PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Farm going to carry reloading suppies

dpunch
08-12-2013, 01:48 AM
I think that the Fleet Farm stores are only around the Midwest. I went in today and I always have to check out if they have ammo, just to laugh at the prices. I saw a new isle being put up full of reloading dies. I asked a person in the sporting goods department and they said that they will be getting primers and powder in next. I noticed a lot of Hornady equipment on the shelves. I am curious to see how much they will get. This could be a time saver for me.

snuffy
08-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Oh good, so the 4-5 gunshops in Oshkosh now have to compete with fleet? It makes me wonder who's running the local fleet-farm, can't he see that the needs are already being met? He can't get components any better than established gunshops can.

That's the reason the Oshkosh Wallmart has stopped selling guns. Or does NOT sell components or reloading supplies.

Rant-off--.

dpunch
08-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I was not aware that the 4-5 gunshops in Oshkosh have reloading supplies. I must be blind, because I have not seen what I need in them.

fishhawk
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Well Snuffy over here in Wausau no one sells reloading supply's any more. Gander mountain is a joke doesn't sell reloading any thing if fleet starts to sell here GREAT!

GOPHER SLAYER
08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
I wore overals from your town when I was a little boy. Do they still make them there?

snuffy
08-12-2013, 03:19 PM
[QUOT=GOPHER SLAYER;2343967]I wore overals from your town when I was a little boy. Do they still make them there?[/QUOTE]

Oshkosh B'Gosh jeans! Nope, last I heard they were bought out, moved to Meh-hico. OBG were union made, so moving south of the border saved a lot of labor costs.

[QUOT]I was not aware that the 4-5 gunshops in Oshkosh have reloading supplies. I must be blind, because I have not seen what I need in them. [/QUOTE]

Red's 45, Tews-II, Rons gunshop, Precision sports, there's another one I can't think of right now,,--Oh yeah Gerkes. If you mean lack of quantity, that's the same everywhere, nobody can get components. Neither will feet farms.

Kraschenbirn
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
...If you mean lack of quantity, that's the same everywhere, nobody can get components. Neither will feet farms.

Don't be too certain of that they might have more leverage than you think. Certainly we've a definite shortage of LGS around here...and the one 'real' shop we've got has been a 'gouger' since the day he opened his doors...but a year or so back, one of our farm store chains (Big R) started carrying guns, ammo, and some loading supplies. During the 'panic', there were times that their ammo shelves were nearly bare but what they had, they sold at 'fair' prices, compared to our LGS or the gunshows. Now that things are improving a bit, they're receiving powder again and...guess what...their prices are only about a buck a pound over what they were last summer...while that LGS (that we should be supporting?) wants $28.95/lb. for IMR4895 and $29.50/lb. for Varget. Just another case where I'll vote with my wallet...for just a pound or two, it's off to Big R, otherwise, all my bulk purchases will continue to be made online.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
MANY years ago I loved to visit the Fleet and Farm in Marshfield.

Where I get confused is when I visit Blain's Farm & Fleet. 1811 Illinois 50. Bourbonnais IL

Both seem to have been in business for many years.

I wonder if they are connected in any way?

BorderBrewer
08-13-2013, 12:16 AM
"MANY years ago I loved to visit the Fleet and Farm in Marshfield. "

I bought a 10/22 and a Model 70 in .270 from Fleet and Farm in Marshfield. They didn't seem to mind that I was visiting from California and I walked right out with them after paying. That would never happen here.

fishhawk
08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Well the fleet farm and farm and fleet store owners were brothers. If i remember right there was a falling out between the 2 and each went there own way.

snuffy
08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Dpunch, don't get me wrong, I love the Fleet Farm stores here in WI. I generally shop there BEFORE I go the Menards, Lowes, or Home Depot. They're generally on par or a bit cheaper than the other 3. I have one of their credit cards, it comes in handy at the end of the month before the SS check comes.:smile::lol:

I'll check out their new reloading section today when I go the the bone bender. I try to make a trip to town serve for more than one thing.

I really hope they can get some primers. I'm running low on SP and shotgun 209's. I also hope they only do a minimum mark-up on components, to see where the price should be. Precision sports has had primers for $35.00/K,when he has some.

Competition could do one of two things. Drive the scalpers out of the component business, or force them to lower their prices. It'll be interesting to see which happens.

Bad Water Bill
08-13-2013, 11:31 AM
I love to give credit where EARNED

Both chains have some of the most helpful friendly smiling folks i have ever found in any retail store.:grin:

snuffy
08-13-2013, 08:30 PM
I stopped, I looked, I saw! One isle both sides, all reloading stuff. Bullets, cases, shotshell wads, less than half stocked. No shotshell loading machines, but it looks like MEC will be the loaders, powder bushings already out for sale. No sign of powder or primers----yet. No room for what it would take to completely outfit someone to load any type of ammo. Time will tell.

Prices pretty much inline with Midway as for the dies I saw. RCBS, Hornady and lee loaders in stock. Hornady dies as well as RCBS. I wish I had carried a pen and paper to write down prices.

I know about 20 years ago, Fleet would toss you out if you were writing down prices, or had a camera taking pics of price tags. No comparison shopping allowed!

dpunch
08-14-2013, 02:11 AM
Snuffy, sounds like they are moving on the supplies. I will check it out Monday and see if they have any powder yet. If you get real hard up for primers let me know. I won't sell any, but could borrow you some until you find more.

snuffy
08-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks Dpunch, I have several thousand SP left, I just don't like to fall below that level. I'm headed to Milwaukee today for the VA hospital. I'll stop at midwest to see if they might be getting some stuff in. Gander Mt. gun world is just out of Mil. as well, so is Cabellas. Be interesting to see their prices as well.

I think they will need more room to have a complete reloading source set-up. If they're going to be carrying shot, that takes a lot of room and heavy duty shelving. I worked at Precision gun works for 6 years back in the 80's. One isle aprox 30" feet long both sides isn't enough room. So I know a few things about displays and giving advice for reloaders.

That's another thing, who's going to be there to answer questions that WILL be asked by somebody that see's this, thinks hey I think I'll try this reloading thing?

SeabeeMan
08-14-2013, 10:49 AM
The one in Stevens Point get there stuff about 3 weeks ago. My brother and I went to check it out and when we saw primers at $30/k, we asked if there was a limit and were told no. When we each grabbed a couple of cases of SPP and SRP, we were told to hold on a second. The manager then told us there was a 200 primer per person and 2 lbs of power limit. But, at least there is on more place to hit on my reloading road trips to see family in Central WI.

Bad Water Bill
08-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Dpunch, I have several thousand SP left, I just don't like to fall below that level. I'm headed to Milwaukee today for the VA hospital. I'll stop at midwest to see if they might be getting some stuff in. Gander Mt. gun world is just out of Mil. as well, so is Cabellas. Be interesting to see their prices as well.

I think they will need more room to have a complete reloading source set-up. If they're going to be carrying shot, that takes a lot of room and heavy duty shelving. I worked at Precision gun works for 6 years back in the 80's. One isle aprox 30" feet long both sides isn't enough room. So I know a few things about displays and giving advice for reloaders.

That's another thing, who's going to be there to answer questions that WILL be asked by somebody that see's this, thinks hey I think I'll try this reloading thing?

NOW is the time for you to hand every member in the gun section 10 of our cards and the whole area will now have a safe place to seek competent HELP.

jonas302
08-14-2013, 10:33 PM
We have a new fleet farm going up 30 miles away I sure hope they put in reloading too. I have always very much enjoyed going to Mills fleet its 10 times more relaxing than walmart the ammo prices are the lowest to be found in most cases

Ajax
08-15-2013, 05:42 AM
I wish tractor supply would do something like this.

Andy

snuffy
09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Just to update this for those in the Midwest, I was able to get some primers today from the Oshkosh Fleet Farm. They DO NOT HAVE THEM DISPLAYED! The primers are behind the counter as well as the powder they have.

They were NOT cheap! $4.19/hundred for federal #100 Federal gold medal match. No per 1000 price, cashier had to scan one box ten times. Maybe they just haven't had time to get the UPC for the sleeve entered into the system. $41.90 is pretty steep, but maybe the "match" designation was more? No price tags on the boxes, and the list had no prices on it.

LGS has $37.95 on their small pistol Winchesters, so 42 bucks isn't to far off.

The list they keep behind the counter had all the major brands of powder and primers and maybe 30 different powders. Same for the primer list. She said she was sure she didn't have all of them in yet, I said bring out whatever small pistol she had. That resulted in 1K of the Federals, and 1K of CCI-550.

biglead
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Just came across this thread.
I live 2 min. from Gander gun world and if you want reload supplies you will find 100x the stuff at fleet farm. I cant believe they only have like three half empty shelves of odd lot stuff. Maybe twenty boxes total of like six diff. calibers, one press kit, one scale and some funnels. At fleet farm a ten foot isle full on both sides with damn near everything a guy needs. Most stores have the primers and powder behind the counter anymore.

Lou

snuffy
12-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Just came across this thread.
I live 2 min. from Gander gun world and if you want reload supplies you will find 100x the stuff at fleet farm. I cant believe they only have like three half empty shelves of odd lot stuff. Maybe twenty boxes total of like six diff. calibers, one press kit, one scale and some funnels. At fleet farm a ten foot isle full on both sides with damn near everything a guy needs. Most stores have the primers and powder behind the counter anymore.

Lou

Well Lou, the Oshkosh one hasn't had much added since they first set it up. I was there today, maybe 15 sets of dies and slots for 50. At first I noticed a lot of components for shotgun loading, but no presses. Still none to be seen. Is MEC so damn busy they can't even get on press/loader in to display/sell? One MEC supersizer,(the supersizer is like the sizing station on a grabber, it JUST sizes the base). Still no sign that says, ask for the powder and primers, no sales person to be found behind the counter.

It seems like an afterthought by corporate like,,--lets sell reloading components!

dpunch
12-10-2013, 01:23 AM
I went in last week and found that they had Varget powder in stock. I have been looking to try some but have not found anyone that had it in stock.
It came in at $25 a pound. I don't think that is too bad. There are a lot of empty spaces on the shelves, maybe it is the holidays. When they first put the items out they were pretty full.