PDA

View Full Version : Any postal workers here?

gsdelong
08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
We have had the same post office box for 27 years. Out of he blue the other day we got a application for a post office box and were told we could not renew our post office box until the application was filled out. My wife filled it out and sent in the application and check. We got everything back saying they could not accept it other than in person with proper ID. Anybody know if this is standard practice?

We have had some issues with the post office and random questions about what is in my boxes.

My wife lost a phone in the small post office, we called every week for over a month asking if anybody turned it in. Well last night almost two years later I got a call from Verizon that one the postal workers bought in my wife's phone and said it had been at the post office for a long time and nobody had claimed it.

I know they have a thankless job but between all problems with delivered without contents, wrong and missing mail and these two issues I am beginning to wonder.

Iowa Fox
08-11-2013, 02:08 PM
All depends on the folks working there. The local ones here are really good. Iowa City has the worst one I have ever seen or been to. Rude employees, they even have parking meters in the parking lot. I was there once and will never go back. My wife sat in the car as I refused to feed the meter.

Bad Water Bill
08-11-2013, 03:53 PM
All depends on the folks working there. The local ones here are really good. Iowa City has the worst one I have ever seen or been to. Rude employees, they even have parking meters in the parking lot. I was there once and will never go back. My wife sat in the car as I refused to feed the meter.

Sounds like you have a transplanted Chit Kaga postal guy running your post office.

Check if they have permission from the fed and city to install and collect the fees.

You might get a new postmaster and have the old one joining BUBBA.

Taylor
08-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Firstly I am not a clerk,so anything I say can not be absolute,but 23 years TIS as a carrier. All clerks at our offices have a cardboard box they keep under the counter for lost things.How long they keep them I don't know.Yes applications are done in person! Don't know if renewals are different,I don't think that a new number would be in order though.I can find out for sure tomorrow when I go to work.

Was your box up for renewal? If not sounds like BS to me.
It's really none of their business what is in your mail.The Postal Inspection Service are the only ones who can raise question's and open mail.They don not open mail randomly!If they do open it,then they already have the goods on "you".
If it is labled Media Mail--then any clerk can open it for review to make sure it is in fact media,(books etc.).

gsdelong
08-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Same box number just have never had to fill out an application for a renewal in 25 years. Thought it was strange. Usually just send the check.

jcwit
08-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Finally gave up my PO Box and switched to home delivery. I have had the same box for 32 years, my Dad & Mom had the same box as mine since they built the PO in 1938, to the best of my knowledge Dad never had to renewal, I know I never did. This means my family had the same PO box for 75 years.

There had in the past been some issues with delivery, but now with the new Post Master, everything is well. Frankly I can not see how they deliver the amount of pieces per day without many more errors. I get service from anywhere in the U.S. in 3 days from shipment.

firefly1957
08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Several years ago i got hit with the same regulation change they required two pieces of I.D. for each person getting mail at the post office box and they wanted photo copies on file. Because both my kids are out of state but still get mail there they could not give ID's and there mail was returned to sender . I did not trust the drug addict they had at that office and had my mail moved to second house were i am now i am so glad to get out of that town and the lousy entire mail facility they had. NOTE i did not have any mail forwarded i contacted all companies and friends with my new address because that group of employees was untrustworthy my current postal employees are so much better i am glad i moved.

Rex
08-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Our P.O. box must be renewed each year and a photo ID must be shown. Our town is 600 people. Them's the rules.

pdawg_shooter
08-12-2013, 08:24 AM
I was rolling my wife's IRA over into mine after she passed. Sent a check to my broker 50 miles from here in a neighboring town. It took 7 working days, nine total days to get there. Now that's service for you!

Bad Water Bill
08-12-2013, 08:44 AM
I sent out a mailing to folks the next town over. In order to see when I should start contacting the folks I sent one to myself also.

All were sent first class and the P O IS less than a mile from my home.

One full week later I finally received my letter. So much for fast service.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Taylor
08-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I talked to one of the window clerks this morning,she said a new system and application has been established.And that they are just updating records.Has to be done that way.

jcwit
08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Our P.O. box must be renewed each year and a photo ID must be shown. Our town is 600 people. Them's the rules.

Must be a new rule then.

sparky45
08-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I live in SE Kansas. In order to get a letter/postcard to my mother who lives 45 miles from me, the letter is routed 95 miles to the west, then 200 miles to the southeast (Tulsa ), then back in state 150 miles to the north of me ( Fort Scott ), and then into the normal shipping pattern(s). That's if you call any of that normal. Ever wonder why they lose so much money? BTW, it only takes about 5 or 6 days to make that journey.

dakotashooter2
08-12-2013, 12:19 PM
LOL in my community local mail is first sent to a larger community 40 miles away where it is sorted then returned to my town and delivered................sigh............

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-12-2013, 12:31 PM
When I lived in La Veta, CO, I could send mail to my children in Colorado Springs (where the sorting center is), and they would have it the next day. I once sent something via over-night mail, and it took two days because they could not find the house.

Alvarez Kelly
08-12-2013, 12:53 PM
A few weeks ago I dropped a small package into one of the big blue mail boxes in a small town in Illinois. It was early in the afternoon. It was delivered to the addressee in Texas the next day.

They must be going something right.

Bad Water Bill
08-12-2013, 01:10 PM
You have a big blue box?

They were removed from my area over 20 years ago and we now have to drive to the drop in box at the post office and force your letters at least far enough in that they will hopefully stay there.

Now if it is later than about 9 PM try another town or come back tomorrow.

Alvarez Kelly
08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Yep. Lots of big blue boxes all over town. At least 6 more right outside the Post Office.

jcwit
08-12-2013, 01:36 PM
We have a Big Blue Box, for the drive up folks to drop letters in. This is No. Indiana.

Regarding service just got today 2 packages from Fullerton, CA shipped to No. Indiana. Ordered Aug. 8th and arrived 3 business days, not to shabby IMO. This service is normal.

gwpercle
08-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Was tracking a package from Midway ( new red dot sight) when it gets to town, at the main post office, at 8:20 AM, it is marked UNDELIVERABLE as addressed and returned to sender( they sent it back to Midway)....The address was correct and I have lived at this address since 1973 and my wife was at home at that time. They never attempted to deliver anything... No wonder they loose so much money....that's no way to run a business.

Gary

Phoenix
08-12-2013, 02:38 PM
I renewed and paid my parents PO box two weeks ago. No questions, No ID, nothing. Just took the money and said they would put the receipt in the box. They were over 2000 miles away at the time and forgot their online account password.

I am really thinking this is a regional thing.

missionary5155
08-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Greetings
Mailed a leter from here in Arequipa to Central Oklahoma. Was in Miami in 36 hours. Then took 24 days to OK. I have done buisness with the recipient so he knew I was not lying about the envelope being sent.
What really irks me is that I paid for certified mailing so it was signed for each step of the way. But just because some PO employees sign for articles does not mean they will actually move it along.
I realise there are always some bad eggs in the bucket... but when bad eggs know they have a garenteed job and the "System" will protect them then I have little respect for the corrupt system.
When I was home last I received a long empty box in the mail. Laying on the front porch was the poastal box with the end ripped out and nothing inside (supposed to be a 30-30 barrel). I ran down the delivery feller and asked him if he did not think it was odd he was leaving an obvious empty box on my porch. His reply was " it is not my job to wonder about a packages condition". So I asked him to file a damage reciept. He said he did not have to as it was delivered.
Then there was the solidly packaged Bear Bow a Postal employee "set aside" in a corner so it would not get damaged. Sat there for 3 weeks till the sender demanded and was permitted to search the mail area but was garenteed it was not there as the PO employees had looked many times.
So bottom line... Hard to have much respect for outfits that opperate without accountability and rudely attend those who they are paid to serve.
Mike in Peru

TreeKiller
08-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote(What really irks me is that I paid for certified mailing so it was signed for each step of the way. But just because some PO employees sign for articles does not mean they will actually move it along.)
Certified mail is not signed for Along the way only at delivery Registered mail is.

gsdelong
08-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Taylor thanks a lot for checking on this for me. Gsdelong

Lance Boyle
08-12-2013, 09:46 PM
I had that long trip around for work mails.

I lived at the edge of one postal region where the flow went E and then S to the state capital, then forwarded to the large city hub where our office was. It was about 60 miles to the office but the mail went about 350 miles to get there and took 3 more days than if I drove to the next post office down the road.

I get the same thing when people ask why our territories stop where they do, well you have to draw a line somewhere if your dividing things up!

mroliver77
08-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Used to be if I sent my next door neighbor a card the rural carrier would post mark it (sometimes with an ink pen) and deliver it.

OP stated "it is a thankless job". My mail people are friendly and do a good job. I thank them when I get a chance. They really appreciate it. My small mail lady totes 65 lb boxes of lead down my 1/8 mile lane and then 100 feet to my door! I told her when they are that heavy the contents cannot be harmed and to just roll them out beside the lane. Nope she totes them to the porch if I am not home.

Flat rate boxes from small town OH to somebody's front porch CA in three days! I am impressed!
J

dkf
08-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Used to be if I sent my next door neighbor a card the rural carrier would post mark it (sometimes with an ink pen) and deliver it.

That still happens depending on the office.;)

My mom and sister work for USPS. There have been some issues with criminal activity and PO boxes thus the change. The few *****s make it more of a pain for the masses.