PDA

View Full Version : Super low profile mauser safety

MBTcustom
08-11-2013, 08:54 PM
This is the mauser I turned the bolt handle on in my earlier thread. The client wanted a Timney low profile safety, but the BS-A scope he wanted had such a big bell on the back of it, that the only options were to use high rings, or twink it with the 3700lb wand.
I chose door #2 and made this out of billet 416SS. I simply took a chunk of 2" diameter steel bar, threw it in the lathe, and drilled the center hole, and made a hook tool to reach inside and put the groove in there for the lip on the shroud that keeps it in place on the gun.
Then I took it to the milling machine and stood it upright in the vice, and sprayed it with layout dye.
Then I took measurments from the shroud and scribed it's exact profile on the end of the bar, using the hole in the center for a guide.
I then cut the periphery out by milling to the line, knowing that the files would take care of the survivors.
I centered the mill on the hole and offset the correct amount to render the finger that is used by the screw to keep the safety in place. It was a perfect fit.
The rest of the safety was shaped with needle files, and then buffed.
Finally, I checkered the tip of the safety so that the guy can get a good grip on it, and stoned it so that is has that buttery smooth, silent engagement, so the deer don't get skittish and nervous.
Obviously, bright SS would look like dookey on this beautiful Mauser, so I used a little trick I came up with that gives it a color case hardened look. Heh heh.
Best of all, it clears the bell of the scope just enough that I can see light between the two of them.
I'd say that's checkmate.
Observe:

Stephen Cohen
08-12-2013, 03:55 AM
That is very cleaver Tim, I never cease to learn on this site. That would look so good on my 98.

LIMPINGJ
08-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Looks nice.

waksupi
08-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Nice job.
I have tried the Timney safeties, and have not been pleased with them. Some times the detent doesn't seem all that positive, and I have had the safeties shift position. I went to the Gentry Winchester M70 type safeties on Mausers. When properly installed, I feel they are a better option.

x101airborne
08-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I would buy 3 for mausers and if you can make em for springfield 03's, I would take 3 of those as well.

TCLouis
08-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Any chance of seeing it removed from the rifle and from the bolt?

MBTcustom
08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Sorry, I shipped the rifle back to Fort Lauderdale this morning, but it was an exact copy of the Timney safety that was supposed to have been used, except that it hugs the bolt shroud like an octopus. That was the only way to make it work, and was cheaper than going with a Winchester style.

DCM
08-13-2013, 10:06 PM
I really like that safety, truly a work of art, nice curves.
Can't say the same for the scope though.
Nice work.

izzyjoe
08-13-2013, 10:15 PM
very nice work, you are the man!

Artful
08-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Yes, very nicely done :awesome: