PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is a good mold!

cheese1566
08-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Happiness is finding a good mold at a great price from a friend here on the forum.
This MP 452-200-HP is the first time I spent good money on a mold. No buyer's regret here!
I have never experienced a brass mold, let alone a hollow point of any design. I heated it on my hotplate while the melter readied. Only took a few castings to get good useable bullets, and a short time to be able to cut sprues with my gloved hand. 99.99% of them dropped free! I only used clip-on wheel weight with no extra tin or solder using my PID controlled RCBS ProMelt set at 750 degrees. No troubles what-so-ever!
I will definetly be looking for more!

Happiness is a sweet mold that casts like a dream!

smoked turkey
08-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Nice looking boolits! Sounds like you found a good one. I have a couple of brass molds and they do cast nice. I haven't tried the pre-heating of my molds but from the sounds of things, I should.

NoZombies
08-12-2013, 12:43 AM
I haven't tried the pre-heating of my molds but from the sounds of things, I should.

If you do, you'll probably never stop. It makes all the difference in the world.

rintinglen
08-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Preheating the mold can increase your production rate of GOOD boolits by up to 10 % during the first hour of casting. Those first 10 or 12 casts that aren't quite right when you are warming up the mold, become goodies if you preheat the mold. I usually put mine on the top of the furnace, but I also use an electric hot plate.

captaint
08-14-2013, 02:24 PM
When casting hollow points, my VERY favorites are the 2 cav's from Miha. The pace is more relaxed than with the 4's, and the whole process is just very enjoyable. And as you say, the results are the best. Mike