PDA

View Full Version : Sartorial Habituations (how we dress....to "get along")

BruceB
10-14-2007, 11:55 PM
After some cogitation, I have concluded that I am a lucky ol' soul as far as "dressing the part" is concerned.

Growing up in several isolated Canadian mining towns across the North, there was never much emphasis placed on "dressing up" or conforming to some fool's idea of what constituted "style". Informality and INDIVIDUALITY were largely the order of the day.

From high school, I entered the Canadian Army, which pretty much decided what was "style" for all involved. Following my Army hitch, I went directly back into the Northern mining camps, where I stayed for forty years until we moved to Nevada in '97. Rural Nevada has a lot in common with my earlier places of residence.

In the circles which I have inhabited, all the big-city hoo-hah about style and "dress for success" and other such bromides and catchphrases are subjects of derision and amusement. If you aren't a real person, someone worthy of being part of the community, all the fancy duds in the world won't gain you any traction at all.

In almost any social situation, including weddings and funerals, blue jeans, shirt, and boots will pass, as long as they're reasonably neat and clean. Naturally, some folks do like to put on the dawg once in a while, but it's not required.

On seriously making an effort at total recall, I find that I have NEVER owned or worn a suit, barring a couple of tuxes which "HAD" to be rented to conform with some big-city requirements. I consider this an accomplishment! Once in a long while, I indulged myself with some custom-tailored shirts and sport coats, but I can assure everyone that the wearing of a (retch!) TIE was rare indeed.

If I had to wear a monkey-suit and tie to work, it would be a very short career in that job.

Low-key...that's my style. I need enough pockets and belt-room for my guns, knives, spare ammo, keys, wallet, etc. etc.......and those locations are found in my jeans, worn everyday just like everyone else's in the area.

THANK HEAVEN I don't have a dress code imposed by some damned employer. I do feel sorry for the ladies, because theirs is a much more difficult situation, even in small-town USA.

Dunno what brought all this on, but ....?

armoredman
10-15-2007, 12:21 AM
S'OK, I have to wear a uniform to work. But off duty, boots and blue jeans...but mine are 5.11 desert boots. :) Big t-shirts are a must, helps conceal.
I hate my tie with Class A uniform, too. Gah.

NVcurmudgeon
10-15-2007, 01:47 AM
Bruce, I envy your having never owned a suit. (I also envy the courage that such a singular accomplishment requires.) About ten yearsago, I found to my great delight that my most recent suit, at the ripe old age of nearly twenty years, had mysteriously shrunk. I joyously seized upon this golden oportunity to donate the suit to charity and not replace it. The next time the charity phoned to solicit donations I was pleased to add my three remaining ties to their "formalwear" collection. No suit, don't need ties, right? These days I wear work clothes, or for "stylin", dress western trousers and shirt. If I think an occasion requires more formal attire, I don't go. As the great Graucho Marx said, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member."

MT Gianni
10-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Mine is about the same as Bruces with a pretty big exception. I sing in a Symphony Chorale after having sang with a male Chorus and it's a lot easier to just own the tux. I feel the origan designer of the necktie should have been strung up with a larger one. Gianni
PS off to Knoxville for a week, please don't let the place burn down.

redneckdan
10-15-2007, 08:48 AM
I hate man scarfs....haven't worn one since I left home.

Boz330
10-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Went to a Catholic HS, had to wear one every day. Haven't had a lot of use for one since. I have to admit now that I am thankful for the imposed education though. There, you learned or they would beat every scrap of knowledge into your head. I was a little hard headed then, or at least that's what the old man said. I wonder where that came from[smilie=1:

Bob

Gun-adian
10-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I wear a uniform at work. No problem as it saves me trashing my own clothes and the company provides most of it. Thank the stars they got rid of the bloody necktie a few years back. Now I can breathe. I hated that thing.

Regular daily attire consists of jeans, T-shirt and runners. I'll throw on a long sleeve shirt over the T-shirt when it gets cooler out. For more "special occasions", it's the one pair of dress slacks that I own and a button down collared shirt.

There ya go....the perfect wardrobe. (for me anyway...)

Mike.

medic44
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Biboveralls work great, nothing to interfear w/ proper deep breathing for trigger squeeze

Kraschenbirn
10-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Bought the last suit I'll ever own to stand up as best man with my father when he remarried in 1983 (he was 65 at the time and had been a widower for 8 years) and honestly believe that I only wore it once more (for a funeral) before it went to the Salvation Army. Still have an assortment of sport jackets-usually worn with wash 'n wear khakis-for on-the-job.

As for ties...yeah, I may wear one, now and then, if I'm in the mood and the phase of the moon is right. Of course, my collection includes not only Scooby Doo and Elmer Fudd (w/shotgun), but also Parrothead (Jimmy Buffet) parrots, impressionist tabby cats, rain forest orchids, and (supposedly) the tartan of the Scots side of my grandmother's family.

Bill

felix
10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
"You do not dress to please yourself; you dress to not offend your associates", was said to me by our token black person on the job where I worked in Houston. This was said immediately after I made a comment to him about always being dressed way above the call of duty. This person was a first class individual, and very well educated as well. ... felix

crazy mark
10-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Haven't worn a suit or owned one since high school graduation. Uncle Sam dressed me for 4 years in a sailor (CG) suit for 4 years. Jeans and a couple pair of slacks later it is jeans, t-shirts and some other dress type shirts. Haven't worn a tie in over 20 years. My family wouldn't know what to do if I did have a suit on. Lot's of funerals and weddings and only had one person tell me I wasn't dressed appropriate. I asked her if she dressed her husband every day. He was a shirt tail relative. The family cracked up in the middle of the funeral and shortly thereafter they got divorced as I embarrassed her and he took my side. It was my Uncle's funeral and he wouldn't have cared if I wore shorts and a t-shirt to his funeral.

Lee
10-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Probably gonna buy one more suit someday. I'll get planted in it, and then I don't care what they wrap around my neck. I won't mind.
Until then jeans, a tee shirt, or for those more formal occasions a button-down shirt will do just fine.
At 58 years of age I just had a boss tell me he bet I wished I'd shaved more often, just having been passed up for an advanced position. I thanked him, told him No I had no regrets, and that I wouldn't forget his comment the next time around. They, them and him, can all go F*&^%$#@! themselves before I ever apply for that again. Experience doesn't matter. It might keep you alive, but it ain't diddly-squat for advancement. At least in the merry old land of OKHIO, the ass-clowns rule..........................Lee;-)