PDA

View Full Version : Realizing that my old compressor wasn't up to the task

303british.com
08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
of running a new derimming press that I'm buying from featherhead, I bought this. It's a 20 gal. Dewalt.

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/TOOLS/LARGE/5/D55168_A8.jpg

I like the idea that this particular step will be less tiring. Notice I did not say, 'less boring'. :D I cannot tell you how many rims I've unfolded manually, but thanks to featherhead, that will soon be a thing of the past.

I bought it at Home Depot on Friday. I was looking at some other compressors, the Dewalt company sales rep saw me, and walked over. Suffice it to say (and I'm in Canada folks) the deal I got made me smile. This unit is regularly $469, but was on sale for $399. Okay, that's good. The sales guy said that he would take another $20 off, so that made it $379. Sold!

I liked the idea that it was "made in the USA", but upon closer inspection, found that it was assembled in the US using outsourced parts. Still, it's providing jobs.

I fired it up after getting it into my workshop. Everything works and it's relatively compact.

SeabeeMan
08-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I looked at that one very closely when I bought my Puma PK5020vp (http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Puma-PK5020VP-Air-Compressor/p590.html). Only thing I wasn't a fan about was the noise due to it being oil-less since we lived in a 4-plex at the time. Looks like a great compressor that should take care of pretty much anything you need short of rotary sanders and cut off tools.

303british.com
08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I was concerned about running an oil-less compressor as well. It's definitely noisier than the ones at work, but it's quieter than I expected. I can always move or cage it if it bothers me. :)

That compressor in the link looks great. :D

SeabeeMan
08-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Even having them side by side at Farm and Fleet, it was tough to go either way on them. It basically came down to noise since they were the exact same price. And I like blue.

303british.com
08-12-2013, 08:21 AM
...And I like blue.

That makes sense. :) I did 22 years in the air force. I like blue too, but a lighter shade. :razz:

SeabeeMan
08-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Best advice I ever gave my little brother was "join the air force" when he wanted to follow me into the Navy Seabees. I loved the Bees, but I sure loved air force chow/bases/vehicles/barracks/girls/etc!