PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Randy!!!

seagiant
08-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi,
I have loaded shotgun for probably over 20 years starting with a MEC 600 Jr. I have however never reloaded buck,slugs or ball! I casually mentioned to Randy Buchanan that I would like to try a few RB's from him as his Mossy 500 and my Rem 870 both have the same dia. barrel.

Yesterday I got a surprise in the mail,not only a few cast RB's but also felt cards and wads! There was also some instructions which came in very handy and cut my R&D way down! I have a CH 907 Shell Master reloader from the 60's and set it up,I had to readjust the crimper. I took a pic so maybe you guys can tell me if it looks good to you? Also wanted to thank Randy for getting me on my way so I can reload for my HD shotgun!!! I belong to a lot of sites but none have people like we do here!

Randy C
08-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Looks good What load did you use? Are those 3 old pacific presses in the back ground maybe a dl155 dl266 and dl366?

Hogtamer
08-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes, I love this site - great folks willing to help!

seagiant
08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi,
Yes that was a Pacific 155 that I sold and a 266 that I still have. My main reloader now is a DL-300!

I used 16.5 gr. of Red Dot powder and will see how that works! Might have to jack it up a little!

Randy C
08-11-2013, 10:00 PM
That is a good looking press for its age. I have 4 Hornady Pacific Dl155's 2-12ga / 20ga / 410ga I need a set of 16ga dies for one of the dl155 presses and I have a Dl366 in 12ga I like my single stage presses do you know where to get the spacers that go under the bushings?

seagiant
08-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Hi Randy,
I would suspect those are going to be hard to find! A couple of things come to mind. The good news with these loaders were that they were made here in the good ole U.S.A! The seals are nothing but cut rubber hose,however finding the right size is where it gets tricky. Another way is to make the seals out of Delrin on a lathe! This might work if the tolerance is kept tight as the Delrin is harder than the rubber but machinable!

If I was you I would get the OD of the hole or seal and see if you can find something that size or close (at Auto Parts store) and then you could cut and reglue to right dia.! I make O-rings at work on individual basis and that is another option you can try. I think ACE Hardware has them and not expensive. At work we use super glue to connect the two ends of a custom o-ring and no problems. I KNOW if you try you can find something that works as good as the originals!

Randy C
08-12-2013, 04:33 AM
I will have to do my home work I still have one good set that I move around
Thanks Randy
Ps everybody I'm not the Randy that sent him the shotgun supply's there is good people on this form.

seagiant
08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Excess,
I got the Pacific 155 and the CH 907 from Randy Buchanan years ago and sold it but can't remember who to! I go through a lot of reloaders trying things out! Pacific did not really make any junk that I know of and anyone that knows what they are doing should be able to get great loads from any of them!

W.R.Buchanan
08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm the correct Randy.

You're welcome Greg: I figured you'd be surprised so I just sent it.

And yes XS that loader was originally from me as well. It was a nice one and was part of a deal I made for Greg's Spolar.

Small world huh?

On another note:

I made a big mistake yesterday.

In my 3 gun shoot the single stage we shot was "shotgun intensive." 15 rounds of birdshot and 2 slugs.

I had not had time to finish my round ball loads and also neglected to bring any of my trap loads. This turned out to be a big mistake!

I didn't think any thing of it at the time and went on my merry way blasting clay targets and steel gongs all the way to a hay bale which we had to get behind for cover. The last two shots were at 2 steel targets about 35 yds. away. I rested the gun on the hay bale, aimed, and let fly... This was when I figured out that something was dreadfully wrong.

I hit the target dead center and knocked it completely over!

The gun also knocked the living Ship out of my shoulder, but being a gamer I just yelped and shucked up another round, aimed at the second target and fired. missing. I called time cuz I wasn't about to fire another one of those slugs. They literally brought tears to my eyes!

I got back to the truck and looked at the box and these were Federal 1 oz. "Maximum" slugs at 1610fps! That's way up into .45-70 loads! And needless to say the 25 year old dead recoil pad didn't help much. Luckily I had the gun well into my shoulder pocket or I would have blown my shoulder out again, but the position behind the bale I was in didn't do much to absorb any recoil. pain followed

I now have a nice big reddish black mark above my right Teat, and probably will have to go to the Chiro this week.

I have fired slugs before but I have never been tagged like this. I have had these for several years and have four more 10 round boxes, but I assure you I will NOT be firing these again soon. Maybe if I get to go deer hunting in Iowa or some other place where you can only use a shotgun.

Which brings us to the round ball loads which I expect will solve this problem completely. We will be working on them this week for sure.

And Greg, your crimp looks fine, and as long as the ball doesn't move around when you shake it, it is tight enough. I think you're good to go.

Randy

seagiant
08-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Randy,
The ball in the hull is tight and I think it is a good load. I know you need a little resistance when the primer blows! I'm going to load what you gave me and try them out. I also have my LEE .31 ball mold now to try some 9 ball buckshot. Sorry about the sholder!

When I was on the farm in Georgia growing up we had a dove shoot one time, and literally hundreds of doves were coming into a harvested peanut field. This friend of mine only had #6 Hi Brass shells and the shooting was fast and hard! At the end of the day everyone had the limit and his shoulder looked like a piece of raw steak!

We of course are waiting for a report on that Spolar Gold! I did enjoy the clackty-clack machine sound it made as it spit those rounds out!!!

Thanks again!

W.R.Buchanan
08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Greg: I have 2500 OF new AA hulls waiting to be loaded on that machine. They don't run right on my 366 so the Spolar is going to be that machine for them.

It will get used, it is just a matter of getting the time and ambition to get it up and running. I already changed the powder bushing to one to duplicate my other trap loads with Green Dot.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Greg: did you get a chance to load any of those round balls yet?

I loaded some but haven't had a chance to shoot them.

Oh,,, I forgot there's no place to shoot on a freighter.

Randy