PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 340 problem

twotrees
10-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I picked up a 340 in 30-30 for a new young hunter. I have loaded some low kick rounds for him , so all that is good.

BUT the rifle almost refuses to fire on the first pull of the trigger. Lift the bolt handle and reset the main spring and it goes off almost every time. I thought it was my reloads, but they fire everytime in my Trapper 30-30. I had the kids Dad soak the bolt in Kerosene for a week and blow out the junk, no help still same problem.

The mark in the primer, when it fires, is Fine, so I don't think it's the pin. But being an old gun I'm betting on the main spring being weak. I'll order one from gun parts and try to install it, Any Hints on what not to do when removing that spring on a 340??

Is there anyway that the safety could be causing this problem?

Thanks In advance.

TwoTrees

MtGun44
10-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Is there any hit at all on the first failed attempt?

If not, I'd figure out how the safety works and see if it isn't
somehow messing you up.

If there is a weak dent at the first try and a better dent on
the second, I'd guess a weak firing pin spring or more old
grease inside the bolt. Boil the bolt in soapy water for
a few minutes and scrub with a bore brush inside.

Bill

KCSO
10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
I have the schematic on the gun at home. I'll e mail them to you if you send me a PM. I would strip the bolt completely clean and reassemble and be prepared to buy a new mainspring.

txbirdman
10-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I had one that did the same thing. I ended up buying an extra powered firing pin spring from Wolfe and that solved my problem

dubber123
10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I've got a Savage 219 in 30-30 that misfires occasionally. I'm sure it sat with the action cocked it's whole life, ruining the mainspring. I have been shooting only lighter loads such as 16 grs. of 2400, and have been using large pistol primers. I found that the softer Federal pistol primers reduced the amount of misfires to 0. This may help till you can get it fixed.

twotrees
10-18-2007, 07:20 PM
and will get it next week. I'll take my oldest's boy's Trapper Carbine for the young fellow to use this week and get the bolt from him. Hopefuly Gun Parts will get it to me before next weekend, so he can shoot his own gun.

My wife and I have given guns (With the parents permission) to several young hunters. If you look around most deer camps, most of us are getting a little long in the tooth. Any time a youngster shows interest in hunting, I'll do all I can to foster it. This kid's dad just under went bladder removal, so funds are not plentiful in that house. He does make sure the son gets to camp most weekends and does his best to make it a good time for his son. I'm just trying to help.

Thanks for all the replys, I'll get back to y'all when we get 'er done.

TwoTrees and RedFoxy

twotrees
10-24-2007, 06:52 AM
I have the gun back and sure could use the drawings.

Thanks,

TwoTrees

twotrees
11-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Installed the new main spring, Don't have any thing but the bolt, so will have to wait till I get to camp to see if it's going to work.

New one was 2 coils longer than the old one, should give him better service. I also taught him to down the trigger on bolt close, on an empty chamber. Should make this one last at least as long as the old one (40+ years)>

Thanks for the help.

TwoTrees

Now I gotta go cast some more 311291's so I can load up the cases he gave me back.

uscra112
11-18-2007, 10:37 PM
When you say it was 2 coils longer, do you mean it had 2 more turns, or that it had the same number but the old spring was sagged that much? It if was, I'd be a bit surprised - modern (i.e. post WW2) springs generally don't sag much, if at all. Although in a Savage, being built to a price, they might not have bought the best quality. (Now don't get all upset, you 340 lovers, I have one too, in .222, and it sure ain't leaving my safe anytime soon!)

I have a very early Savage 99 (year 1900) that would do that, and a new spring did fix it.

twotrees
11-18-2007, 10:47 PM
It had sagged that much. This is an Old gun and I'm sure it was in a closet ,cocked for most of it's life. When I re-installed the new one I did discover that the threaded end on the cocking piece allows for an adjustment/ take up. I set it for the proper ( From Howell's book) for center fire, and the spring pressure is much greater than with the old main spring. I'm sure this will fix the problem.

Thanks,

TwoTrees