PDA

View Full Version : Composition of Oral Dental x-ray mouth sheild lead?

smkummer
08-12-2013, 07:42 AM
I have about 24 lbs. of this thin lead that is put in the mouth when x-rays are taken. Would anyone know the alloy used?

Baja_Traveler
08-12-2013, 10:19 AM
My dentist saves this for me - it is dead soft lead. I add tin to it and use it for my black powder rifles. For anything else, you might want to add linotype to harden it up a bit...

glockky
08-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I cant agree I melted down about 15 pounds 2 days ago and it was no where near dead soft. To me its almost as hard as my wheel weight alloy. Could be different companies using different alloys.

mold maker
08-12-2013, 10:55 AM
There is a reason lead is used same as the lead isotope containers, blocking the escape of radiation. I can't imagine using another alloy. Before the use of digital equipment what I got was all dead soft.
I guess the times are changing, maybe because of lower dose x-rays.

1Shirt
08-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Have melted down a lot of it, always dead soft. Not much around anymore as dentists have gone digital now!
1Shirt!

Mugs
08-12-2013, 12:45 PM
From a previous post by Stumblebutt. Kodiak brand is 1.5 tin,1.5 antimony, 97 lead.

Mugs

fecmech
08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
From a previous post by Stumblebutt. Kodiak brand is 1.5 tin,1.5 antimony, 97 lead.

I knew someone would be around with the mix, I couldn't remember it to post. I've melted a bunch of it over the years and all mine tests about BHN 9.

smkummer
08-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys. I'll alloy it with WW and use it for mid-range or cowboy loads.

jsizemore
08-12-2013, 02:53 PM
You might try casting with straight dental foils. Good 45 acp and 38 special alloy as is. My foils have stickers still on them sometimes and they're Kodak brand.The sticker is purple with black (mostly) and white lettering. Most of the dentists in my area have not gone digital cuz the cost is high to convert and they're too close to retirement to make it pay. The county dental clinic has also stayed with the old style x-ray. They show up with around 150-200 lbs at the scrapyard every year. Good low to medium pressure pistol alloy.

fredj338
08-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Maybe not dead soft, put pretty soft. I have about 35# to melt up still.

Miata Mike
08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I just picked up about 10 pounds of it today from an office that went digital. This stuff is getting harder to find around here. Seemed like a good .45acp .38 special mix as that is what it got used for. I'm sure it got mixed in with wheel weights a few ingots at a time ifin I remember.

montana_charlie
08-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I can't get it anymore, but I have been using it straight for several years.
It has a hardness of 7.8 BHN ... exactly the same as 20-1 lead/tin alloy.
But, since it will frost a bit if the mould gets too warm, I think there is some antimony in it.

CM

dsbock
08-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I tried to get some from my dentist. I was informed that in New York State it is treated as medical waste and must be disposed of according to NYS Dept of Health guidelines.

David

mold maker
08-13-2013, 02:32 PM
My dentist explained that due to aids and several other bad diseases, the lead was considered hazardous medical waste. After all it has been in direct contact (except for the paper) with whatever illness the patient has. I was told to handle it with disposable rubber gloves and that the heat would solve any problem. There are quite a number of dentist local, and everyone has gone digital.
When you really look at it, everything that used to be a source of lead is being replaced, except X Ray shielding, and I'll bet thats next.
It's a sign of the new world, we're being forced to live in.

fecmech
08-14-2013, 10:32 AM
I was informed that in New York State it is treated as medical waste and must be disposed of according to NYS Dept of Health guidelines.
Evidently my dentist considers me a NYS disposal site:grin:

dsbock
08-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Evidently my dentist considers me a NYS disposal site:grin:

Lucky. Especially since my dentist is one of the few in the area that hasn't gone digital.

David