based on experience, especially when the horse has a < 2 yo colt with it, a mtn lion at its back and a face-off on a narrow trail with either exit about 200 ' straight down! Damn near had to shoot Mare and Colt in that encounter... Closest I ever came to pulling the trigger on a live threat.

Getting caught by wild hogs on the ground rates at least equal, and maybe trumps the Mare experience... don't ask how I know...

waksupi
08-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Waksupi: It's true Elmer K.cast a wide loop, but I never hear tell of him being within 100 air miles of that area,,closest would be when He ranched near Durkee,Or. Either Gibbonsville ,or Salmon,is even further away...As far as I've read/ heard all his activities west of the Sawtooths was pre WWII. The country hereabouts was far to tame for him later,, Onceabull

I was thinking Salmon River country, didn't think about where the wilderness area actually began, I thought it was right next to Salmon. Looking at the map, I do see it is further west.

smokeywolf
08-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Bill, you and your daughter probably looked more at ease with each other and had an obvious attachment to one another. The two of you probably looked a lot more like you knew what you were about and had been there and done that before.
It's not hard to look at someone's face, especially a youngster's and be able to see that they aren't at all happy to be where they are.

Great memories are probably our greatest treasures Bill.

smokeywolf