PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin spring

troyboy
08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
I have a Taurus model 44c tracker with a frame mounted firing pin. Upon reassembly the spring in question went missing. Taurus will not sell this spring as it is restricted. Any suggestions or ideas? I am sure a S&W spring would work but am unsure of model. Thanks Troy

leftiye
08-13-2013, 08:52 AM
MSC sells some springs. If you can identify the needed dimensions, the tension probly isn't real critical. You could also contact some of the custom spring pack makers and see if they'll help you.

nhrifle
08-13-2013, 11:08 AM
The hardware store is your friend. Just figure out the ID and OD you need, get a spring that's close, and cut to the length you need.

olafhardt
08-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Brownells sells nice assortments of springs.

MBTcustom
08-17-2013, 09:59 AM
If you can get your hands on some spring wire, you can wind your own, and it's easy to do!
Just decide what size the inside hole needs to be, and select a drill bit that is about .005-.010 smaller than that.
Mount the drill bit in your DeWalt drill backwards (hold it by the flutes) and tighten your chuck. Cut an extra long piece of spring wire, and stick one end in between the jaws of the chuck, kink a 90 degree angle on it, and hit the trigger. Ziiiiiiiippppppp!!!! all the spring stock you want!
I have a whole bag of spring wire all different sizes, and I can make any spring I need in mere seconds using this trick.
I had a buddy in the shop a couple weeks ago, and he was asking me if I could help him design a fixture that will bend and cut steel rings for chainmail.
I took my drill and chucked a 1/4" piece of steel in it, and grabbed a roll of soft iron wire. Zipped off a coil that was about 4" long and took my diagonal cutters to it and started clipping off the little rings before his very eyes.
Good trick. Feel free to use it.

troyboy
08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the great idea. What I did was take a micro switch apart and use the spring. Worked perfect.

wv109323
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Just saw the post. Wolffe Springs sells springs for several Taurus pistol. I don't know if they sell for the 44 but I think they do. Along with the hammer spring you can buy the mainspring is several different poundages. This allows fine tuning and reducing single/double pull.