PDA

View Full Version : Mec 400 super speeder

lumpocoal
08-11-2013, 08:46 PM
My uncle just gave it to me yesterday. I lubed it up to get everything working after cleaning it up, my question is that it is set up for 12 gauge and I only have a 16 gauge. Can you use a Mec 600jr 16 gauge resizer die on the press or are they totaly different animals? Cabt seem to find parts for the 400, BTW Im using a SxS if that makes a difference being that this will be the only firearm they will be used in, I guess what im thinking is like loading for a rifle and neck sizing dedicated cases to one rifle, and I will be roll crimping... Any info will help

dbosman
08-11-2013, 10:47 PM
The MEC resizing rings are swapable for many models. So that won't be a problem. An older gun shop will probably have the sizing ring. MEC sells them.

Where you might run in to a problem with a 400 is crimping.
The 400s are old and the crimp was/is finished with the shell in a die that fit in the hole in the center, behind the charging position. The crimped shell was pushed out of the die and down through the hole.
That die is hard to find.

I've got two 12 ga 400s that need that die.

lumpocoal
08-12-2013, 05:28 PM
i dont have that die or id give it to ya, I plan on getting the roll crimper tool for a drill (midway sells em) more less I was just going to use this press to resize/decap/reprime for the 16. I looked at an old parts manual for a 400 some of the parts are universal between a few gauges unless i mistook it. I plan on loading some BP loads just to tinker around with. Thanks for the advice dbosman